AMEX CENTURION (BLACK) CARD | FerrariChat

AMEX CENTURION (BLACK) CARD

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Phil@SFSportsCars, Jul 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Phil@SFSportsCars

Sep 12, 2008
    Bay Area, CA/NY
    Does anyone here carry a Centurion card? With The declining benefits are you considering getting rid of it? I find myself using my 'lowly' Platinum benefits (the ones that haven't been eliminated) less and less. Truth be told the Black Card interests me more for its "wow" factor than the perks themselves as Starwood Platinum and some of the other majors are now eliminated.

Just curious on user's feedback.

Thanks

P

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I'll bet you have a nice swimming pool too... ;)

3. BAKY

BAKY Formula 3

May 23, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bobby
    I am sure there are many people here that carry the Centurion Card.....In reality you can do pretty much the same thing with the green, gold, or platinum card as the centurion card. Its 99 percent wow factor and they charge you $2500 a year for it......that being said if you really have one, like the wow factor, and dont mind paying $2500 per year I would keep it because after August 1 the new requirements kicks in that you spend and pay $500k per calender year versus the $250k spent and paid now...I have a Visa Black, and although its not exactly the same thing it gets pretty much the same response for $500 year.

4. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #4 SefacHotRodder, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the centurion recently. Alot of people on another forum are saying they've downgraded from the centurion to the platinum because its just not worth it

Are you really willing to shell out that much money a year just to have a cool looking card?

No concierge service on the Gold card (either of them)

If you're interested in getting platinum style benefits without spending the money, the citi platinum american express card offers a lot of the benefits for a lot less:

https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/cardDetail.do?screenID=927

5. Moving Chicane

Moving Chicane Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    SoCal.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Perhaps put a link to this in the SoCal section as several folks there carry one. Status symbol they are not anymore; and if you are not a heavy traveler, the benefits are minimal.

6. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I had a Centurion card for years and down graded to Platinum this year as the benefits have decreased. As mentioned the spending requirement is doubling. Also the savings of 2100.00 is going to become some new carbon pieces for my 360 spider.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    black card make a solid statement

I'm not Jewish ;)

8. Phil@SFSportsCars

Sep 12, 2008
    Bay Area, CA/NY
    Sorry guys, maybe I wasn't clear. I currently carry a Platinum AMEX, and have considered the Centurion< but cannot justify the price jump vs benefits gain. I agree, If i were after the "shock factor" it would be much easier to pull the trigger. Was just curious if anyone found the increased benefits (which seem to get worse and worse year by year) to justify the cost.

Thanks for weighing in

9. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I wanted to see if anyone else (who still carries a Centurion card), if they like the new RM setup and the new card design? Anyone else tired of the paint chipping off? I carry a card wallet with a mechanism that push the cards out. I have to shake out the paint to prevent it from getting stuck in the spring. Paint chips off easily with my finger tips.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive had one for 20 years. its 5k a year now. no longer worth it. will probably cancel mine.

VAF84 likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ive had mine replaced twice and the new one keeps chipping off too. The old ones were the best quality.

12. speedyellow08

speedyellow08 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2012
    Houston,TX
    I totally agree with you. I have Black card and it does the same thing except the AMEX centurion lounge access which you can access with AmEx Platinum ($500). No one like AMEx overseas and it is not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow factor of a black = ZERO (Warren Buffet carry’s a green, HE has wow factor)
    Perks = decreasing
    Spend = increasing

The platinum card is the way to go. I’m not impressed by what people spend; I’m impressed by what people save and by the extra value they get for their dollars.

14. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Platinum's perks add up pretty quickly against the $550 annual fee. $50 to use at Saks twice a year. $15 for Uber/Uber Eats each month (and $20 more in December). That's $300 right there. $200 credit towards airline extras, free Global Entry/TSA precheck, etc. and enhanced status in all the hotel and car rental programs.

I have mine as the payment method on Amazon, so I'm always redeeming dollars there, as well.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    to be fair the saks 5th ave and equinox memberships wld have made the black card worth it...post covid the equinox is worth zero...hopefully if enough people cancel the perks shld get better

ROMO likes this.
  16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Let us not forget all the “add to your card” offers. I had rebates on my Platinum card in excess of $1,000 last year on items I would have bought anyway.

JAM1, JJ and desmomini like this.
  17. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Glad you mentioned that! I see they now have $50 back from online purchases at homedepot.com, up to twice this year!

JJ likes this.
  18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you have a Biz Plat card you get $200 back from Dell.com.

paulchua, JJ and desmomini like this.
  19. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    We have a community/building gym at two places and home gym in the third so Equinox as a main driver isn’t appealing to me. I use many of the rest of the perks though. I do hope for a spike in cancellations though, or something to push Amex to improve the ancillary services so they’re levels above the other cards. Outside of that there’s no point in paying the black fee IMO... not when Platinum offers so much for peanuts.

20. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    FYI, the HomeDepot.com $50 off perk can be used twice - I discovered yesterday there is no waiting period, so it works for back-to-back orders!

Has to be manually added under "shopping" on the Amex site.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes its overpriced. the black card is alot like hp, lots of people have them now vs 10 yrs ago, cool factor is down and marginal utility is diminishing fast.

paulchua and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  22. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I think the green amex is more rare than the Centurion. I see the Centurion more these days.
    Yeah they just sent me my 3rd (new design) card and lets see if this card holds up to use. Looks the same even though they said they fixed the problem. What I do not get is why the new Platinum business card (I just opened this account for business) card has the new transmitting chip but the card has a metal front and back. I was told the reason they changed the design on the Centurion was to fit the new transmitting chip. Someone at Amex must be watching to much designer television and is into wrinkle black texture.
    But I need to find out if I use points via Amex travel site, that I get 50% of points back. I just used a million points for a trip and would have been nice if this was true.
    I am in the majority that the Centurion perks are just not adding up. I pay $7500 a year for my card. I told the Mrs if I could change hers to Platinum and she told me to take a hike.

IloveGT and ScottS like this.
  23. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I wonder if they raised the annual fee to make people drop off.

24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Biz Plat rebates 35% of points used for award travel on your preferred airline.

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    highly unlikely

speedyellow08 likes this.