Airsickness | FerrariChat

Airsickness

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Chupacabra, Aug 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    OK, to give you a bit of backstory, the first 10 or so hours of my flight training (a bit beyond as well) were good for nothing other than getting me through pretty severe motion sickness. Even straight and level in turbulent air would cause my stomach to go berserk. Now, basic VFR is no problem and at one point I had progressed to a decent level of tolerance and was doing quite well with my aerobatics. Then, someone prop-struck the Citabria and that grounded it for a few months. Now, it's clear that I'm faced with regaining all of the tolerance I had built up as a few spins and loops brought my lunch up the other day. Additionally, I'm having some difficulty with the IFR training. After about .7 under the foggles, I have to remove them or I'll get sick.

This is driving me absolutely insane and slowing my progress as a pilot. I own the damn airplane I'm training in and my girlfriend is a CFII, so theoretically I could run the tanks dry practicing, but I can't stay up much beyond .7-.8 because of this BS. I know I should probably just be patient and let this work itself out, but I'm aggravated to the point of action. Plus, with the aerobatics, the motion sickness seems to be a bit more fierce than it was before! AHHH!!!

If anyone has any recommendations, ideas, or tried and true methods that will get me through this quickly, I would LOVE to hear about them!

2. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've heard good things about increasing ginger intake (powdered ginger or ginger tea) intake helping with motion sickness.

Granted, I haven't seen a clinical study proving the effectiveness, but it can't hurt.

3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Thanks! Unfortunately, I tried that, but to no avail. I also tried one of the electronic wristbands, but no luck there, either. Additionally, Dramamine doesn't work AND puts me to sleep (even non-drowsy). I'm sure the FAA wouldn't be pleased with a PIC on Dramamine anyway. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and get through it again. Bagels seem to work some, but I'm flying about 8 times a week right now, so I'll have to double my workout schedule to avoid becoming a fat a$$ if I go that route!

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :)

4. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You could always try acupuncture/pressure. They say it works, but, again, I can't say I've seen any clinical results that support effectiveness. Have you tried one of the wrist pressure bands? (I know you said below you've tried electronic ones, but I'm not sure of the difference, if any)

I've also heard breathing through your nose can help.

You could always have your ears looked at by an ENT doc. It's a longshot, but might turn something up.

5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Haven't tried the pressure bands, maybe I will give those a whirl.

Actually, I thought about going to an ENT. Now that you mention it, I think I will.

Thanks!

6. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mostly, good luck!

7. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    #7 Z06Kal, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
    One of my buddies had a really hard time with this when he was in pilot training for the air force. He was fine when he was getting his private pilot but when he started flying tweets doing military style flying and training he started failing all his check rides due to sickness. He wanted to be a fighter pilot his whole life and so you can imagine how aggresively he tried to attack his sickness. The airforce had a anti-sickness program that they put him in where they put you in a chair and spin you around over and over while you puke over and over. He spent everyday in this chair and started shaking off his sickness and passing his check rides with flying colors. Then terrible weather rolled in and they were grounded for two weeks and the sickness started all over again. Seems like unless you are flying almost everyday it's difficult if not impossible to stay acclimated if you are prone to motion sickness. In the end he failed too many check rides due to sickness and was taken out of the program. My opinion is if you are prone to motion sickness and there is no medical cure for it (ENT saying there is nothing they can do) you are pretty much not made to be doing aerobatics. Plenty of pilots have died from motion sickness and it's something you shouldn't mess around with.

8. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Well, I guess I'll be pushing up daisys before long, then. :)

Seriously, though, thank you for your concern. From what I gather, my sickness doesn't seem to be quite as violent as your friend's. It is extremely unpleasant, yes, but neither disorienting nor totally incapacitating. I remember flying back home on one of my first solo cross countries on a hot and bumpy day, control stick in one hand, barf bag and throttle in the other. Thankfully, those days are gone. It's unfortunate that I don't have access to a program like what your friend went through ("spin and puke" school, right?) because I think I would really benefit from that.

