WTF This is music???? | FerrariChat

WTF This is music????

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Sep 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #1 AnotherDunneDeal, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #2 agup48, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
    That was interesting, but in reality, lots of things make sound, which you can call music. If you've ever heard of STOMP, it's basically the same thing, making music with objects. Be it trash cans, basketballs, brooms, spoons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik8jICj8juc

Your 2nd link, is just odd :D :D :D

3. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    I'd heard of the second one. Pitiful. I don't know wtf those people are applauding for.

4. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    This is why motion picture Foley artists do not go very far with solo careers. It just can't be done, let alone understood.

5. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Ostraya
    Full Name:
    Red Power Ranga
  6. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The first one was pretty dumb but I can get the music in everyday life thing.

The second link was just F-ing stupid. If he was a satirist the I get it but he wasn't he wanted to be a serious musician. What a bunch of self important snobs to applaude that sham. It reminds me of a line in Airheads when something about "Pip farting on a snare drum" at least that would have some musical quality. I hope he didn't get rich from this kind of crap.

7. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    I think your view of music is too restrictive.

I heard a story about John Cage. Shortly before writing 4'33, he was invited to a location in Texas (?) where a group of scientists had created a chamber of absolute silence. When John stepped inside he heard a low hum. After asking the scientists about it, they told him that it was the sound of the blood circulating through his system. This fascinated John that there is no such thing as absolute silence. He then wrote 4'33.

John's writing is deep and creative. There is music all around us. How we perceive music is very different (as seen by the comments above) but John's interpretation of music is unique and should be appreciated as an art. He's not a crazy man making random noises, everything he does he hears. The definition of Music is an art form whose medium is sound. John Cage's compositions are no exception.

Of course it's music. Whether or not you perceive it as such, that's up to you.

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    My son relayed the same story to me after he saw my post. His major is music performance and he listens to every genre of music you can imagine. He appreciates each on its own merit and he actually thinks John Cage was very innovative and at the same time very deep in his understanding of music and sound waves. It made me view it another way.

Do I like John Cage and his interpretation of music enough to buy it? No, but I still appreciate that he had enough fortitude to write it and put it out for the world to hear or maybe not to......

9. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Right on. :)

10. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    C'mon guys........Cage didn't WRITE 4:33.......That's not music......It's performance art, NOT music.....I respect what he's doing but as a musician myself I can tell you that NO musical talent went into that piece.

11. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #11 Ducman491, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You may be able to call him an "artist" but a musician is a stretch. To me this is like people who look at a canvas painted white and say things like "I really see what the artist was going for. WHAT? It's a white canvas!

I remember going to the Cleveland Museum of Art on a field trip when I was a kid. There was a painting on a canvas maybe 5 feet square that was half red and half blue. I got in trouble because I kept telling the guide "I don't get it".

I appreciate making music from ordinary objects but to me they have to be put together in a way that combines into actual music. I don't buy that everything is music. Everything can become music if put together correctly.

To me the first 3 pictures are Art. The 4th, not so much.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    +1 I completely agree

13. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Absolutely...... This is one of the very few tv adverts that i really like, it's not quite the same thing but nevertheless brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZk-UZqJnLI