1979 Carb'd GTS for 21K? Anyone know this car? | FerrariChat

1979 Carb'd GTS for 21K? Anyone know this car?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Duane_Estill, Sep 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    #1 Duane_Estill, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
    I wonder if this is that black one described in an earlier post that's been bounced around, someone on our X1/9 board found it and is going to look at it this week. Any help appreciated. Price seems too low. Looks like the interior has been redone or this car doesn't have many miles on it. The whole idea of a Ferrari advertised on 'bargainnews.com" is potentially unsettling as well. You never know.

http://www.bargainnews.com/viewad.cfm?Show_Notepad=Yes&bnAd_ID=6701884&TheDealer=

2. RDzingel

RDzingel Karting

Jan 16, 2008
    Hmmmm....no mileage listed and no photos of the odo....

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It's always hard to tell from photos. Looked like some rust on the lower quarter/rocker panels...not uncommon, but who knows what's underneath.

It's easy to believe that in this economy there are "deals", but something like this always makes me nervous. Unless there's an underlying desperate story, digging deeper usually yields something that causes the price to be this cheap.

Who knows - either someone will get a great car cheap or a money pit.

4. RDzingel

RDzingel Karting

Jan 16, 2008
    #4 RDzingel, Sep 1, 2009
    Seems to have some stone chips on the headlight louver. Looks to have wear on the door-side of driver's seat bolster. Map pocket on door looks well used. Could be the driver never had passengers as the passenger seat looks better....

Under hood looks a little funky. Seems to have a supplemental in-line fuel filter for some reason and a few other non-standard items - air pump removed, "bad" fram oil filter installed, non-standard coolant expansion tank cap....

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

Also interesting ignition coil and plug wires too. As for the FRAM oil filter, I suspect that this is a PH8 or something that fits, but certainly does not do a whole lot.... I believe that the oil bypass value gets triggered do to Ferrari's oil pressure and so you effectively have no filtering.

Cheers,
    Sam

6. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Good colors!

7. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I actually spoke to this owner a coupla months ago...90K miles.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You guys are mighty rough on a $21K car...LOL!

Those are some very nice seats!

Good luck shopping.....

It IS a 1979, though......

9. ZiFF

ZiFF Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2009
    In this month's Hemmings Sports and Exotics, they gave a short profile on a nice looking red '79 with 10K miles on it that recently went for around $24K at one of the collector car auctions.

10. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    #10 Duane_Estill, Sep 1, 2009
    All things being equal.....isn't this price well below market compared to a well sorted low mileage 79' carb'd?

I thought the carb'd cars were increasing in desirability......ergo.....increasing in price.......

11. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    The car's worth a look. Photos aren't really worth much - cosmetically you can make a car look way better than it really is with carefull photography. What you can see of the interior looks decent. I don't like the oil and fuel filters - that doesn't speak well for the type of maintenance the car has seen. Maintenance is critical. The mileage is only relavant as it regards to resale as most cars showing 20,000 mile have WAY more than that. If you buy a truly low mileage car you typically pay a premium whose value is quickly deminished if you drive the car as intended. The missing air pump might be a problem in some locations but most places cars over 25 yrs old are smog exempt. I've see very few 308s outside of California with all the smog eq intact

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The point in value breaks with the introduction of catalytic exhaust.....1978.

The 1978 and 1979 cars have reduced cam profiles and a dimished performance accordingly...and while most don;t seem to care these days to remove the CATS is technically a violation of Federal Law...

I quibble......

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have my air pumps but do not run them, they are aging to the point they could seize and trash a cam.....

14. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    I have that issue in hand - $26,100 w/o 8% buyers premimum

15. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    No milage listed and a statement that the car needs "nothing". Yeah right!

16. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So then you are fragrantly violating federal laws*. :):)

*I wonder if they are "in place" but not hooked up (belted up) if that is okay? I read a lot of posts on here about how it's a federal violation to "remove" equipment. And when the inspections have been done to my car it has been very casual. I would consider an air pump in place with no belt just the same as no air pump -- ie fail.

17. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    What exactly would that "fragrance" be....that of non running air pumps?

Just picking at you Irishman......

18. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    How long has the current owner had this car, and did he mention if it resided on Staten Island, NY prior to 2001?

Just curious, I may know the car,
    Phil

19. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #19 tommott77, Sep 1, 2009
    I have been following this car a bit. The car was purchased off ebay a couple months ago from a dealer in the immediate vicinity (I believe perhaps from the Classic Car Gallery in Southport CT) to the dealer that is selling the car. It went for something in the high $18k range. It has 90k something miles.

20. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    WOW these Ferrari's in the USA are cheap!! I have the exact same one, also 1979 US spec, but it is worth € 37000, roughly $ 53000. I have more milage, but a revised engine. I could try to sell my 308 in Europe, to find a better prized 308 (Euro spec), even with transport and service I'd win! Question is though: does Ferrari sell in Europe??

The British Pound is also getting cheaper, so one could consider to get a LHD in Great Britain. Is there anyone with such an experience?

21. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The belt is part of the system. Removing the belt is removing part of the system and illegal.

But really, they just fall off sometimes, and who would notice?

22. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    The car is worth a look. The diminished performance of the cam profiles is way overplayed. The different cam profile gives the car more torque at everyday speeds, which can save your clutch, and you probably won't notice the small loss on the top end. I've driven a 328, and that car didn't feel any faster. Most 79 cars have performance exhausts and carb rejets, and with that the 79 cars will pull stronger than a 77.

Jim