512BBi Questions for the more knowledgable | FerrariChat

512BBi Questions for the more knowledgable

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by charliek, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Hi again,
    I have had my Boxer for several weeks now and have put almost 500 miles on it. I hate to get out of it. I still sit up at night and ponder the little things. Although its a great car, there are still a few things that nag at me. Although it sat for 15 years untouched it has had some little things change on it. I would like to get it back to original as possible.It has wheels from a carburated car with Comp T/A'a on it. They are wider and drive very well but I have tracked down the original wheels and tires which I am purchasing. Also has a Fittipaldi steering wheel which also is a cool wheel. The same person with the wheels has the steering wheel. The top front grill has been painted red to match the car. I actually like the look better but still plan on putting it back. The front grill has been painted black and the horse insignia is missing I was wondering if I could get your opinions on the best way to approach its return to original and the importance of these items. I could also use some help in tracking down some of the missing items. I am trying to find the grill insignia and an original Pioneer radio and equalizer. I was also wondering what to do with the original wheels when I get them. I am getting the original non eared spinners and the original tires which have only 6-7000 miles on them but are 20 years old. Am I better off driving the car with the more modern tires, using the originals or purchasing new tires from Coker? I really love the car and plan on keeping it a very long time. Two last questions, were the grills bare aluminum or painted, and could I just strip the paint off them without ruining the metal underneath. I know lots of hot air pouring out of me but you guys know how these little things can keep your mind churning. Thanks for your help. I am going to Palm Beach Cavallino for first time in January hope to meet some of you guys.

Regards,
    Charlie

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    try as i might, charliek, i can't for the life of me find all the glorious pictures of this stupendous beast that you've posted here on fchat. could you point me to them perhaps? ;).

i'm no chemical engineer, but i know i wouldn't drive a performance vehicle on 20 year old rubber.

doody.

3. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    I applaud your desire to try to get your car back to its original spec. The grill strip in particular would be worthwhile, I'd say, although I couldn't tell you how to do it. The steering wheel change is a must! With regard to tyres, I would invest in a new set of Michelin TRX's - original spec I think, but the rubber would be much safer than the old tyres that you have as an alternative. New-design tyres look totally different and would change the car's handling considerably. Have a look at David Feinberg's 365 for an idea. He's lowered his car to remove the large gap that would have been filled by the original high-profile rubber.
    I rather like the feel one gets from a higher profile. It's very communicative, but ultimately you'll be going around corners a little slower than would otherwise be the case.
    Try the owner's site for any original parts you have trouble getting.
    Hope this helps.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You can get most of your needed parts from www.owners.ferrari.com . As to the Pioneer radio/eqaulizer, look on e-Bay or run an ad in the Ferrari Market Letter "parts wanted" section. I have obtained a lot of hard to find parts that way. Has the major cam belt service been done within the last 3-5 years ? If not, I would have it done NOW before I drove it any more . A broke cam belt could cost you $30k or more ! Does it still have the rubber bumpers and side marker lamps put on as part of the U.S. conversion ? If so, you can have them removed and the panels repainted for less than 1k or so. As to the wheel spinners, some BB512i's came with the earred spinners and some did not depending on what market the car was produced for. My Belgium spec BB512i came with the non-earred spinners where as a U.K. or Italian spec car came with the earred spinners. You can decifer your VIN on several sites on the web to see what country's spec your car was originally made . I have put over 5k miles on my car in less than a year and it was in the shop for almost 2 mos. for the cam belt service. Have fun, the Boxer is a great car.

5. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Thanks for your reply. The car had a full engine out service 2 years ago. It also had a full Tubi exhaust and all new shocks and seals. Ferrari of Atlanta did my PPI and said I should be good for 3 years. I had another question related to the legalization of my car. The rear supports in the engine compartment have had a section cut out with a torch. I was told by a previous owner that they did this to comply with crush zone laws. Amerispec did the conversion and I thought they were a recognized company back then but the cut outs are pretty sloppy. Any experience with this. Thanks

6. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    My Lotus had what must have been 20 year old tires but zero wear. I drove it a few hundred miles, until just after a "spirited" drive my left front went flat. The air valve broke off from dry rot! Had that happend 10 miles earlier, I'd be dead.

New tires made a HUGE difference in handling! The car stuck to the road like it had slicks on. You're cheating both yourself and death to be driving your car with old, outdated and probably dangerous tires.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Goodyear #1 in Racing!

8. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Jeff Howe at Ferrrai Uk had new equalisers in stock a couple of months ago. I would suggest you contact him at [email protected].

The front grill is unpainted aluminium, as is the bonnet grill. I would strip these units and put them back to original.

Jeff can probably help with the front prancing horse emblem but these are availble on ebay also. Check with Jeff first though as he is often cheaper than ebay and offers next day delivery to the States.

9. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Simon,
    Thanks for your input. I have contacted Ferrari UK but have not heard back from them. What do you think is the best way to strip the paint off the grills. Will chemical strip stain the metal underneath? Before I go ahead I want to make sure not to ruin the grills. Thanks
    Charlie

10. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Charlie

In teh UK we have a chemical paint stripper called Nitromoors. I would use this on a small area on the back of the grill and check it works OK and doesn't stain the alunium, or try it on a scrap peice of alumunium first. I think it should be OK. My paintshop stripped my 400 back to the metal using this and the bonnet is aluminium.

You might try using some cellulose thinners and see if this removes the paint first. If someone has sprayed the grill using a cellulose spray-can you may be able to wash the paint off.

Simon