360 starts and shuts down right away. "SAFE MODE" or Readjust Cam Timing? | FerrariChat

360 starts and shuts down right away. "SAFE MODE" or Readjust Cam Timing?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by OceanSide760, Aug 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OceanSide760

OceanSide760 Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Hi Guys:

2003 360 Coupe Here. I just did a cambelt service on my car and when I started the car, it started for approximately 1~5 seconds and then shut down.

Is this caused by perhaps an "ENGINE SAFE MODE (anyone heard of this??)" which requires a dealer reset?

Or do I need to readjust my cam timing

Any ideas on this? THANK YOU!

2. OceanSide760

OceanSide760 Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    I had an independent Ferrari serivce did the Cam Belt Service (change the head gaskets etc.). After the car was done, it would start then shuts right off. The independent service told me the car is on "SAFE MODE" and needs to go back to the dealer for reset, this should take less than a hour.

Towed the car to the dealer. They first told me the Cam Timing seemed right, maybe the wirings were off.

The next day dealer called and told me that the Cam Timing were WAY OFF, they were surprised that my valves were not damaged and says I was lucky. So the dealer had to do a "Cambelt Service" to correct the Cambelt Timing and this would cost $2,400.00

I would like to know if there's is an actual "SAFE MODE" on my 360 which requires a dealer reset?

Or my Cambelt Timing is WAY OFF, as the dealer indicated?

PLEASE HELP!

3. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    #3 GCalo, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    I think you would get better response if you filled out your profile, gave a fuller and more complete explanation of everything done to the vehicle, and post this question here in technical rather than 2 places.

You mentioned that a head gasket was replaced, but are you sure of this?

Give a full detail and maybe a few can reply with some assistance.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #4 No Doubt, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is a known 360 condition where your Ferrari starts, runs for 1 to 5 seconds, and shuts off due to the inertia/rollover protection relay.

If your fuel gauge light is on even though you have plenty of fuel, then the black button on your rollover protection relay will need to be pressed. This inertia switch (#7 in parts diagram below) is near the passenger door in the footwell, reset it by pressing the button on top of it for 2 seconds.

If your fuel gauge light is not on (shown below in orange), then the above probably doesn't apply to you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. OceanSide760

OceanSide760 Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    I do not recall my fuel gauge lights was on and the car has half tank of gas. Thank you so much for your input and I will look into the black button.

I would be very unhappy if that is the case and the dealer is charging me $$$$.

6. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

I have seen when an independent has messed up cam timing if they were not careful. The 5-8 bank cams do move/jump if not held. The number you are looking for is 657 degrees on the parameter page while running. Only problem is you never know where the intake cam is unless you take it all back apart!

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You took it to an independant who didn't know how to do the job or how the car works. There is no "Safe" mode. They were lost and just wanted the car out of the shop. Pay somebody who knows how to fix it to do so and be more selective of repair shops next time.

8. OceanSide760

OceanSide760 Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Here's more detailed story:

After the cambelt service/headgasket replacement by the independent shop, started the car, it runs fine but a check engine lights was on, OBDII shows "misfiring".

To correct the CEL. The shop then changed a different cambelt setting, this time the car wouldn't start at all (just crank). The shop then made a few more cambelt adjustments and the car just starts and shuts down.

Towed the car to the dealer. They first told me the Cam Timing seemed right, maybe the wrings were off. But then dealer wants $2400 the next day because they said the timing was awfully wrong.

I believe the independent shop does not have Ferrari SDII, they use a normal OBDII. Is Ferrari SDII required for any 360 to start after a cambelt service?

Thanks.

9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #9 SonomaRik, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    I'm not sure if OceanSide refers to CA, but there are some excellent mechanics in SoCal. I'm thinking if you don't truck this off to a qualified shop, your 'savings' with the shop you are using is going to be just a down payment on correcting all what I read.

Sounds like the shop you have it in doesn't know a thing about [almost] cars in general let alone Ferraris.

PS: Ask me later how I know ;) ...take the loss on their work, truck if now to a qualified mechanic.

listen to Rifledriver ... get a good shop....fill out the profile a bit more.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

No, only a good understanding of the Otto cycle. They are obviously not in possion of that as evidenced by their fooling around with the cam timing several times.

Sorry to say but you had the 3 Stooges working on it.

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ha ha looks just like my dash that...;)

As the man said it worked for me, hell knows what trips it in the first place, IIRC #7 is meant as a safety feature that cuts the fuel if you have a crash, other than that looks like the monkeys at the garage have ripped you.. :eek: