Catalytic Converter Options | FerrariChat

Catalytic Converter Options

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by lencap, Sep 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    How important is it to replace the catalytic converters in the TR? There are two pre-cats and two cats and I'm told that the Hyperflow replacement parts are $4,500 alone.

My state doesn't test for emissions, but I don't want to needlessly harm the environment, or my car. I've read through the search feature, but there seems to be a disagreement about what should be done.

Some suggest that if you ignore the cats you risk some particles from the cats passing into the muffler, causing problems. Others suggest drilling out the cats themselves, but that seems to be a solution with lots of unintended consequences.

I have the stock exhaust, which I prefer. I don't want to change the exhaust sound, nor do I want to harm my car, but the price of replacement cats and labor is more than 10% of the value of the car.

Is there an alternative that the professional mechanics on this forum find acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Anybody out there ever use "Benchmark" cat conv's? Any good? I mean as far as cleaning up the exhaust?