Ferrari 430 Scuderia vs Audi R 8 V10 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 430 Scuderia vs Audi R 8 V10

Discussion in '360/430' started by spyderman, Aug 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    #1 spyderman, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    There is a nice test comparison between the Scud and the R 8 V10 in Octobers Car and Driver.

The Scud received perfect scores on the "Gotta have it", "Fun to Drive" , Chassis Performance, Steering Feel, brake feel, Engine sound and 1/4" mi performance sections.

This one is a first for Ferrari...perfect score in driver comfort, ergonomics, fit and finish and trunk space LOL..

**The highs for Scud: V 8 is without rival, perfectly matched control and feel, art everywhere, and never a dull moment!! :) ;)

**The lows: Lack of features and amenities (no radio option on car).

**Verdict for Ferrari: Pricey, but its goal of perfecting the driving experience is noble and perhaps achieved! ;)

**The highs for Audi: Comfort and usability of a two seat A4, the angry v 10, design details.

**Lows: Brakes that grab, slightly numb controls for a 525 HP super car and possibly to contrived.

**Verdict for Audi:Greatness in Germany may not translate into greatness in Italy!

The performance numbers:

Audi V10 525 HP and 391 Torque
    Scud V8 503 HP and 347 Torque

Curb weight Audi 3666 lbs and Scud 3069 lbs.

0-60 mph 3.5 for both cars
    0-100 mph 7.9 for Audi and 7.4 for Scud
    0-150 mph 18.9 for Audi and 16.9 for Scud
    1/4 mile 11.7 @ 122 mph for Audi and 11.6 @ 127 mph for Scud

Braking from 70 mph to 0. Audi in 153 ft and the Scud is 143 ft (new record for Car and Driver!!)

Final words..."Their isn't an ounce of fat in the Scuderia. Ferrari distilled its 430, and what emerged are crucial parts, ones that enhance the link between car and driver rather then separate them. And those parts all work with harmony that led to nearly perfect subjectives scores. For now...the Italian obsession with Ferrari is justified!!. " :)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q3/2010_audi_r8_5.2_v10_fsi_quattro_vs._2009_ferrari_430_scuderia-comparison_tests

2. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    Doesn't the Scud have radio as option?

3. F360Dave

F360Dave Karting

May 13, 2009
    #3 F360Dave, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    Yea, all the scud's i've seen have radios... ipod touch or other...

A straight line race of the two would be nice, i have little doubt the scud would remain superior, regardless of how close they may be on paper

4. solowmodel

solowmodel Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2009
    Seoul, London, VA
    Full Name:
    WK
    There is a pretty big difference in price though^^

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well lets see an AWD GT car, that is boring and ugly vs a RWD sports car that is raw a fun to drive. What a hard choice.

6. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    When you get the I pod touch you don't get a radio. I was surprised by that.

7. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    My Scuderia came with "radio delete". No iPod. No radio.

8. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I know all Canadian Scuderia's come with the radio/nav and power windows!! This is the first scud I have seen that had the racing plex glass fixed sliding windows. :0 This option was available on Euro Stradale's.

9. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Great review...thanks for sharing!

Tim

10. jj525

jj525 Karting

Feb 8, 2009
    Virginia, Florida
    The Scud has a radio option: You can have a radio or you can delete the radio, isn't that an option?

11. solowmodel

solowmodel Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2009
    Seoul, London, VA
    Full Name:
    WK
    I'm sorry but I don't think you can say the R8 is a 'boring' car to drive. Sure it's AWD and heavier and whatnot, but it does have a great chassis and balance and the AWD can be fun enough on public roads to really push deep into the corners.

Don't get me wrong I much prefer the 430 on those days when the roads are empty, but the R8 really is a complete daily driver.

I'd be interested to see a comparo between the Scud and the LP550-2 balboni though as they are rather more similar^^

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well I'm glad you like it, to each his own. If I took one apart and put it back together the right way, it would be a nice car, though I still think it looks like a TT. After all, I thought the Gallardo in stock form was not a very good car either.

13. F360Dave

F360Dave Karting

May 13, 2009
    The actual issue doesn't mention the radio option (or lack thereof as stated from the web) in it's low's category... it does however state lack of features and amenities

14. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Sometimes these magazine journalists are funny. Lack of amenities?

Let's see, my Scuderia has CD player, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, a navigation system, a bluetooth that works quite well with my blackberry, radio, an ipod link that work with the head unit. Everything is standard except the ipod adapter. Deleting the radio is an option.

What are we missing? well, floor mats, compass, cup holders, multiple LCD screen with DVD players, XM, etc. I just don't get the point on them making comments like this from a very focused sport car. They should not be allowed to test it, that's it.

Nice to see the V10 from the LP560/4 run 2 secs behind the Scuderia by 150 mph.

15. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Completely agree re the amenities. The photos in the magazine shows a Ferrari with no radio/ nav, no power windows, it looks like the car they were given by Ferrari was the lightest car possible.

It would have been nice to see what the track numbers would have been...I am sure it will be coming! :)

16. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Amazing that Audi could introduce its R8 only a couple of years ago to justifiably rave reviews and now, with its V10, be neck in neck with Ferrari's Scuderia. No one talks price differenials, of course, but factor that in, and the Scuderia is in the R8-V10's rear view mirror.

17. BigP1202

BigP1202 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2007
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I picked up a copy today. Interesting note included in the article: A Ferrari has won every Car and Driver comparison test except one. That one you ask....... Ford GT beats Challenge Stradale.

Either they are extremely biased, Jeremy Clarkson style, or Ferrari really do produce the greatest vehicles in the world.

18. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The sound of the engine and exhaust trump the radio - I think they should reverse this as a negative and re-write it as a positive, saying something like "no need for a radio" or "radio will never get used anyway if it had one" :) :)

19. F360Dave

F360Dave Karting

May 13, 2009
    Interesting point, seems equipped nicely... Could've been their specific car were lacking some of the above mentioned items?!

20. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    Thanks for the information. Just read the article myself and the Scuderia is what everyone here already knows...it is one fast car. :)

I wished that they would have brought the cars to a track to get a feel for them in their element as well as some track times.

21. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Such different cars, it's a bit apples and oranges. And don't forget you could almost buy a Challenge Stradale for the difference in price...

If the keys were on the table and no strings attached, I'd grab the Scud keys every time. But if there were R8 V10 6-speed (most are manuals) attached to a set of CS keys? I'd rather have the two cars as a small "collection" than the Scud alone.

But that is the way I have been thinking lately. Despite really wanting a CS, I'd rather have my 355 and my RS4 (and $50,000) than a CS.

22. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    How about Ferrari 430 Scuderia VS Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4!?!....

Sounding more suitable fighting to me

23. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I agree...I am still waiting for a test between the two cars!!

24. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    F430, R8 V-10, Ford GT. How could you go wrong with anyone of those!!!

25. Sirbells

Sirbells Rookie

Jul 12, 2008
    Cen. Ca.
    the way it should be!