Case Material Choice (e.g., Steel, Ti, Gold) | FerrariChat

Case Material Choice (e.g., Steel, Ti, Gold)

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Moving Chicane, Sep 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Moving Chicane

Moving Chicane Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    SoCal.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Interested to hear everyone's thought on their choice of casing material (e.g., gold, titanium, steel, PVD coated xyz, etc.) - what are the factors that make you decide which you purchase/collect?

A couple of examples to deliberate over:
    1. Chopard XL Gran Turismo - steel or titanium?
    2. Rolex Daytona - gold, white gold, steel?

So? :)

2. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    With the exception of a vintage piece I seldom wear, all of my watches are Stainless Steel or Ti. I'm just hard on watches and gold is too dang soft and generally too flashy for my tastes.

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My titanium watches tend to be my favorite. Bulk without weight, and they hold up to abuse.

4. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I'm a big fan of the stainless watches over the other materials also. IMO white gold or platinum look too much like stainless to warrant the extra cost. I don't mind yellow or rose gold on watches, although some do look too ostentatious for me. I have a stainless/gold submariner and that is my favorite watch, it has just a perfect amount of gold for my taste.

5. Moving Chicane

Moving Chicane Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    SoCal.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Great input folks! Any others willing to chime in?

I'm a stainless steel guy myself, but am soooo interested in Ti, but just unwilling to pull the trigger on one thinking some "fatal flaw" will be found with Ti (largely unlikely at this point).

6. derek a

derek a Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    CA OR
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I prefer stainless over Ti, like the color better, Ti is too grey. I was also told that it is extremely difficult to remove scratches from Ti.

For precious metals I like Palladium. Cheaper than platinum and doesn't have to be plated with Rodium like white gold. Yellow gold too 80's and Rose gold not my style.

7. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Titanium is actually a relatively soft metal and will definitely scratch. It is however very light and very strong, just not as scratch-resistant as SS.

8. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Platinum or Ti for me.

I like the weight of both and the hypo-allergenic properties.

-dsd

9. BAKY

BAKY Formula 3

May 23, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bobby
    My thoughts exactly.

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    sport watches should be stainless... I have stainless submariner and stainless daytona. 18K gold is just plain stupid for a sport watch IMHO... not durable enough

Dress watches,... buy what you like.

I love my 18K yellow gold blue face yachtmaster.

I would like to buy a yellow gold Patek Phillipe 5135, but I'm too cheap!