UFC and MMA Thread | Page 27 | FerrariChat

UFC and MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Highlow, Aug 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Dude - I am jealous!! I wanted to go, but my wife and I couldn't get a sitter. Wachovia is only an hour from me :(

Enjoy it - should be a great night!

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm so bummed, It's my Wife's B-day on the 6th. & my family (Parents & Sisters) wants to take us out on Sat. night to celebrate. Give me a break! I got UFC to watch. I don't have time for parties!!!

I want: Penn to win even though Florian deserves a title shot. (im a big Penn fan)
    I don't think Anderson will have a tough time with Griffin.
    Sadollah has to prove himself to me. He's been off TOO LONG! I don't see him winning
    I'd like to see Grove beat Almeida
    I'm rooting for Josh Neer.
    This rest I'd like just to see good fights.
    Hope Dan Cramer wins
    Leites vs Sakara fight is actually a good match up
    Rob Emerson use to train at the same gym as me. so ill be rooting 4 him.
    Arron Riely ALWAYS has wars!

3. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    He's not listed to fight.........or was he added to the card?

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
  5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
  6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Well then, Roop it is.

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Man, After looking at the weigh in's, BJ all the way. Florian looked so much smaller than BJ. Meaning BJ will definitely Dominate him on the ground (that was already a given) and his hand will be heavier. BJ will be stronger all around.

8. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I agree. Neither he nor his agent wants to risk him losing. This way, he does not fight anybody dangerous and gets to keep his mystique alive.

I certainly would not buy PPV to watch him fight anybody on Strikeforce, if they ever decide to do PPV there.

9. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    #659 kizdan, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    I pick BJ too, however KenFlo is no slouch. If he gets into a position where he can drop some elbows - watch out! I think he sharpens them in a pencil shapener, cause those things cut like a hot knife through butter......

Note: Amir sure weighed in light, at 166.5lbs

10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Amir has to prove something to me. I'm not convinced he's real good. I know he's tough but I hope i change my mind after 2nite.

11. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Remember half and full Nelson (arm behind back being lifted upward) being a favorite submission for neighborhood bullies while growing up. Perhaps even the reason Nelson is named Nelson on the Simpson's. Why doesn't this move work in MMA? Is there some easy way professional fighters can get out of it or is it frowned upon as a granny move or outlawed for being too easy?

Same goes for nerve pressure points. My chiropractor lived 2 doors down while growing up. Good thing for when I pinched nerves playing sports. But for his own kicks sometimes he'd be on his walk around block and stop to say hello and then put me on my knees with a Spock nerve squeeze on my hand or shoulder. yeah, it'd make the sport look bad if some fighter had another's back and made him cry like a girl and submit by simply squeezing a nerve. But is it prohibited in rules or people just don't do it cause its not fighting?

Same goes for foot sweeps. Never seen anyone try one. For sure they aren't as easy as martial arts movies make them appear, but surprised fighters wouldn't try when other fighter is off balance anyway.

12. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    How did I miss this! The Barn Cat is fighting tonight... Tamdam McCory. If anyone remembers, after his win at UFC 96, he gave in my opinion what was one of the best post-fight interviews I've ever heard when he said he wanted to ride in on his thunderhorse and handle business. Too funny.

13. Vuongnguyen05

Vuongnguyen05 Karting

May 16, 2008
    What a night, Anderson Silva proved to me that he is the pound for pound king. Absolutely made a show out of Forrest Griffin and having his way the entire time. It is also very sad to see Forrest run off at the end, where's the class to shake the man's hand even though you loss. BJ was methodical and stuck to his plan in picking Kenny apart. I was very impress with his take down defense the entire fight and how he completely neutralized Kenny all night. Kenny was gracious enough to shake BJ's hand after he got RNC'd (classy guy all the way). It was a shame how Amir's fight ended. The punches weren't even hitting him (barely grazing if you could call that), but he made no attempt to block it so the ref had no choice but to jump in and stop the fight. I think he felt that since the punches were not really connecting, he didn't see the need to get his arm up and defend. The other underscore matches weren't that exciting as it was a very technical affair with both opponents feeling each other out and not going for the kill. All in all, a great co headliner with plenty of action and great showcase of skill and speed.