I also used to get sick while surfing, but that has disappeared nicely as well, and once the sickness goes away, it doesn't seem to matter how long I take off. If I take several weeks off from regular flying, same for surfing, I have no issues when I return now. It seems to be a progression (albeit a slow one) through comfort zones, and I think it's possible that the extra concentration required for acro and instruments (not to mention a little anxiety because I don't want to screw up) is exacerbating the tendencies I have.

At any rate, I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow. Hopefully, she will offer some options that the FAA will not frown upon.

If not, bagels it is...and a few more laps and sets per week. :)

9. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hey Chupacabra -- hope your ENT visit went well. And no worries if, when they shined the light in your ear it came out the other side: that happens to me, too.

10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    #10 Chupacabra, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    Hehe...THANKS! :)

Went OK...recommended I take an anti-nausea mixed with Sudephedrine when I'm not solo to get me over the hump. Today, I decided to try one of the anti-nausea pills just to see how I felt after using them. Since I have never tried an illegal substance I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure that's what Angel Dust would be like. Using that while I'm focusing on flying/learning is out of the question. I can certainly understand why these kinds of medicines are not allowed for a Pilot in Command; I took the pill at 3PM, then I could hardly stay awake to cook dinner, then I fell asleep two hours early and woke up an hour late this morning. I'm not kidding! So, bagels and time it is.

On a better note I spent over an hour staring at instruments the other day with nothing but a few hours old breakfast in me, and I didn't have any troubles! Seems like I have gotten through the "eyes inside" sickness pretty quickly!

11. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

That's the stuff - good news!

For what it's worth, I asked a friend who is frequently airsick and she reported that sucking on a peppermint helped greatly.

Who knows, and if nothing else you get a piece of candy.

Mostly, great to hear that things are getting better

12. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Thanks again! I'll have to try that, too. I have acro tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes!

13. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Candy might not be the best during acro.

...Just thinking of how hard it'd be to do the heimlich properly from the back seat of a Citabria....

14. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I'm so thrilled...

Had an acro flight today, can't even remember how many loops and rolls I did, and I had NO motion sickness whatsoever. God, I love bagels.

:)

15. bjhunt1975

bjhunt1975 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2006
    ICT
    Full Name:
    B.J.
    I will have to try bagels then...Imagine owning your own charter company, but being prone to motion sickness...happened as a kid, hasn't changed.

Some good points on here gents, thanks.
    BJ

16. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Ahhh...so I'm NOT the only one :) Well BJ, bagels seem to work pretty well, especially for normal flying. I typically eat one immediately before getting in the airplane, and it seems to last for a good while. Obviously, there is a lot of bulk to a bagel, and I imagine your body has time to adjust itself without a lot of sloshing around going on in your stomach (that will make you sick very quickly!). I suppose that explains the longer effects of the bagel method.

On a healthy note, whole wheat bagels (Thomas' is a good supermarket brand) are better because of lower caloric content, slightly higher nutritional value, and won't spike your blood sugar through the ceiling. They also taste good!

Final thing - kinda' gross, maybe TMI, but...make sure you do #2 before getting in the plane. That makes a big difference for me.

17. bjhunt1975

bjhunt1975 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2006
    ICT
    Full Name:
    B.J.
    Roger that!

18. robbreid

robbreid Karting

Feb 25, 2007
  19. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Two posts in there really resonated with me...one, the post about Phenergan, two the post about vomiting being "all in your head". I started using Phenergan on flights with my instructor to try to get acclimated to aerobatic routines. Basically thinking, OK, we'll go up, the instructor will toss me around as much as I can stand, and gradually, my body will get used to it. Throughout the very first flight that I used Phenergan, I was a superman. We did so many abrupt changes of direction, spins, loops, rolls, hammerheads...nothing phased me for quite some time. Of course, a few hours later, I felt like a zombie from hell who had gotten into the Jack Daniels. Legal issues aside, it was clear I could never use it as PIC or even carry on with the rest of my day after a flight on the pill.

