New real life pic | Page 11 | FerrariChat

New real life pic

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by isuk, Aug 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #251 TheMayor, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
    I just hope a US spec license plate fits well in that space in the rear to not screw up the lines. From what I see here, under the number plate may be just enough area to mount one properly.

2. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007

Thats the result of thinking that you are the only artist here.

If you looked at "gioconda" painting, you will tell me that she was squint, fat, and has a dumb glance, hairy face, dirty hear, the paint is old and cracked, and the colors were mopped.

And the changes you made after looking at that....You will replace the painting with a LCD with Pamela Anderson!

The true art its only the result of a master artis, not the result of 100000 people's ideas put together to make an entire!So art was made for 60 years in modena, not in photoshop or forums!

What you told my friend is a simple way to understand complicated things.And its wrong.

3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Far from true.

I know several other artists are here and while they may not agree with my design criticisms of ANY Ferrari, they certainly agree that they are not above criticism.

More importantly, a Ferrari is not a work of original art . It is a product and the result of market research and many designers inputs. To think anything else is a bit naive.

For example, I dont like the Mona Lisa but I cannot criticize it because it is Da Vinci's personal artwork. I dont criticize anyones personal artwork with the same eye i do *product*

A Ferrari is just a car. No more , no less. It is not a personal work of art and criticizing their design is no different than criticizing the design of a corvette or a piece of furniture. its all just product.

As far as my being 'wrong' I think it is more you mistaking product for art.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #254 TheMayor, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
    Jerry is not the only designer here. And, I very much agree with his comments. Cars stopped being art probably in the 50's or maybe early 60's. There are too many technical restrictions from safety, government restrictions, enviromental concerns, cost, manufacturing processes, and consumer perferences to allow "pure art" in the marketplace anymore in mass production. Only through truly custom one-off's can you achieve this (witness Napolis's P4/5 concept or the Maserati Birdcage).

One of the most difficult things for any designer to do is to work "art" into the restrictive box they face today. Those that do not work in design can never appreciate the difficulties and complexities involved. It all looks so easy. Trust me, it's anything but.

That being said, we can still appreciate good design from bad design. The 458 in my opinion is very good design.

5. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    **** yes! I noticed the mustache too :D

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    True

And I hope my criticisms dont come across as my thinking the 458 is ugly.. Ive said I like it. Moreso than anything Ferrari has done in a long time.

Its just my nature to not jump up and down and put designs on a pedestal. I take them apart and try to improve them more to my tastes.

Sometimes on this forum people tend to only see black and white and they push you to one side or the other when really you are discussing shades of gray. Thus if I dont LOVE the 458 I must be condemning it to being some hideous misfit, which couldnt be further from the truth.

7. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    I "am" a buyer......and that PS of the challenge grill is a "must" on that car. Nice job Jerry. I'm betting by the time the lightweight version is released, it will be standard equipment.

8. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    +1 LOL you're right; everyone is an armchair designer. Alas, money and photoshop doesn't always equate to taste or talent.

So in most cases, you have to just live with what they deliver to you, and maybe hope the aftermarket comes in to help, like the cavalry.

But modding is standard practice in Japanese tuner circles, but I guess not totally accepted by the Italian/exotic crowd, at least it's not as fashionable. But wait.... everyone wants to change something --and if you actually do it to your personal ride, most hate that you have overstepped the "purity" of the form.

more double standards again

What is that tuner shop that modded that black 599? Is that ProDrive? I can't recall. Anyway, that looks bad ass, IMHO, an improvement. Whereas the "Stallone 599" looks utterly horrid. Worse than horrid. So modding the car can be done to great effectiveness if done tastefully.

Another successful example: Someone here has challenge rear grilles for the 348, to make it look more 355-esque, and it is a vast improvement IMHO, transforming that car's appearance so much for the better. Yet is very simple and tasteful. Use the KISS method when in doubt. In good design, it is often the slightest tweak that will push the harmony of the ensemble to one side or the other.

9. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    By the way, to Jerry, that's a great sampling of what the 458 can modify into. I like it a touch better than it's OEM appearance, although the OEM is fine with me. I think one of the biggest reactions to it's rear is the lack of quad tails and challenge grille all the way across the back.

Whereas I like the dual tails, the challenge grille would help. Would it help "immensely" as it does to the 348? mmmmm not so much that, but it's an improvement IMHO. Good eye ;)

I'm happy to see Ferrari returning to what appears to be a bit smaller body, and the curve motif that Pininfarina did with greater frequency during Enzo's lifetime.

10. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    Nice Azz! ;)

11. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    Personally I'm getting tired of all these new cars having round wheels. What is your thought on having oval wheels? ;)

12. aschultz19

aschultz19 Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    Plain"Jane"Field, IL
    Full Name:
    Tony..........
    Wheels.. I was thinking skis on the front to really make the car carve into the corners... That would be innovation... Ferrari Style!!! I guess sometimes following the pack isn't such a bad idea....

Tony........

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Well said .You're absolutely right , if car design were easy , anyone could do it . But in fact , just anyone can't . It is in my opinion industrial art for the masses, but not fine art in the strictest sense .

14. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Okay, what happened to pictures being posted? Nothing new out there?

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Great pic. Car looks fantastic.

16. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Have you looked through the thread? There were new pictures posted on Friday and Saturday...

17. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Now that more semi-disguised street photos of the 458 are surfacing, a familiar thing is happening (to me, anyway). As I look at the car, whether in profile or from other angles, I see its lineage, i.e., its relationship to the F430. As a Dino owner, I will analogize this to the Dino-308 comparison. When the 308 was introduced, right after I bought my first 246 Dino, everyone thought that the Dino was obsolete, and the 308 was a revolutionary design. With hindsight, one can now see Dino design cues written all over the 308. The major differences are hidden headlights, a lack of chrome bumpers/trim and flatter curves. However, when comparing these two models (and the 328) with all later mid-engine V8s, it is clear that they have more in common with each other than with the newer cars. While no one will mistake a 3X8 for a Dino, they are obviously related in design. The factory PS photos of the 458 make it look revolutionary, and while it is a large departure from the F430, it is the logical extension of its basic design language. The upswept rear quarter windows and the tail are clearly influenced by the F430. As for the rear grille, I think that it is becoming a Ferrari tradition to introduce each new "clean-sheet " design with a small (or, in the case of the facelifted F355 and the "all-new" 360, no) rear grille, so as to leave room for a more aggressive (and more expensive) later variant. In GM' '50s heyday, this would have been derided as "planned obsolescence." Today, it's considered smart marketing. Every few years, something new must appear to entice the next buyer. The combination of the Internet's large maw for ingesting the new and the rise of emerging Ferrari markets demands that designs be constantly tweaked. As an example, the R 107 M-B SL survived for approximately 18 years. That would never be possible in today's worldwide auto market. Fred

18. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    IMHO correct in your developing observations; I always thought the 458 looked simply like a natural evolution of the basic 360/430 shape and design, in that it closest resembles those cars even as it has elements unique only to itself.

19. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Seeing the shots of the 458 out in the open I'm liking it more and more. One thing though and this is a common problem to all modern Ferrari designs. Where does the Front number plate go? Aston, Porsche Lotus and even Lamborghini can all integrate the front number plate but they always end up looking like an afterthought on the Front of Ferraris.

20. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I have the same problem with both of my Dinos. There is nowhere to attach the front plate, hence, I don't affix one. I keep them under the front passenger seats. If I remember correctly, the US 308 Ferraris had an indentation in the rubberized front bumper, allowing for easy plate attachment. I don't think that any later Ferrari has had a similar US solution. Fred

21. nejcdolinsek

nejcdolinsek Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    Even though the dimensions are practically identical to the F430, this design looks so much more compact. That and what seems to me a much shorter overhang combines for a winning design, IMO.

22. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    look at page 12 of the thread.

23. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name: