308 GT 4 | FerrariChat

308 GT 4

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by italoital, Aug 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italoital

italoital Rookie

Aug 17, 2009
    Dear Members,

as owner of a european 308 gt 4 1975, i´m trying to rebuild my ebngine.
    the cylinder heads are sticking on the studs on the block and not moving a mm.
    Do you have any advice of how to loosen them ?
    My idea ist to bild a tool using the spark threads and pressing against the studs.

Thanks in advance !

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There have been discussions and tools done on this. The most popular tool is attached to the head using the various cam cap studs, and levers against the head studs in order to get the heads off.

3. brook308

brook308 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2007
    SS Coast, Australia
    Full Name:
    George
    I removed my 1-4 head by using a slide hammer very carefully!

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
  5. 1166

1166 Rookie

Dec 20, 2005
    Glastonbury, CT
    #5 1166, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    One thing you may want to try is tapping the studs with a brass hammer about 45 deg off the top. If the stud rings, it is free. If it sounds 'dead' it is stuck. I have done this numerous times with Alfas. If it is stuck, try spraying brake cleaner down between the stud and the hole in the head - not much space, but over time it will start to clean out. Hit the stud with the brake cleaner in it and tap it around in a circle (start at 12 o'clock, move to 3, 6, 9, back to 12...). OBVIOUSLY you must take care wielding a hammer (ONLY a soft metal hammer!) near the AL heads... If nothing else, you will clean out some corrosion and make the head lifting job easier. You should see 'junk' coming out of the stud holes when you spray more cleaner in. Also, when you get to the point of moving the head up a bit, clean the studs under the head, spray more brake cleaner in the stud holes and tap the head back down (using a block of wood for protection). Every time you move it, it will move more... I had to porta-power the heads off my Alfa V6 and it only took me most of the day... Have fun. As an aside, I GREATLY prefer to use brake cleaner from Wellworth (used to be Castle around here) 'Brake Buddy' or the Wruth 'circuitboard' cleaner - the old brake cleaner formula. The work great and they do not smell bad like the stuff you can buy in the parts stores!!!