Scuderia Pirelli Tyres Recall Campaign | FerrariChat

Scuderia Pirelli Tyres Recall Campaign

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tarek K., Aug 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    #1 Tarek K., Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just received this letter from my Ferrari dealer for a recall campaign concerning my 430 Scuderia which involves replacing the car's Pirelli tyres............did anyone here receive the same letter?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Tarek,
    I have the Dot XB tires but have not received a letter. I will check with the dealer tomorrow. Thanks for the information.

3. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Interesting. I have not received anything similar. Thanks for the heads up Tarek.

4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Interesting I wonder if this applies to all Scuds or just ones produced from a certain date?

5. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I heard about this last month from a Germna guy attending the Pilota course at Fiorano. I enquired with my dealer in the UK who said they'd heard nothing. Have now re-enquired. Obviously this is rolled out on a per-country basis and quite slowly according to availability of tyre.

The guy at Fiorano took his car out onto the track - said "don't care about the tyres as I'm getting free new ones!

Go shred 'em Tarek!

6. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    iirc Tareks car is within a few days of production of mine - and I've not got a letter yet

7. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I bought my car used, so I wouldn't get the letter from FNA anyway - so please let us know if we will all be getting a new set of tires!!!

Paul

8. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    My car line date is pretty close to yours.
    What does it say on page 2? ... do we get a new Scuderia or 458 as compensation? :)

9. strad

strad Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Kent
    Full Name:
    joe
    Doug

Mine have the DOT XB on the Tyres I have just informed my dealer who appear not to be awear of the recall at this time .......Strange that !!!

10. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Ditto that. They have not received anything.

11. strad

strad Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Kent
    Full Name:
    joe
    Lung

Predicament then is are the tyres safe to drive on now we know of the recall /

Say (godforbid) i go out tyre goes i skid off the road and cause someone else damage ( whos at fault ) me because i was awear of the recall or not ??

Interesting thought ....going to call my Insurance guy NOW!!

12. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    u just spoilt my day!!!!

13. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm sending a copy of your letter to my dealer just to be sure. :)

14. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My guy is checking with FNA to see if such a campaign exists here in the states with our batch of tires. He did tell me they just issued campaign #307 that is concerned with the right hand engine compartment panel discoloring. I guess I'll check that tonight when I get home.

15. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I have two dealers trying to get information on this. So far no response from FNA.

16. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    I had recently a discussion about this recall with an official Ferrari source and this seems to be quite serious matter. In Germany, with no speed limits, several Scud owners exploded their real tires at speeds between 250km/h and 300km/h. The pressure on the rear is so high (much higher than a F430) at such speeds that the Pirelli tires are not able to support it! After some major incidents, Pirelli has been obliged to recall all the Scuderias...Maybe Ferrari will review their close friendly/partnership with Pirelli which, IMO, would not be a bad thing. For my F430 Coupé, my next tires gonna be Michelin for sure...more reliable and last much much longer. But for the F430 owners, this shouldn't be a problem as the pressure on the smaller rear wing is much lower. So, use your tires as most as possible before getting them changed but until then, remain carreful at very high speeds ;)

17. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Thank you for the info! I will be calling my Canadian dealer to see if they heard of the recall.

18. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Any updates about this or is it only Tareks dealer that is sending out the recall notice at this stage?

19. strad

strad Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Kent
    Full Name:
    joe
    Ive had it confirmed that all the Tyres will be recalled but for now Ferrari SPA are looking closely at states where high speeds are legal such as Germany etc ...not sure about the states as your limits are lower than here in the UK .

But id say do not use the current tyres at very high speeds as there is clearly a risk of failure of this tyre and at high speed theres only one outcome , so trackdays may be unadvisable until the tyres are changed to whatever they are offering ...

What a balls up by Pirelli :-(

20. neil-f

neil-f Karting

Feb 6, 2008
    UK
    Joe will you be able to get your spare wheel tyres replaced by Pirelli?

21. leang86

leang86 F1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2005
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Leang
    #21 leang86, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    Lung, have you got our Singapore dealer to check with Ferrari on this recall?

Let me know how it goes. Hopefully they can sort this out asap. New tyres soon...

Tyres = Danger.

22. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Yes I am on top of this.

23. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    I sent Tarek's post to the dealer here in Oregon who contacted FNA. Response was-----HUH? So,it seems to me that it would be prudent to stay off the track with the scud until this filters down to other countries.

24. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Too bad that all the Scuds need to be grounded, or simply take them out for a Sunday cruise.

............and I was doing over 300km/hr a couple of weeks ago!!!

25. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My dealer said that FNA says it's a Pirelli problem and they're not doing anything about it.

On a side note, would putting nitrogen in help to a small degree or not enough to make it safe?