Living on a runway | FerrariChat

Living on a runway

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by snj5, Aug 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #1 snj5, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a strategic thread planning for the future. Like perhaps many of you, it has been a thought to either live in an airpark, or have my own little aerodrome. This thread is to bounce ideas and experiences of both to the general community.

First off, having lived (just as a rental) in an airpark, the politics were ferocious - and were also with other folks that have lived on a communal or not so communal runway. Has that been a general finding from anyone? Are there certain covenants or situations to be wary of?

At first blush, to retire and have my own aerodrome, realistically at my ability to keep it up, would limit me to turf friendly planes comfortable in about 1500 - 2000 feet or less, probably lighter taildraggers. What cost issues, laws or restrictions are folks familiar with on having your own airfield?

Again, this is a long term project so all help is appreciated!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #2 Gatorrari, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. 10boom

10boom Karting

Jan 5, 2005
    WA
    I would highly recommend building your own airpark/compound/runway. If you can find a place that's isolated enough to not warrant noise complaints, do it all alone. The politics are left up to you and you can control the environment. Just my .02

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Wouldn't pavement be easier to maintain than turf?

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I know what you are saying, Russ. There is nothing like flying out of your own little grass strip and living there. There is one near here, Crest Airpark, but there are many many houses and the attendant problems. I know of one pilot who has an 800 ft. strip on a plateau near the Columbia River and he and his wife live in a lovely home at the east end of it. He has flown a great variety of aircraft and flies for an airline but he flies a Cub out of it. I've flown out of it and it is a great set up with no complaints from his neighbors. Sounds like something that you would enjoy. All you have to do is to mow the grass once in a while.
    Switches

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I'm not really sure, to be honest. I would guess the initial investment would be higher.
    What does a runway cost per foot - anyone?

7. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't know, nor will I hazard a guess....but I will say that 2000x75 is a LOT of square footage to mow every two or three weeks......

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Well, in San Antonio it never seems to rain, so not a problem.
    Seriously, I agree that a fairly large mower would be part of the investment for a sod runway.

9. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not necessarily - pavement does not have an infinite life and degenerates with age. Initial cost is higher than turf and when the surface degrades (and it will in as little as 8-10 yrs) it needs to be replaced at similar cost to new.
    I have a $1.5M quote to construct a 2,100m long, 30m wide unsealed strip capable of supporting regular operations - so that works out at ~$220 per ft. I imagine it you halve the width you can drop the cost to ~$100/ft.

10. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Sharpen up the nose dam on Mongo. Couple quick passes and voila.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #11 Bob Parks, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
    Russ, I don't remember any problems in Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or Washington State with having to constantly mow the grass on the strips. Could it be the type of grass? The constant use?
    Switches

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I am starting to lean towards buying a small flat field, say 1000 x 1000 ( ~23 acres) or thereabouts, sod it with something and have a small aerodrome to minimize crosswinds. Maybe a small place to put a Quonset hanger to have a pancake fly-in once a month.

Anyone know of such a place?