Bent e-brake handle... or not? | FerrariChat

Bent e-brake handle... or not?

Discussion in '308/328' started by ramosel, Aug 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    #1 ramosel, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've started the "gut out" of the interior on my 308 for complete refurb. One of the things I had on my list to fix or replace was a (supposed) bent emergency/parking brake handle. Being an engineer, I noticed the offset of the e-brake handle in the console and the spacing on the sliders and switches that correspond. Since my e-brake handle did not align with (presumed corresponding) spacing, I thought it was bent. I was going over to FerrParts this week to dig a straight one out of one of the cars they are breaking. But then, John Youngdahl came by yesterday morning to show me his Euro front end conversion so I took the opportunity to look at his interior closely as well. Hmmm... His e-brake handle seems to be bent EXACTLY the same as mine?? Or is it?

So my question is: Are these bent since they were installed or were they all bent this way from the factory? Should they drop vertically over the switch/slider void or should they curve towards the driver? Should I try to beat John to FerrParts for a straight one?? <grin>

Thanks for any responses or pictures!
    Rick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, they look bent to me, they didn't cam out of the factory like that,
    Somebody must have pulled the lever a little too hard at one time. You
    should be able to straighten it back no problem.

3. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Mine is bent like that too but not quite a bad.

Some previous ham-fisted ya-hoo trying to engage a non-working from the factory, hand break.

I'm just going to leave it as "patina" as all my leather is brand new.

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #4 Mike C, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They are SUPPOSED to be leaning towards the driver! That's as-designed, so that when an average height driver looks down at the switches, it VISUALLY fills that 'gap' from the driver's viewing angle, NOT lined up vertically directly ABOVE the gap. Here's a page out of the factory brochure... you can see it.

I know a guy who tried to bend it back because he was sure it was supposed to be parallel to the sides of the console. Bad news! Another example of not always believing what you read on FChat, I'm sorry to say...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    I think if it were straight, it would interfere with the ashtray area. Also, I'm guessing one reason it was made diagonal is to light the whole switch area below.