It was about that time that I read the drug info and found that it takes two hours for the drug to exert it's maximum effectiveness. I had taken the pill -- you guessed it -- maybe 15-30 minutes before doing acro. Placebo, anyone? So, I laughed at myself, decided, "I don't need this $%^t, and haven't had trouble since. I had become so used to the thought of throwing up whenever the attitudes got a little unusual that my mind kind of expected it and made it a reality. Something about knowing I "couldn't" throw up got rid of the mental inclination toward puking. I'm very happy about that :) I have been flying solo acro for a while now, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Of course, I still use the bagel and ginger capsules, just in case!

20. I'm gone

I'm gone Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Phoenix,az
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That was helpfull, I've been wanting to get my ppl but have a real problem with motion sickness at times and hope it wont keep me from my goal.

21. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I think there is a lot of truth to this.

I always thought motion sickness had to do with ear canal issues. I'm surprised the ENT couldn't do more.

Do you have any congestion or allergies?

22. coverland

coverland Formula 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Colin
    I have the same problem.

This has only worked for me post-sickness. Never before.

Tried it, and it did work for me pretty well, but only for a short time.

I've never tried this for air-sickness, but it did help quite a bit with sea-sickness. Authentic gingersnaps.... :)

Has anyone ever tried "Airborne" before? I never have, but my father recommends it for almost everything.

-Colin

23. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    After much experience with the subject, I've concluded the following: natural remedies, acupuncture, relief bands, etc. just aren't strong enough to do anything for you (apart from a little piece of mind) because motion sickness is a complex and often violent ailment. Prescription medicines, while very effective, leave you too airheaded to safely accomplish your duties as a pilot, plus they're illegal anyway. I think even my beloved bagel is more a mental crutch than anything else. I truly believe, after having tried everything, that I just had to suffer through at first and let my body acclimate, though having the placebo experience with Phenergan was an eye-opener.

ImGone -- persevere. If you really want to be a pilot, you will get through it. I remember flights early on in my PPL training where, flying back from the practice area (airplane under instructor control), I was seriously thinking, "Why the hell am I doing this? There's is no way I can finish if I feel like this all the time. How will I ever fly solo?" But I kept on scheduling flights, a toothbrush, trash bag, and antacid bottle becoming major parts of my flight gear :) Eventually, straight and level was ok, followed by maneuvering flight, followed by aerobatics...once I noticed an obvious progression, things got better much faster. I got used to the attitudes, my comfort and confidence levels increased, and the sickness subsided.

I would recommend taking the absolute shortest time possible between initial flights. The more puking you do now, the sooner it goes away. If you train once a month, once every few weeks...forget it. Your body never quite gets "over the hump" and the memory of the last flight where you felt terrible has a better chance of getting the best of you. I remember when I first started with acro, even the smell of the inside of the Citabria (which is actually very nice) would make me sick before I even left the ground, proof positive of the mental game involved. I allowed myself to get used to it by doing it over and over again, going to the point where I knew I would get sick if I continued and also all the way to complete sickness. I know that isn't the cheapest or most pleasant option, especially when you may not be learning a lot with your face in a bag, but I'm afraid that is simply the hand we were dealt. :)

24. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Nope, I never flew with congestion and I have no known allergies. Well, none unless you count Penicillin, but I doubt that has any implications here :)

For a while, I was actually hoping there was a surgical procedure that would help because I certainly would have done it, but according to the ENT, my tubes and caverns look perfectly normal. My Mother, Uncle, Grandmother and Grandfather all have/had motion sickness problems, so it is obviously a hereditary thing, but the mechanics of it remain a mystery. I'm just glad it's gone!

25. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Congrats, man!

Blue Skies