Y Draig Goch (Welsh dragon) Ferrari - Dudley Folland 166SC 010I | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Y Draig Goch (Welsh dragon) Ferrari - Dudley Folland 166SC 010I

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by mcwidow70, Aug 31, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mcwidow70

mcwidow70 Karting

May 8, 2009
  2. Michael Muller

Michael Muller Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    No, 24 Heures du Spa, 1948, Belgium

3. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
  4. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    The webdesigner should be executed! The important pictures I have anyway.

5. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    There is indeed a discussion about 006I and 010I,which was which. Both cars are easily to identify, that's not the question. I know some details of this theory, but cannot follow the argumentation.

6. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
  7. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Michael, how about more of your details on this 010I/006C issue.I have had this article in the 010I file since it was published I haven't seen any real reaction to P G's claim. He seems pretty sure of himself. I will get out my files on these two cars and see what i can. just one man's opinion tongascrew

8. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Here is what I have found. 006I. 1948 pictures from Monaco,Maranello testing,Roussilion and Geneva: grill rectangular with curved top and 8 horizontal bars:wide low hood scoop: hand crank hole just above 3rd bar from the bottom:single Brooklands style windscreen:19 side hood louvers at the bottom and starting from the very back of the hood:rear spring hood fastener over the louvers:retractable air scoop center of coming forward of the cockpit.
    010I at the M M:eek:val grill with flat bottom:9 horizontal bars:no grill hand crank hole:4"narrow oval hood scoop:twin windscreens:17 side hood louvers,4" above the bottom of the hood and not extending to the back of the hood:rear hood spring fasnener back of the last louver.
    It is my opinion the 010I was the car Nuvolari drove. just one man's opinion tongascrew

9. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    No, at least 2 men's opinion....

10. prova66

prova66 Rookie

Oct 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    aka: guido veloce
    #86 prova66, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
    ...unsure if this has been mentioned here...looking at a shot taken from the other side of the lineup of the Pescara cars...a shot looking into the garage showing the Nuvolaris ride...you can see the irregular lower line across the bottom of the louvers...something simple, but might shed a light somewhere...?

prova66

11. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    Are you sure it was red? The color picture I see is looking quite as a B/W picture colored afterwards.

In the case of 010I I think several sources stated the car was repainted. Even in quite some detail:
    "Monaco Motor Engineering covered the Italian Racing Red of 010I beneath a coat of British Racing Green and painted a small dragon, the emblem of Wales, on each side of the nose...."

In the period Folland raced, national colors were still the norm. Especially after the war. Besides why were most Ferrari red?
    The colored B/W pictures also gives another clue: 010I looks darker than the other red cars.

12. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    Now in Cavallino 23 I found two pictures of 010I sent in by an English gentlemen. He had taken them himself and stated: "the Ferrari was of course painted green with a red drageon". So here is an eyewitness report of 010I being green at the time with Folland.

13. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    During the Wyer/Folland period the car officially had still Italian "nationality" as it was never officially imported (acc. to John Wyer himself). It was brought to GB on Carnet basis meaning temporary import, owner as per the Carnet was the Ferrari mechanic Boschi. Painting it green the authorities would have presented HM Customs & Tax Office a very good reason for further investigations...

My statement that it was red indeed is based on the single color photo taken at Goodwood, which unfortunately is a cuff-off only (at least the one I have) from the background, and therefore hard to say whether it is really a color photo or a manually colored b/w one. However, if there is an eyewitness the situation changes....

Concerning the different reds, there was never only a single "rosso corso", as there also was never a specific BRG or French blue.

14. ted walker

ted walker Karting

Feb 7, 2009
    gloucestershire UK
    Full Name:
    edward walker
    I have a number of Black and white photos in my archive and the Dragon(which is red) is in deep contrast to the body colour which I beleive to be British Racing Green.

15. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    If the Goodwood photo is real and not manually colored the red is very dark whereas the red of the Welsh dragon is a rather loud one.

16. ted walker

ted walker Karting

Feb 7, 2009
    gloucestershire UK
    Full Name:
    edward walker
    I will check out the negatives and see.

17. pgrootswagers

pgrootswagers Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Waalwijk (NL)
    Full Name:
    Peter Grootswagers
    Here is a copy of the Nye item on this car where Wyer states that the car was repainted!

See page 59.

Unfortunate no color

Do have some b+w pictures which have a dark color.
    Can not post because I do not know the source

18. pgrootswagers

Mar 3, 2005
    Waalwijk (NL)
    Full Name:
    Peter Grootswagers
  19. pgrootswagers

Mar 3, 2005
    Waalwijk (NL)
    Full Name:
    Peter Grootswagers
    copy of item from cavallino no. 19

20. pgrootswagers

Mar 3, 2005
    Waalwijk (NL)
    Full Name:
    Peter Grootswagers
    #96 pgrootswagers, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. pgrootswagers

Mar 3, 2005
    Waalwijk (NL)
    Full Name:
    Peter Grootswagers
  22. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    #98 Michael Muller, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know the Wyer statement concerning the repainting, but as Peter said - no color is given. When sold to Wyer/Folland the car's layout was changed, from original "offset singleseater" it was converted to full twoseater configuration with major body changes especially on the left side. No idea which influence this rebuilt has had on the condition of the original painting, so it is possible that the "repainting" was not a change in color but a refresh of the original one. I also post a cut-off showing the nose of the car, which shows a rather strange difference in gloss of the area on which the dragon was painted.
    However, as said already, the statement by Sir Anthony of course is very valuable. But on the other side Wyer clearly said that the car was officially still Italian-owned.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    #99 Arjan, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Hello Michael, I think Sir Anthony's report does confirm though. Note that in those days the national color was a very important, even official thing to indicate driver/team nationality. Racing was defending your country's flag, like today sending the sponsor's message ;-)
    Repainting, as Wyer states, is in my view changing color. In those days paint jobs were sketchy, if a car had color it was OK. Refreshing color? This was racing in the 40's, Ron Dennis wasn't even born. (well he was actually, only just).

24. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    #23 ;-)