custom headers | FerrariChat

custom headers

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by parkerfe, Aug 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  2. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Are you going to use the company you listed?, and if so can you please take photos of the headers before & "after" installion, Very ,very good price as I know certain companies want $1,800.00 just for european test pipes......Mark.

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Now that is an AWESOME idea they have there! I must say I've never seen anything like it - a simple and effective way of "roughing in" the shape and then they make a work of art based on the "template". Very Cool! You could actually do the entire exhaust system with that method....(I'm impressed!)

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I spoke with a guy named Chris...If I go that route, I will just ship him my OEM headers and he will copy them and send the OEM and SS ones back...he said he needs an ~2 week turn around

5. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Franklin,
    Are they likely to kake any difference to the performance of the car, or will they be an improvement over the originals as they will replicate them?
    Steve

6. VikingELS

VikingELS Rookie

Apr 28, 2006
    Tubi, Ricambi, Larini, etc design their headers for performance and sound. To work properly, headers eliminate back pressure to improve performance. The flow of exhaust gasses changes at different RPM. A set of headers designed for low end performance will be different than a set designed for high end - the tubes are different lengths to assure smooth flow. Stock exhaust is designed for average performance at average speeds and is not overly efficient. Cast exhaust manifolds are less efficient than headers because they don't offer the ability to use unequal length tubes to assure smooth flow - the cylinders don't fire in sequence.

Having a set of headers made up to the same specs as stock exhaust might improve sound, but they won't improve performance at all. The questions to ask are why you want to replace your stock exhaust and what do you hope to gain.

If you're going to spend the money to increase performance, buy a set of headers designed to do just that. Header design is more an art than header construction is... You may end up dropping $1800 on an exhaust you'll be unhappy with and that you can't return.