the illogical notion of buying low mileage cars | Page 2 | FerrariChat

the illogical notion of buying low mileage cars

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheMayor, Aug 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I think the only thing that really matters is the previous owner...

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Cars wear from two things- miles and time. If the miles are lower, the wear will be less.

That's my .02.

I always prefer low mileage cars, but I don't generally buy cars used. I use them however I see fit, and I generally put a lot of miles on, even if it's a car where people like low miles.

Just my preference. Sure, people say low mile cars have seals go bad or whatever... I can't say I've personally experienced that. But shocks, ball joints, paint, trannies, rings, rear-ends, tires, interiors and just about everything else will have a lot more wear with high miles vs. low miles.

I don't grudge anyone else buying whatever they want and using it however they want. I love when people keep the miles low, then I can buy them with low miles and have more peace of mind that less 'stuff' happened to the car over it's life.

Low miles are no reason not to get a thorough PPI though, but I'll always prefer a low miles car to a higer miles one. 3k miles vs 7k miles I won't care too much. But if I was buying a 360, I'll take the one with 8k miles over the one with 42k miles any day of the week, depending on price and condition.

3. TM328

TM328 Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    It seems like low mileage guys respect the high mileage guys but thats a one way road. The distrust of a low mileage cars is nonsense unless your backing it up with physical facts such as worn out parts and general wear and tear. I bought a low mileage car 7 years ago and have had a great experience and never felt the need to have an opinnion on someone else's decision to rack up miles. I respect the people that have higher mileage cars but generally think they spend a lot more dollars overall but less per mile. I dont put a lot of miles on because I have a few other interests and priorities that take up time.

4. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.

This thread should have ended with Bullfighter's post. (And this is coming from someone with a 75k mile 308.)

But of course, in true FerrariChat fashion, everyone has to add something and voice their opinion . . . :rolleyes:

(this post is so paradoxical! :D)

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Then you won't mind changing the subject to timing belts?

6. mwct

mwct Karting

Oct 17, 2008
    Just so glad the new car doesn't have timing belts!

7. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    If buying a ferrari I would want it to have been driven though not necessarily high mileage somewhere in between would be ideal and with a full service history showing it was well cared for and needing little to nothing to be in excellent shape. I wouldn't want something that sat for 5-10 years with little or no use though to me that can be just as bad as a high mileage car

8. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    As a 55k mile 360 Spider owner who respects low mileage guys but doesn't believe in huge low mileage premiums I'd say maybe the lesson here is to not get caught up in the horror stories of either the low mileage cars or the high mileage ones. The level of care is most important.

In my case, I just dropped off my 360 for service yesterday and it was the first time I haven't had a "list". Just do a 5k service--everything else is perfect. This car is literally running better than ever (knock on wood).

9. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    pretty hard to do in reality. somewhere in that 40k mileage you are probably gonna want to take somebody for a ride and what do you say when they ask you how fast your going? anybody that knows anything about cars is gonna notice your speedo isn't working the minute you roll away from the curb. when that gets out in the community, it's worse than trying to save a few bucks. not worth it in the real world.

10. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    +3, well said

11. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What entertains me about these threads is that when people are buying cars, they want a low mileage car; if two Ferrari's are in the same exact condition and about the same price, one has 10k miles, the other 47k miles, the 10k car will be the one the guy purchases more often than not. On the other hand, when people are selling a car, they will post on threads just like this one ranting and raving about why people are obsessed with low mileage cars. I've noticed that people talk a tough game against trailer queens, but when it comes to buying, that is what they want; when it comes to selling, they complain about everyone wanting a trailer queen.

Me, I fish from both ends of the peer. My first Ferrari was an 85 328 with 9500 miles. The second one was a 95 456 with 27,000 miles on it (considered by many as "high miles" for a Ferrari). I ended up spending more money fixing the 456 than the 328. So much for trailer queens being more expensive to "get right"

12. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Don't get me started on you "middle mileage" guys.

13. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    If I had the choice between a cheap high mile car showing normal wear and tear or a low mile car, I would opt for the low mile car. I will probably never buy a new exotic so the closer the car is to new condition the better for me. I want to buy the most pristine example I can afford. Although, I think low milage is more important on the older, more collectible models. Maybe they are best to show how the cars really were and how they drove when new.

14. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

On the contrary, vintage is the one place where milage really doesn't matter very much. I really doubt anyone shying away from a pre 1960 car because it has too many miles on it. At least I never have.

15. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    True. I don't think milage matters if you are going to restore it. Because after a good quality resto milage is pretty much meaningless. But an all original low mile car in great condition is something special for the collectables. Their only original once.

16. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #41 MBFerrari, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
    So let me kick in my .02 - I am looking for a 308QV or 328. Might trade/sell the 348SS - not sure yet. It is natural for us to look for lower mileage cars when buying. Not talking 200 miles a year for example, but if a car has 40k miles vice 65k miles, if the condition is even close I am taking the lower mileage car. It is double jeapordy in a way, because those who say, "mileage doesn't matter" are sure as hell not going to buy my car.

Because buyers of cars (at least in the USA) care about mileage (right or wrong) it matters. Trust me, it matters.

Similarly color matters. To those who say it doesn't, go out and buy yourself the next lime green Ferrari you can and see how fast you can sell it.

MB

17. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    +100

I'd rather buy a pre-scratched driven Ferrari, maintained of course, but with road time. I'm not going to let a Ferrari just sit around.

If I want to gawk at a museum piece, I'll go to a museum!

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    IMHO Mileage and age are less important than condition, preferably backed up with a healthy service history.
    I was lucky to even find a nice 308. Not many out there.
    I can understand though with for example a 360 that there's a lot more choice and sure a lower mileage 360 will be easier to sell, as long as its condition is right.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The only advantage of a low mileage car or motorcycle is that the condition of the paint and trim, etc. is better. Mechanically they are probably worse than a well maintained car.

Now considering the hardest and most expensive part to fix on exotics, etc. is the paint and trim ... you can understand the want for the low mileager. Also the originalitists will be upset if you paint the car but could not give a stuff if you replaced all pistons, etc. in the engine as long as the number is right.

I've recently bought a 1997 m/c with only 8,000km's on the clock ... all the switch gear, etc. is like new. Obviously I've changed all the fluids and replaced the tyres but so far it is waking up to proper use fine (already over 10,000km's in 3 weeks use). The only leak that has developed is the where the rev counter cable connects to the engine so that seal will be replaced as soon as the part gets to me. It was a risk but ...
    Pete

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My first sports car purchase was a 1988 Ford Mustang GT. That was in 1990, the car had 75,000 kilometres (about 47000 miles), that would be about 23000 per year. My second sports car purchase was a 1990 Nissan 300ZX, it has about 110,000 kilometres (about 69000 miles), that was in 1998, so that is about 8625 miles per year.

I owned the Mustang for 8 years with less than $3,000 in service bills (speaking of repairs only, not maintenance)

I owned the 300ZX for 3 years and had about $2,700 in service bills. Do the math.

I am not implying that ALL Mustangs are as reliable as the one I had, nor am I implying that EVERY 300ZX will amount to about $900 per year, but what I am implying is:

who cares about mileage, get the car that YOU like the best, which is in the most pristine condition with respect to the model you are after, and that has the best service history and owner that actually cared and took very good care of the car.

21. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    #46 petearron, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    My first Ferrari a 328 had around 75000 miles when I bought it, it ran perfect but cosmetically needed work paint nicks everywhere when you looked close and interior, fixed all that but the issue with higher mileage cars is more unexpected things can happen such as metal fatigue cracks in the door jam areas from stress due to being a targa and flex-ng and other issues. Sold it with close to 90k miles still ran perfect no leaks but took a big hit from the high miles and had difficulty selling it even though it ran and looked better than most true 20k mile 328s

This car was extremely well maintained since new over 30000 in reciepts but
    a guy here even started a thread about whether he should buy a high mile 328 my car and most said stay away unless you get it super cheap, watched the thread sure enough he made me some low ball offer which I declined then he ended up buying a 308 with supposedly low miles and I watched over a period of time all the problems he had with it as he would post often and they were very expensive problems at that, I know the new owner of my old 328 had had relatively no problems with it years later gotta laugh at that one.

But having gone through that never again will I buy a high mileage Ferrari, anything above 18k miles is high mileage IMO and carries that stigma, while high mileage cars can be mechanically sound they are just too hard a sale unless you give them away similar to a salvage title car.