Bad ferrari accident in Gwinett County | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bad ferrari accident in Gwinett County

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by theman11, Jan 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    Found out today, that the car was a 348 Spider.

2. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Posted quarter-mile times for that car are have the trap speed in the 100mph range, so exceeding 100 in two-fifths of a mile is certainly possible, no matter who's driving.

3. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have you driven a 348 Spider before? I would love to see anyone extract the maximum performance out of a 348 Spider without having driven one before. Oh, and 348 Spiders are definately not automatics. You can't just slam on the gas and let it go.

4. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I agree that the 348 is harder to operate than the newer Ferraris, as I've driven two different 348ts's. However, my theory is that if the standard quarter-mile (1320ft) trap speed is ~105mph, just about anyone could pilot the car to that speed in two-fifths of a mile (2112ft, about 800ft more than the quarter mile). That would hardly be 'extracting the maximum performance' - just hard acceleration. Don't you agree?

By the way, I never said the 348 is an automatic. I made that comment long before anyone mentioned the type of car - I figured the car in question was a 360.

I'm not even sure why we're using the 100mph and two-fifths of a mile statistics - that wasn't reported in any of the news stories, just by an anonymous poster on this site...

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #30 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    At first glance, many of the post seem rather devoid of feelings- A tragedy has occurred. That being said, I visited the link to the face book and this is what I found:

Todd Willoughby

""drive it like you stole it" "live life like there is no tomorrow""

Unfortunately for them this became a rather self fulfilling prophesy.

6. Airspeed

Airspeed Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    DSM IA / Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Kenton
    #31 Airspeed, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
    I'd be willing to give it a go if you really need to settle it.

Being fairly new to this part of the country I don't know anyone here yet but I would like to offer my condolences to the families.

Have fun and be safe.

7. beezerhound69

beezerhound69 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just a heads up..I've followed this story, and your and my suspicions are confirmed... Russell was not the driver. At least his family has a little more closure now.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/Man_Charged_in_Fatal_New_Years_Crash_081209

8. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    ...allegedly...

9. beezerhound69

beezerhound69 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A few years in the real world will help you, I'm sure. Stick to driving around Buckhead taking photos in the meantime. They are meaningful and worthwhile to F'Chat, and something I look forward to. You know absolutely nothing of the circumstances surrounding this tragedy. I , on the other hand, do. Russell left as a passenger, and died as one, put simply. Your casual suggestion(s) lend nothing but ignorance , and again casual observation, to your position of "allegedly". I will defer to law enforcements investigation over the last 7 months supporting what many said from the beginning.

10. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Hahaha - wow!

When someone is charged with a crime, we have this thing in this country's legal system called the presumption of innocence. Nothing is confirmed until the person charged has his day in court. I have no dog in this fight and couldn't care less about the outcome of this case, but don't make the mistake of claiming your "suspicions are confirmed" and then telling me I'm the naive one, just because the police made an arrest. You'd think someone as "experienced" as yourself would know the difference between an arrest and a conviction.

Best wishes.