Buying a car (used) in NJ, titling it in PA? | FerrariChat

Buying a car (used) in NJ, titling it in PA?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by SefacHotRodder, Aug 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I might be picking up a car this weekend. An amazing deal came up on something and i have no idea how the whole title transfer and stuff works.

The car is for sale in NJ and currently has NJ plates but i'm from PA and would be getting it titled/plated/insured in PA. What do i have to do? Obviously i can't just show up and drive off. What steps have to be taken before i can legally drive the car?

2. ScuderiaShield

ScuderiaShield Karting

Sep 20, 2008
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm assuming this is a private party sale. Jump on the PA MVDs website. They may have a way for you to electronically issue yourself a short-term (i.e. 3 days) temp permit for moving the vehicle from where you purchased it to make repairs and then to register. If not, the seller may be able to issue one in a similar fashion for out of state buyers. Then you just head down to the MVD with the title and run with it. I'm not sure how PA inspections work but I assume if it is like Jersey you will need to have the car inspected and emissioned first.

If it is a dealer sale, the dealer will issue you an out of state temporary plate good for 20 days.

3. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #3 SefacHotRodder, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  4. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    I bought my car in Jersey. (live in PA). Got temp. tag from DMV. Had to show insurance binder or card to prove vehicle was insured. Registered it next day.

5. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So you went to the DMV with the new owner? Did you go to the NJ or PA DMV? Do they need the specific insurance card for that car? I don't think i can get the physical piece of paper soon enough.

6. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    I went to PA dmv. Brought a notarized signed copy of the title and a copy of the insurance card. My insurance company only needed a vin and they emailed me a temporary id card.

7. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  8. s14roller

s14roller Karting

May 3, 2008
    Don't forget to activate insurance the morning of transaction to cover the car while you are driving it home...

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, thats being taken care of now.

10. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    Congrats! Post some photos when you get her home.

11. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Lol. Its not what you guys probably think it is. I can tell you however that i might be joining some of you on track at some point in the near future if it all works out...

12. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    +1

13. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ok, so basically i would just exchange the money with the current owner, he would give me the title. I would then just go straight to the DMV, give them the PO's title. They would issue a new one in my name and then i'd be good? (not counting inspection + insurance. I'd have it insured before i went to pick it up)

Do i need any paperwork to show that the car has been sold to me or is it simply the fact that i now have the title?

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Don't forget the sales tax!!!

gotta pay that when you transfer the title.

I think you want your seller to go with you. And easiest way? Go to a title shop/auto tag place (google "auto tag transfer PA") They do it while you wait, file all the papers, etc, costs a couple bucks, but insures that you get it done right, if you can avoid it, don't register in NJ and then re-register in PA. Don't want to pay taxes twice, do you? And I'm not sure that might not happen.

DM

15. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Problem is that the car is a long way from PA. Probably a good hour so it'd be a pain for us both to go all the way out there

Can i even get it titled in NJ if my primary residence is in PA?

16. Cscat87

Cscat87 Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #16 Cscat87, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
    I purchased a car in NJ and titled it at my PA address just a few months ago. If you can, have the buyer meet you at the nearest PA DMV and do the transaction there.

What I did was just drive the car from NJ stright to a PA DMV with an old set of plates I had laying around, but I don't reccomend that if you're the type to always expect the worst since if you get pulled over they can tow it.

17. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Like i said, he's a long way into NJ. Not really any PA DMV's near him. Is that the only option?

I was gonna slap the plates from my current car on it and drive it straight to the DMV myself?

Maybe i'll just take the hit and title it in NJ first? Can i do that if i'm a PA resident?

18. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  19. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Does PA requre title transfers to be notarized?

20. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #20 SefacHotRodder, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. NicoleRaulston

BANNED

Jun 23, 2014
    There are a lot of benefits for having your own car. However, owning it somehow a little bit hard since these past few years we experience recession. If you are really interested, there are good websites where you can rely on. They will help you find the best dealership near at your place. How many times have you needed more info about a pre-owned or new car or truck and turned to an internet search on “auto loans in Michigan