GUIDE Tool Kits - Factory Supplied Data:Parts Manual | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GUIDE Tool Kits - Factory Supplied Data:Parts Manual

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by shaughnessy, Mar 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    I know it's not polite to bump, but I really would like to have the opinion of some experts regarding the variations of tool bag designs within a given model (preferably the 365 GT 2+2). Bryan, your comment and opinion is very important to me, made even more so by the fact that you have what you know to be an original bag. I'm sure that there are many (well, at least a few) who work hard to make their cars complete and correct. It's just that it's very difficult when one doesn't even know what "complete and correct" is. This bump is my last attempt to bring this old Shaughnessy thread back to the attention of the "Ferrari Tool Master". Having shown us what the manuals say the tool kits should look like, I now hope TS will expound a little on the validity and fidelity of the company supplied tools and bags in comparison to what the company says the cars "should" have had. Obviously the difference in the 365 GT bags shown above is at least one example of the variations I'm talking about. Tom S? Please?
    Tom Kizer

2. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Here's an opinion - judging toolkits should be removed from consideration at any FCA sanctioned event.

3. Ferrari Rare Parts

Ferrari Rare Parts Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    I LIKE TO POST PICTURES OF AN ORIGINAL FIRE EXTINGUISER USED IN A VINTAGE FERRARI.HOW DO I GET THE PICTURE SMALL ENOUGH TO BE ATTACHED TO THIS THREAD?

BY THE WAY TOM GREAT JOB!
    WHEN DID DAYTONA START USING THE BRIEFCASE TOOLKITS LIKE BB?

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Use Adobe

5. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    My way is to right-click on the photo icon in the folder where it's stored and choose Open With, then click on Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I think it comes with windows. After it opens, I right click on the photo and then click on Edit Pictures. Then I click on Resize. Then click on Predefined and from the drop-down menu, I choose Web-large or Web-small, then OK, then save the smaller photo to some place convenient under any name you choose. From there you can upload the photo to FerrariChat.

I'm sorry if I "overresponded". It's like you asked what time it is, and I responded by telling you how to build a watch.

Good Luck!
    Tom Kizer

6. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    #31 TLKIZER660, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've sunk to a new low - quoting myself. I still agree with the first statement but I should not have made the second one. Repro bags are probably more consistent and better quality than original bags. I should not have mistrusted the fidelity and correctness of repros when there is apparently more than one "correct". Here's another original bag that looks like the Bill B's bag posted by Bryanp. It is different than the one in the owner's manual and is also different than Scott Oshry's. Is Scott's bag an original?

Does anyone have photos of 365 GT 2+2 bags that are different than those already posted?

Tom S. Are you still here somewhere? If so, what's your opinion regarding bag consistency?

Tom Kizer
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    For what it is worth, Tom once mentioned to me that there were five different tool rolls with Daytonas. I've seen four different ones and all look original. The Daytona had, by Ferrari standards, a high production run. Ferrari probably ordered these things in batches and used them until they ran out and ordered some more. It's no surprise that different bags would be used. Ferrari also didn't through stuff away. So, if you have an early car in the production run, don't be surprised if your car came with tools in the prior model. Early Daytonas, for example, came with Gedore DIN 895 wrenches even though most people associate Daytonas with Everest wrenches. The Gedores were used in late 4cams and Ferrari just carried them over until they ran out. I'm sure this happened with most of the models.

Steve

8. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Is not this thread to move away from minutia?

9. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    1) This thread was dormant for over a year until I raised a valid tool bag question - still not answered.
    2) Any discussion of 40 year-old Ferrari tool bags is, by definition, minutia.
    3) I understood that reading these threads was voluntary - nobody is forced to read them, let alone post in them.
    4) Similarly, I understood that, while hijacking threads is impolite, questions and discussions remaining on subject (content and correctness of Ferrari tool bags) are permitted - am I wrong? If so, I apologize.

I'm outta here - the MPs (Minutia Police) are after me !!!

Tom

peterp likes this.
  10. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Can yello H4 be found?

11. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #36 shaughnessy, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  12. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Tom: A question for the master, the 246s and Fiat Dino 2400 Spiders were built on parallel lines in the Ferrari Factory from 1970 on, leading some to assume the same tools were tossed into both cars. What say you? M

13. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    I do not believe so. Actually doubt it. Assumption !!!!!!

Please have someone with more experience with FIAT delivered cars, discuss tool kits.
    The answer I believe lies there

14. swagis

swagis Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for the info, as well as the explanation that followed.

I feel that this is also a part of the culture that needs to be addressed before the judges are on the grass counting strands in electrical wires and running straight edges along upholstery stitches.

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    post #3 shows a tool kit for an early daytona to have 2 plastic screwdrivers and 2 wooden handle screwdrivers, is this correct? description text is in italian.
    ed

16. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    Here is the pliers thread
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49475

17. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    How about adding this classification to the judging standards to encourage people to drive their cars rather then just restore and park them and trailer them. I like the tour at Pebble Beach where the cars are actually seen heard and driven on the road so everyone can enjoy them. Is it possible that cars could be driven around an event as part of the judging ???
    What do you think ?

18. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Very interesting idea. Don't know what it would do in event organization to be able to move a class en masse through the grounds and around the people after everyone is in their place. To a degree it is possible to experience this first thing in the morning during set-up but then all the participants only really see and hear the cars in front of and behind them in the procession to one's spot.

Jeff

19. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    Do the Right to Left orientation of the straps mean anything other than Luigi had a glass of wine with lunch and made them that way?

20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    People who remove tool bags should have their cars seized! ;-P

21. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber

22. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    You will need a very large storage facility........How many calls do I receive from ex owners who say they have just sold their car and would I be interested in buying their tool kit which they forget to put in the car at time of sale ??? With the increasing value of tool rolls and full pouches this is becoming very common.......Yes of course I buy......its business....but I thoroughly agree with your sentiments.

23. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Marcus, please send me a PM.

25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    fairly common tool kit. i have one in storage i believe.