health drink? | FerrariChat

health drink?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by parkerfe, Aug 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  2. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    no I get my energy drinks from the fountain of youth in my backyard... It's weird, I've grown a third eye, but I thought that happened to everyone when they drink energy drinks.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Never heard of it. I did have a sample of something called Naked Juice my coworker brought in. Label looks pretty healthy and it tasted awesome.

4. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Naked as in smoothie type drink? I use Naked as the liquid subsrtate in fresh fruit smoothies. Stuff rocks.

5. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    naked is good but its expensive, like 3 or 4 bucks per bottle

6. Motorcitydriver

Motorcitydriver Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Bloomfield, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Another good one is called mix 1 enhanced protein shake. 2.19 here in Michigan.

7. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's the one.

Insanely expensive. But it is damn good.

8. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004
    Uhhhh... how about just plain ol' water? Can't get much healthier than pure H2O.

9. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    True, except the vitamins and minerals from the fruits/veggies contained in these drinks.

And at some point you get tired of just plain old water every single day.

10. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Water hydrates, it doesn't provide macronutrients. Think of drinks as liquid food, rather than water substitute.

Avoid soy-based protein drinks, if possible. As that elevates your estrogen levels...something men can do without.

I make my own protein shakes, with protein powder, frozen fruit, yoghurt, milk, a few nuts, and maybe some veggies (not enough so you can taste them). Very refreshing, and they keep me going for a few hours if needed.

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Typical MLM crap.......no nutrional information on the site.......lotsa superflous hype from paid "doctors" and ex-pro athletes......I'd bet it is packed with sugar, fast carbs and huge markups.

12. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Best I've found is Costco and Sam's. Only place I get.

13. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I am on my second day of FRS before and during bike ride. Ordered it after reading an article in Men's Health. Anyone have any experiences with it?

FRS.com

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Elite athletes did just fine before all this crap came out. You will do just fine without it too. But, if you really believe what they want you to believe, hey, it's your money.

Only thing I would recommend:
    ZONE DIET Read up on it.

15. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004
    OK, I guess I just prefer to eat solid fruit and vegetables rather than ones pureed to oblivion. I just feel like too often people forget about liquid calories and the easiest way to eliminate that issue is to drink only water. I was at a baseball game the other day and someone said they were on a diet so they ate a turkey burger and a side of veggies with hummus.... and then drank 5 beers. I wanted to smack him.

I absolutely agree with you on Zone Diet, or to a further extreme, the Paleo Diet. While I don't follow them to the letter, the ideas in Zone and Paleo were essential in helping me lose a lot of fat and now in enhancing my fitness level. When people ask me how to lose weight I tell them to check out Zone or Paleo--of course, not many people actually follow through. A few times a year I'll go strict Zone/Paleo for a couple weeks and whatever excess fat I have built up will burn away in no time.

16. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Speedy, thanks, and yes, you are spot on.

I find that the zone diet helps me do my best in sports (I play a lot of soccer and I bike and run a lot as well) and it helps me perform at my optimal level physically and mentally. On the days that I am truly in the zone, I can absorb three times as many Japanese lessons, stay up till 3 am discussing nuclear fusion or whatever, and run rings around people half my age at the gym in squats, running, etc. It really makes a huge difference. Recovery takes less time too, and I don't feel heavy or sluggish and I can go full speed all day without needing a nap or down time...I love days with no slumps.

Paleo is the way to go, but it is tough to stick to. I am slowly building a chart of the foods I prepare and eat, and how they figure into the whole block thing. In the future, I hope to be able to see what's in the fridge, how much of it I need for my meal and snack, and be done with it. All the tedious calculations can get old, and I feel that the rough guesstimate doesn't really do it for me.

17. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    True, but most of these "energy" drinks are just giant sugar bombs with a few vitamins for marketing. Usually those vitas are water-soluble so you just piss 'em right out. Protein drinks never do it for me and smoothies (like Naked), as much as I love them, are like treats or snacks. We Americans get WAY too many calories from beverages.

