How Concerned should I be about a repaint? | FerrariChat

How Concerned should I be about a repaint?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by lencap, Aug 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    #1 lencap, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
    I found a well maintained TR, but during my initial inspection it appears that the car has been repainted. It looks like a full body repaint, but I have some concerns.

The fender bolts appear to have been painted over, and the car appears to have a clear coat finish. I'm concerned that if it hasn't been properly prepped, I may find cracks appearing in the years ahead. There are some swirl marks in the paint, not deep, but visible.

Service records are complete and current, but no mention of paint work anywhere.

So, does the repaint issue overcome a good service history? I waited a long time for "the car", and like everyone else I want a good deal, but I don't want to find that the paint wasn't done right and three years from now the clear coat starts peeling, or the paint starts to spider crack. By the way, when I opened the engine compartment, the "Ferrari" emblem that is on the rear engine compartment came off in my hand. Isn't that supposed to be fastened to the car surface?

Is there a way for me to check it out during a PPI? Will a pro be able to confirm that it has been repainted, and can he tell how well the prep was done? Does a paint meter help, or is there any other tricks I can try? I plan to have a full PPI, but I don't want to commit to it until I can get a better idea of what to expect.

Thanks in advance.
    Thoughts?

2. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #2 Mr.Chairman, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    Greetings.. hope all is well. It all depends on who did the re-spray. Many shops back their work up with a gaurantee.. I would find out who did the re-spray and if they are reputable. There is no way to tell at this stage of the game if the car was prepped properly unless he has some photos of the car in progress. I would check all trim for overspray. If they removed all of the trim and moldings at time of paint they should be no overspray on them. Check all over. Remember clear would be clear and it can be difficult to see but check carefully. Sometimes they take the majority of the stuff off but some pieces are difficult to remove or must be replaced so they mask them. Areas of such concern are the quarter glass belt moldings, windshield surround moldings. Check the lower areas of the bumper covers. Sometimes they get sloppy and they let the paint run or they dont polish and that would be a tell tale. Re-paints are not bad but was it a re-paint or collision repair plus re-paint. Be careful..If this is your first car and your not in the field and know what to look for and how to tell if repairs where made properly- I would pass. Wait for a better car. A professional could inspect for you but I would still be hesitant that they would miss something that would surface later on. By the way, many Testarossa's are re-sprayed.. They were never perfect from the factory and when a minor repair is needed shops today do not want to spray single stage so they convince the owners to spray in two stage. Sometimes the owners are so anal about the car, they can't stomach the fact that one small piece of the car will have two stage while the rest is single stage therefore getting a complete re-spray. Two stage also gives you that great lustre. Hope this info helps..

R

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    here my 2 cents.'

your already trying to convince yourself about the car....walk away.

They made enough TRs you should be able to get what you want...that doesnt mean you should be able to steal it for a low ball price, it just means you should pay a price for a car you "Love"....sounds like you already have an issue with the paint...whether it was done right or wrong it doesnt matter....it will stick in the back of your head for yrs to come, and every stone chip you get.

Find another car !!

4. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Of my 3 Ferraris, the first and the third I wanted from the moment I saw them. They were perfect and more expensive than my budget but I knew they were going to make me happy. The second one was a bargain. Even though freshly restored, she had some issues. I still think I'll be very happy once the car is sorted but she and I have not settled in our relationship yet. I think it will take another year of fettling to get her perfect.

The more experience I get, the more I get the opinion that a Ferrari needs to be in PERFECT mechanical condition to give that special enjoyment.

I can't speak for other people but if I buy another Ferrari it will be one that speaks to me, not one bought for any other reason.

Onno

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I may be having a momentary lapse in reason here....but I believe the fender bolts are painted over at the factory....I think the main body of the TR is painted as one piece, except for the doors which were painted seperately and installed later.

6. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    You are correct.. Bolts on quarter were painted at the factory.

R

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yup. All true. But I think like the 360 the doors are hung temporarily and painted as one.

8. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I don't see why a car would need a full repaint. Repaint only needed if car was deep scratched, wrecked or just left abandoned to the elements until the paint was far beyond repair. I have owned many sport cars, some Ferraris that were used as daily drivers and one was driven close to seventy thousand miles in twelve years and the paint was as good as new.

9. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I may have a different take on things, but who cares if it has been repainted? The TR I bought had not one receipt, needed a major, and has a poor quality 2 stage respray on the car (I like to think of myself as this car's savior). I have no plans to ever sell this car unless my financial situation changes. The major is now just about done and I'll be able to drive it without worrying about rock chips or scratches. When the time comes, I'll do a full single stage paint restoration (which will be better than when it left the factory).

I have a 308 that was near perfect when I bought it, but the longer I own it and drive it, I am coming to realize I will probably have to have it painted someday as chips, scratches, and dings happen if you actually drive the car.

Unless you only plan to keep the car for a short time, buy it, drive it, and repaint it in the future if it needs it. If you really enjoy the car like it is meant to be enjoyed, its going to get rock chips and need a freshening over time.

Enzo was never worried about perfect door gaps and perfect paint. I am of the opinion the only way to enjoy a Ferrari is to drive it, not just to look at it and worry if the paint is perfect.

Again,I may be the minority here and have a warped opinion.

10. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I totally agree...

Robbie

11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #11 finnerty, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    You can't think of any other reasons why a car with 20-25 year old paint would need a re-spray?? Did you ever buy a car, that was perfect in every respect, but you wished it were a different color? Or, you wanted to keep the same color, but wanted it to be perfect and with modern paint quality?

No offense... but, many, many, cars are re-painted for "non-nefarious" reasons --- it's not necessarily a red flag.

12. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    "concerned" = YES
    "scared / turned-off" = no way, if there is an acceptable reason

13. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Great advice ;)

14. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay

+1 Especially a Ferrari, which did not have worlds greatest paint to begin with.