Mass Air Flow Sensor | FerrariChat

Mass Air Flow Sensor

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Rbtrader, Aug 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    I had the check engine light come on my 550. It was after I had bought some suspect gas when I needed it on a trip. The first chance I got I put as much Shell in the tank as possible (about 12 gallons) and double checked the fill cap. The light stayed on.
    When my technician checked the codes it indicated a misfire. He reset the check engine light and after about 20 minutes the check engine light came back on. Now the code says "mass air flow sensor". Anyone have experience with this? Is cleaning the mass air flow sensors likely to correct the problem? Do you just change them both or is there a way to tell which one is the problem? I hate to try two $1500 parts unless we are sure that will correct the problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Rich

2. deanhalter

deanhalter Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Halter
    Doesn't this car have 2 Check Engine Lights?

You should be able to swap the sensors side for side and it will tell you which one is suspect. How does the car run in this condition? If the 550 is like the 456, it will use the Throttle Position Sensor to determine the load on the engine if the MAF fails.

I found both of the MAFs in my car to be very dirty and after cleaing them with the MAF cleaner spry the prblem abated.

Dean

3. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Take the sensors out (it will take you all of 10 minutes total). Clean them out with the spray cleaner they sell at any auto shop (be sure to use the one labeled specifically for mass flow sensor) and clean them both out. It is very easy and cheap to do and could solve your problem. Good preventative medicine even if it does not.

Alberto

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good advice, thanks.