Personally, I like to avoid calories altogether in drinks. If you eat the fruits, you're getting the vitamins and the fiber keeps you from eating the crap that we all crave! Aside from a little OJ, keeping it calorie-free is an easy way to stay in shape.

Anyone try "Ito-En" green tea, from Japan? Get bottles in your local Asian food store. It's unsweetened, super-fresh green tea that makes you feel like a million. It's my miracle tonic, I swear!

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  19. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Looks similar to Mona Vie

Besides water, I drink Fuze Slenderize. No protein, but very good.

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Oh, I agree.

But I wouldn't call Naked a protein or energy drink. I do view it as more of a treat, as it probably should be looked at.

Thanks for the "ito-en" green tea recommendation. I'll have to look for it.

21. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    Lately I'm drinking more skim milk than any time since I was a kid (app. gallon every day in 22 ounce glassfuls with 50-60 grams of whey protein added), and so far it has been beneficial (also, filtered tap water for 99% of all other liquids I consume).

22. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Sounds a bit excessive. When you say it has been beneficial, what do you mean? Noticeably more muscle growth? Higher energy levels all day? What?

23. PaulVincent

Oct 21, 2007
    The benefits are: increased strength, muscle growth, and extra energy throughout the day: however, the milk and protein supplements were needed to allow me to continue with a new exercise that I began a few months ago, and this exercise is what began the increase in strength and muscle growth. If the changes in my diet prove to be a problem, I'll modify them, but so far I've only seen benefits. Five years ago I began using medicine balls in novel ways to increase core strength. My latest variation seems to be the best yet. One personal trainer at my gym has made it part of his program, and he tells me that he routinely sees gains in strength in his more conventional weight lifting routine.

24. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    What are these exercises? Would love to learn more...they sound very effective, and I am keen to increase my core strength. Please share.
    Thanks.

25. PaulVincent

Oct 21, 2007
    #25 PaulVincent, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    In 2004 I had injured my right shoulder doing bar dips, and I was limited in what typical exercises I could do, so I began tossing (back and forth from hand to hand) a four pound medicine ball as I walked/ran. Eventually I got to where I could do a 15 pound medicine ball for 75 consecutive minutes (no breaks for even a sip of water). In four months time (usually working out six days a week), my core strength really, really improved. Now in addition, I use a medicine ball in a figure eight pattern. This can be done by wrapping the ball in a sheet or towel or using a Powersling (power-systems.com $19.95 for safety's sake buy two for use with any full sized medicineball as the torque of doing a figure eight will be too much for a single Powersling to contain the ball). I started with a five pound ball and worked my way up. My maximum weight is now a 30 pound ball, but my workout consists of beginning with either a 12 or a 15 pound ball and increasing to 20, then 25, and on maxout day to the 30 pound ball. I like to do a minimum of 250 figure eights and a maximum of 550 (swinging the sling held with both hands) in front of me starting with a downward swing and then bringing it up and across to make the figure eight. At maximum speed and force, the figure eight looks more like an X as my arms are fully extended (I am sure this is where the great gains come). I have my feet 8-12 inches wider than shoulder width with neither foot ahead of the other. Naturally, variations of this technique are fine (figure out what is best for you). Basically, I used to chop a lot of wood, and this is the best substitute I've found. I need to wear leather gloves and wrap any finger that would still blister (usually index and middle as the sling ropes pass between these fingers after wrapping around the back of either hand) with tape. I tried two pair of gloves, but then the emphasis was too much on grip (to the expense of getting a sufficient upper body workout). Also, my entire body benefits from this, but upper body the most. I know I've done enough when my fingers start to lose grip. Note that Power-Systems.com does not advertise this figure eight technique with the Powersling. Instead they show it being used twirling the ball in one direction (which is fine). I phoned them about my technique some time ago; they obviously don't care. Give it a try as it might just work for you too. To date, it is not only effective for me, but it is the most dynamic exercise that I've seen in a conventional gym (Unless you workout in solitary you'll get a great deal of attention whether you want it or not). Also, try to do this exercise where others will not accidentally walk into the swinging ball as you might seriously injure or even kill someone. P.S. Continue doing all your other exercises/workout as you wish. I am adding more to my schedule as time permits.