Suunto digital watches? | FerrariChat

Suunto digital watches?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by SRT Mike, Sep 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I prefer to wear a digital watch for normal wearing... they get beat up at work, and they are nice and light on the wrist and much more accurate than any automatic, plus being very easy to tell time with.

But I can't stand the look of the Casio/Timex stuff, really.

I was looking at Suunto's site... anyone have any? Do you like it? They aren't cheap for digital watches.. the Core Extreme was ~$400 IIRC, but it looks nice.

I'd like something ideally that could do GPS breadcrumbing for when I ride my mountain bike to unknown places... then I could download to Google Maps and keep track of my routes and mileage. It would be nice if it had a stopwatch and at least dual time zones too (most seem to these days) and of course a backlight, alarm and big numerals for my aging eyes!

Beyond that, I just want a clear display, atomic timesetting and an easily changeable battery.

Any other suggestions besides Suunto? Anyone on here a reseller of Suunto?

2. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Mike,
    They are good watches for people who want their watch to replace a lot of gadgets. Lots of people in the Special Forces wear them currently.

I have one, but don't wear it much. It's a little too bulky for my taste. My brother in law also has one and wears it all the time. He uses a lot of the features when cycling.

3. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Suunto is a good quality watch. I have heard good things about the Garmin watches as well.

The classics are the G-Shock and Tissot T-Touch but they may be less gadgety.

You're on the right track.

-dsd

4. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    That's a little bit of what I am worried about. I collect watches and have tons (around 50!) and I love big watches... but they are just so heavy that I rarely wear them. I am wearing a Timex Ironman with an orange rubber strap I got at Walmart for $30. It's comfortable to where I forget it's on my wrist. I had a $20 watch I got at Walmart that was digital and very big with large numerals. The strap was sort of pre-curved so it fit my wrist like a glove. I barely felt it was even there. This Timex isn't bad but my wrists are big so it is spread out when I put it on, putting slightly more pressure on the sides of my wrist, which over the course of the day annoys me.

I thought maybe I'd splurge on a $400 digital watch but if it's big and heavy, I'll probably not end up wearing it. I want big but light... is it just bulky but light too?

Does your BIL like it? Do the features (altimeter, compass, GPS, barometer) actually work well or are they too gimmicky? Compass and barometer and thermometer would be useful to me... so long as they actually work. Same with the GPS.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

5. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've got a Suunto X6hr that I use primarily when cycling.

Compared to my Tag F1 it's bulky but light, although still comfortable to wear, this may vary depending on the size of your wrist. The various functions seem to work well, although the compass seems to be a bit slow and the altimeter needs calibrating based on the prevailing air pressure as it uses the differences between the two to calculate height changes, but I've found it to be pretty accurate. My main concern would be the toughness of the face. Although I'm always really careful mines picked up a few minor scratches on it and I have a nagging feeling that it won't hold up to a big impact.

Overall I like it and would consider one again, but I got mine on Ebay for quite a bit less than they cost new which helps.

6. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I had the Military X-Lander for a while. The compass helped me out during land-nav in Basic Training. The Alti and Baro worked great. And yes, they are light on the wrist. But I sold it and got a beater g-shock. It was 25% of the cost of the x-lander, is solar powered, and I don't care if I scratch it up. The Suunto was great though. Never had any problems with it.

7. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Some of their watches have a negative display or negative face as some call. Most digital watches have dark numbers on a light face whereas N.D. watches have a black face with lighter numbers. Pesonally I love the look (Black/Orange Core) gives the watch a stealthy, sleak look. However many people don't, saying that the positive display watches are much easier to read. Compare the two types of displays, and decide which is better for you.

Like 8-ball mentioned there are some idiosyncrassies but overall they are a great watch. I'm not a big fan of the stereo-typical digital, casio/timex watches either.

As far as retailers............I'm up in Canada so our stores are a little different. While on holidays in the US, I find it rude not to stop in any R.E.I store I come across. They carry tons of Suunto stuff.

8. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    I wear a Suunto S-Lander as my everyday watch and having been doing so for the last three years. I absolutley love it. I abuse the crap out of it...everything from heli-skiing to changing the oil in the Ferrari to vomit from my two-year old. It absolutely takes a beating and keeps on ticking. Other than the fabric strap looking a little worn, it continues to work beautifully and looks as good as the day I bought it.

I would highly recommend it.

9. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I had three suunto spiders for diving. All three failed pretty short after expiring of warrenty. In two cases Suunto provided me with a repair proposition that was more than half the price i paid to start with..
    In the last case suunto rejected working on it at all as "the watch was wet inside" ( DOOOOH, I'guess, it's supposed not to catch water being a diving watch)

no Suunto for me anymore ever

10. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have a Suunto I've worn for about 3 or 4 yrs now. As for weight, I opted for the Titanium case. Also it doesn't seem to set of the detectors art the airport.
    It did fail on me once and Suunto replaced the watch when I sent it in for repair.

I have dove with it, but only a few times as I don't get to go diving much anymore.

I tend to beat my watches pretty well and it has held up so far.

11. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    #11 JasonMiller, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ive had a Suunto for 10 years, been on over 18 summits some as high as 19k feet. Compass, Altimeter work great, the only problem is the temperature sensor is on the back of the watch touching the skin so completely unreliable. I tried a lanyard but hated a watch around my neck.

Also the battery compartment is water tight with a rubber seal that works too well... the back is plastic so using a coin to remove the battery back damages it over the years until I couldn't get the back off anymore.

To fix it I used JB weld and a screwdriver making a mold of the screwdriver end on the back of the watch.... Fixed and better than plastic..

If they would put the sensor on the front or side of the watch it would be the PERFECT adventure watch..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login