Have a question and advice request | FerrariChat

Have a question and advice request

Discussion in '308/328' started by J Ingram, Sep 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    #1 J Ingram, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    I have a USA version, '78 carbed 308 with all smog equipment intact except a custom exhaust made out of Magnaflow cats and muffler (which has not worked very well incidentally). My mechanic has a modified, balanced and blueprinted 308 engine with Daytona pistons, all stainless steel valves, a differernt cam (I think) and Euro headers available that he built to make a 308 GT4 hotrod. His estimation was that it has about 100 more hp than a standard US 308. He also says it can work well with all smog stuff and pass emissions here in CA. He hasn't had a chance to build the car but he offered to put it in my car and store the original at his shop after I casually inquired about it. My question is what would be the cost of a stock 308 engine and does anyone any thoughts about the switch. I would keep my engine and either place it back in or sell it with the car if that time ever came.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    TRutlands sells them rebuilt for 12K and your old one as the core, so it'd be somewhere around that $$$.

Why not go ANSA with Hyperflow cats???

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    If he built it that way most likely used early profile cams, not your CAT version profiles....

4. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    #4 J Ingram, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    Thanks for the reply Big Tex. He wants to place the original cats with the sensors on them so that the "slow down" lights will come in the dashboard on if there is a problem and the cats heat up. I didn't think ANSA exhausts were still available for my car and what the cost would be.