14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Anderson needed that. Bj was Great. Hey, You got to give Florian ALOT of credit. I kinda got nervous there in the 3rd. rd. I thought BJ was gonna tired out and Florian started looking like he found his rythem.

15. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Overall a good night, BJ looked good and seemed to get serious only when taking Florian to the ground, prior to that he wanted a highlight reel knockout. Florian never looked very threatening.

As for Silva, a fine win, but I think Forrest just fought terribly. He had no strategy and just played into Silva's hands. It looked almost faked, as he was just pathetic.

16. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Miragliotta needs to get the boot. I thought I was watching Vera/Werdum lastnight. Poor Sadollah... waits over a year for his first fight and gets totally screwed.

17. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Griffin claims he ran out of the ring to get medical attention ASAP due to a dislocated jaw. I call BS, there were planty of Docs on hand at ringside.. Overall counting the prelims---The fights sucked..... I was very disappointed to have paid alot of $$$ to go see that mess.....

18. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Griffin never claimed anything. It was simply a source "close to the camp" who said that, which has now been refuted by several news reports. Griffin was embarrassed, rightfully so (he was absolutely made a fool of) and wanted to get the hell out of there. I don't blame him.

But it's too bad the card went the way it did for you guys. Sometimes you just never know with the UFC... I'm lucky enough to have had my first UFC be what I consider one of the best cards they've ever put on (UFC 92, where every main card fight ended in a TKO or KO) but most of my friends' first UFC was 97 in Montreal and we all know what a snoozefest that was. Luck of the draw I guess...

19. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    #669 kizdan, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    Penn is the man at LW. He is as good at LW as GSP is at WW. It was hard to tell if he was getting tired. He seemed to be breathing a little hard, but his fighting was pretty consistent. KenFlo fought as well as he could, but I don't see anyone at LW being able to beat BJ.

Silva..........what can I say? He is absolutely incredible! As big a GSP fan that I am, I almost don't want to see him go up in weight to fight Silva for fear of a similar outcome that everyone else faces. Dana really needs to get Silva to fight Machida for the LHW belt........that would be one hell of an interesting fight.

As for Forrest......sadly, I think he ran out of there in tears. I mean, you say how he reacted when he lost to Jardine - I think it would have been similar. I felt so bad for him.

20. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I read that Silva states he will never fight Machida but not sure of excatly why but heard of their friendship being the issue. Is it true that Silva won't fight Machida because they are good friends? Would be one of the best fights that could be put together though.

Agreed, that fighting Silva would not be in the best interest of GSP. Silva looked good at 205 and should stay at LHW and GSP should stay fighting WW or MW.

As for Forrest, man, he looked totally outclassed by Silva. Almost like they pulled someone out of the crowd to fight, it was like he shouldn't even have been in the octogon with the Spider. Maybe his head wasn't into the fight for some reason. Devastating loss for Griffin. Hope he can rebound.

21. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    In Griffin's Defense, When you get KO'ed like that, Your really not all there. I bet he didn't even know he fought or what happened. He probably thought he was running into the ring?????????????????

22. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    First of all, They are friends. He's right. Why fight your Great friend. You won't have killer instinct. And besides, that would be a BORING fight. Think about it, There styles are VERY similar.

23. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    With Anderson moving to LHW, I don't see the GSP/Silva fight ever happening. Firstly, GSP has been more than hesitant to move to MW, although now that Anderson isn't there, he might make the transition seeing as I don't think he really has anyone left to fight at 170 (his association with Nate Marquardt might make this a little difficult however). Secondly, after how easily Silva disposed of Griffin, I don't think Dana wants one of his marquee fighters in the ring with Silva like that. I just don't see GSP coming out victorious, and I don't see how that fight would help his career.

Kinda choked to see Anderson vacate the MW title, as I would have loved to see Silva/Hendo 2. I'd like to see Silva/Tito as well.

24. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I disagree..........I think it would be a great fight. 2 guys at arguably the same skill level, which is of the highest order. It may end up being very technical, but the true MMA fan will appreciate that.

25. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I just read that Silva will most likely fight Hendo for the belt.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/15782/whats-next-for-anderson-silva-likely-middleweight-title-fight-with-dan-henderson.mma

Where did you see that he is vacating the MW title? I have not seen that anywhere.