Scans from the Fuller Brush catalog - Phil Hill article by Denise McCluggage... | FerrariChat

Scans from the Fuller Brush catalog - Phil Hill article by Denise McCluggage...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Peloton25, Aug 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Spotted this thread on another forum and thought of this place immediately. I searched the forum and only found one mention of the catalog from Marcel. Sort of an odd place to find this sort of content in a cleaning supply catalog, but I believe it will be new for most of you and worth the click. :)

http://forums.thecarlounge.com/zerothread?id=4532638

>8^)
    ER

mcimino likes this.
  2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #2 Crawler, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
    Wow! This is quite a find. It must be from ca. 1957. The Fuller Brush magazine... I remember those salesman coming to the door back in the 50s.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah - I remember the Fuller Brush man hounding my mother in the mid 1960s. I
    didn't think they were still around: www.fuller.com

Jedi

4. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thank you for scanning and posting the article. Most interesting descriptions and the photos are priceless!

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    thanks for posting! I've heard of this article for years but have never seen it.

RIP Phil...

6. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I will show this to Denise and see what she says. She is travelling for a Mazda event right now, but should be around in a couple of weeks.

7. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Wait, you know the original author?!

Fantastic find! I love these old bits and frame them for the office when I can. The "Miles Davis and his Miura" photo I put up last week needs some company and this might *just* be of workable resolution. ;)

THX!

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I have this catalog. The owner of Fuller Brush (can't recall his name right now) was a serious Ferrari enthusiast.

9. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Would that be Buckminster Fuller Brush?

10. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Some of the photos in that article are absolutely wonderful. Thanks for posting.

What is the vertical pipe welded onto the exhaust manifold of the Dino engine on the dyno? Could it be for measuring exhaust pressure?

11. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Very nice and interesting documents. Thank you for posting. The 250TR with blue & white nose is #0754.

12. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Wow, for a brief period in the late 50's I used to make extra money by distributing the catalogs door to door. I was too young to appreciate Ferraris so I missed this issue!!

13. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I have that catalogue, and I'd forgotten just how big the article was. Thanks for that.
    Nathan

14. vwlarry

vwlarry Rookie

Aug 23, 2009
    #14 vwlarry, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    Thanx to Peloton for linking my post over in The Car Lounge about my Fuller Brush catalog. It was enlightening to read that members of the Fuller family were indeed Ferraristi; that had been my suspicion about the motivating factor behind the production of such a piece. They certainly weren't catering to the housewives/homemakers of the time, that's for sure, and they were the target audience of these catalogs. I'll bet there were at least a few boardroom kerfluffles before the funding for this project got approved, but let's be glad that it did.

My apologies for the mottled appearance of the images, since I neglected to choose the "high def" option for my photobucket uploads...they actual pages are much more clear and attractive. For many years, I occasionally had plans to attempt to contact Phil Hill somehow, and ask for his autograph on the catalog, but alas my procrastination extended longer than Mr. Hill's lifespan, so I can only blame myself for not getting off my duff to get that done. Ms. McCluggage's writing is always amazing, isn't it? One of the truly great journalists, for sure. Her words, and the images, capture Ferrari at a special time, when the company was just entering the world stage of the world's greatest carmakers.

This is a very nice forum that I hadn't known about before now. BTW, to answer a comment above, the catalog was produced in February of 1959.

15. Athanase

Athanase Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2007
    Magnifico !
    And with lot of photos of 0760TR (the 250TR who does not exist) #14.

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

This issue pops up on e-bay every once in a while. I bought one in new condition for 20 bucks a few years ago.

17. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well worth the click!

I remember those guys well. They and vacuum cleaner salesmen were quite respectable in the 1950's...as time passes, re and more out of the history books.

18. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    I think n°14 is #0726.

19. mdempsey

mdempsey Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Full Name:
    Mark P. Dempsey
    I sold an autographed copy a few months ago on EBAY. Hope the new owner is enjoying it. Needed to thin out some stuff. Miss it though!!

20. Athanase

Athanase Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2007
    Look at Nürburgring 1000 Km 1958 and compare,
    #5 is 0726
    #7 is this car "0760" (it cannot be 0746 as usuly said)

21. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I have two copies of this.For those who have followed the Phil Hill story it is a well know item. The price went up shortly after Phil's passing but one comes up on E-Bay now from time to time with a starting bid of under $15.00 Thanks for the info on the sn of the cover TR. just one man's opinion tongascrew

22. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    and what happened to "0760" ??

23. pacpaldoc

pacpaldoc Rookie

Sep 13, 2005
    Pacific Palisades, C
    Full Name:
    Tony Pfannkuche
    #24 pacpaldoc, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My older brother kept a copy of the Catalog that the Fuller Brush Man left at our door. When he passed away some years ago, I found the Catalog among his papers, along with many slides of sports car racing in Texas in the 1950s. Perhaps four years ago, I took out the Catalog and contacted Denise in New Mexico and asked if she'd sign it for me. She graciously agreed, and then I took the Catalog over to Phil's home in Santa Monica and showed it to Alma and Phil. Evidently, it brought back a lot of memories, as both Alma and Phil were very fond of Denise.

Phil was working with a young assistant on his Pierce Arrow, preparing it for the 50th anniversary of his Best of Show Award at Pebble Beach. But he interrupted his work to autograph the copy Denise had signed, using the work bench in his garage, a wonderful, evocative place, with old bits of racing and vintage cars, many, many old tools, and racing posters here and there on the walls.

I asked Phil if I could take a picture of him with the Pierce Arrow in front of his garage - the same pose found in the Catalog. He said, sure. Then I copied the Fuller Brush photo and mounted it alongside the one I'd taken and sent it to Phil and Alma a couple of days later.

Fifty years and much history separate the images.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

donv and mcimino like this.
  24. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Wow - thanks for sharing the memory and the photos Tony! :cool:

>8^)