DIY 360 Maintenance | FerrariChat

DIY 360 Maintenance

Discussion in '360/430' started by 308 milano, Aug 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Guys Hello! Is there any of you 360 owners here that do your own maintenance? Or is the car just to technical for such things.The reason I ask is that I would absolutely love to own one in the next year, but given my location (Montana) the nearest Ferrari dealer/service center is Seattle or Salt Lake City and would make it almost impossible to own. Please excuse my ignorance on the subject but I'd really like to know if a 360 might be possible. Thanks Kim

2. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I do everything (clutch, belts etc) myself, except SDII work. I wouldn't attempt repairs without the factory manual. If you have mechanical skills there's no reason you can't do your own repairs.

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Bill thanks! You just made my night! Thought I might get laughed off the site with such a question. I was thinking of a 1999-2000 with a 6 speed as my resources are limited but I seem to recall some issues with the 1999 models. Your thoughts?

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Doubtful any 99's would still have existing issues but make sure the variator campaign has been completed (part of timing belt system).

Make sure you understand what you are buying before you buy.

Maintenance is quite straightforward with good mechanical skills and as Bill said with a factory W/S manual.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    6 speed is a good choice if you are doing your own wrenching. The F1 requires access to an SD2 to adjust the clutch, change F1 fluid, etc.

Limited resources could be an issue. Parts are expensive and can't be had at Kragens. I tell people that it will cost $1-2K per year for fluids, etc. but you have to be able to pay the random $10-15K bill. You don't have to like it but you have to be comfortable enough to pay the bill because bad things can happen and they cost a LOT. Of course tires and general stuff is not included in the annual number.

6. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Don't do you own work, you will f*^^ it up and your car would have no value!!!! These are extrememly complicated machines that requires special Italian trained Ferrari special licensed technicians. If you do your own work you will loose the entire value of your Ferrari when you resale it.

:p

7. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    SD2 is needed to adjust the PIS setting, but not necessary to bleed the F1 fluid from the thrust bearing and change the clutch.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All updates aside the 99's do have some frame cracking/breaking issues. Wouldn't prevent me from buying one but it should be very well inspected first.

9. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Robin,

You been drinking again tonight???

Are you not Mr. Goodwrench?

10. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    LOL! You know me well.

11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Guys Goodmorning!
    I truely appreciate all your advice. By limited resources I mean that I can afford the price of admission, and $5-6k a year with me doing my own maintenance. The $15k number kinda makes my rear quarters pucker a bit. ha! ( I know I probably shouldn't be looking at 360s but there sooo damn sweet! more so with the 430s but thats never going to happen unless I win the lottery) Wasn't afraid of servicing my 84 GTB QV and had a few Porsche 911s that I wrenched on, so I do have some experience and a big shop. As far as researching the 1999-2000 models, is there some tech bulletins in addition to the frame issue that Rifledriver pointed out? or recall notices or personal experiences you could share? I've been looking through the old posts but not alot of info on what to avoid or look for when shopping. Thanks Again! Kim

12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #12 308 milano, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    Rifledriver Goodmorning!
    I used to build off-road racing equiptment, so I've got all the welders and Plasma cutters etc. The cracking issues, are they able to be repaired easly? or do they require removal of engines etc. to get to the problem. Thanks for your input! Kim

13. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have owned a 348 next was a 328 --- finally a 360 spider. I will tell you this, they appear very user friendly in everything I have done so far.

Well constructed & nicely laid out compared to the past 2 I have had.

I would say if you are comfortable wrenching - you will have no problems with her other than the sdII as referenced above..

Chris

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kim- You are way up there. I fish a bunch in SW Montana, but have never been up near Glacier NP.

Send me a PM with a mailing address and I will send you a DVD with the two volumes of the 360 WSM. Having a manual shifter takes a lot of worry out of not having an SD2/3.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

15. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Chris Goodmorning and thanks for your input. Can you guys give me a brief explanation of what the SDII does? I'm guessing its the engine management system? Is it a "weak point" on the 360s? Also, I've seen posts where clutch replacement is needed within 7k miles, is this normal or has the owner been getting on it regularly. Is it unrealistic to think a 360 clutch should make 20k?

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    WOW Terry, That would be great! PM on the way!

17. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    In a nutshell the SDII is a diagnostics computer that allows the tech to scan for issues and correct/set the on-board systems.

18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Just a quick post to tell all of you "Thank You" for your time and cutting a noobie some slack.
    A great group of Guys in the 360 section. I won't forget the help Guys! Kim

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you are that up to speed on welding it would be a slam dunk for you to take care of. The extensions from the frame for the motor mounts crack and in extreme cases break off. It really is a pretty easy job to repair with the motor in.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #20 tazandjan, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. davidbealGT4

davidbealGT4 Karting
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    David Beal
    Those pics are of it in use at Eugenio's shop when he first got it. :)

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- Great. Remembered Daniel had posted them but did not remember the source.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Sounds like you have it in hand. I didn't mean to imply that the big number was likely, just possible. It is OK if it makes you pucker too, so long as it can be done if really necessary. Plus that assumes a shop doing the work, not you.

24. davyr6

davyr6 Karting

Feb 17, 2007
    belgium
    Full Name:
    davy
    wow nice tool

25. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Can't say 'thank you" enough Guys, I really expected to be told to take a hike and quit wasting peoples time, guess deep down I didn't think it was possible to do my own maintenance on a 360 but the more info I recieve the more I think "this could work out!!!" Saw a picture of Daves (DM-N-STUFF) silver 360 while searching old threads, MAN!, I would give my left n^t to own that car, actually I would part with both of them for that car! ha!