Does Maserati have anything after the MC12 to race with? | FerrariChat

Does Maserati have anything after the MC12 to race with?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ferraripilot, Sep 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Let's face it, the MC12 will not be racing forever. I certainly hope they have something in mind to repace it. Or will all of this be up to the heads at Ferrari?

2. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    IIRC this is their last year of competition. I'd love to see them race here again in something but I just to see anything in the near future.

3. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Their new Gran Turismo GT4 racer has made some appearences in this year's European GT4 Cup, which is organized by the FIA (http://www.gt4cup.com/index.php). It made its racing debut at the Spa-Francorchamps race earlier this summer, and has so far achieved two podium results; a 2nd at Spa-Fracorchamps and a 3rd at Zolder. Quite impressive for a car making its debut mid-season!

Best,
    Gabriel

4. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Not bad!! I wish they'd race here in the U.S. in some sort.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6 Nembo1777, Sep 12, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
    Alas there appears to be no significant project right now and I would love to be proven wrong.

The Granturismo GT4 as good as it might be will never be able to go for top honors and I don't see Maserati developing it into a GT2 let alone a race winning one at FIA GT level (now that GT1 will disappear).

Therefore any chance you get to see the genuine MC12 racing versions in action is to be relished.

One of the last chances to see them race will be at Paul Ricard for the FIA GT race the weekend of October 4th, I was really looking forward to going but unfortunately it clashes with the Maserati club international meet at Goodwood and that took precedence.

I enjoyed seeing them race, did so on three occasions: Sebring 2005, where the car actually finished the 12 hours albeit racing under an exemption as it normally would not have qualified for ALMS rules. I have a nice large framed photo autographed that day by Fabrizio de Simone one of the drivers.

Imola March 2006 during an Italian GT series day, there were two racing and one won the race, it was special to see a Maserati win over those "johnny come latelys from Maranello and Sant' Agata Bolognese" and the 911 Porker brigade!:) Imola had a very small crowd that day and it was enjoyable on the first spring day after a long cold winter in Modena to walk around to all the viewing spots such as Acque Minerale, very pretty. The Senna statue and mementos hit you hard though...

Then later that spring I saw the same cars race at Mugello near Florence, can't remember if they actually won or not.

I really would have loved to see them race at Le Mans for which the car was clearly conceived...but yes it bent the spirit of the rules a bit too much to be acceptable.

best regards,

Marc