World Debut - Spyker C8 Aileron Spyder! | FerrariChat

World Debut - Spyker C8 Aileron Spyder!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by BrianZuk, Sep 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
  2. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

car looks awesome. why more guys don't like these I don't know.

3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ill tell you why...

Because contrary to what everyone says the majority of people buy exotics for the status and the Spyker name is meaningless.

If I had that kind of cash Id buy a Spyker in an instant...they are gorgeous.

4. 360Doctor

360Doctor Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2007
    United States
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1, well said. I have a feeling that i'd do the same thing; simply because i feel that most people have no idea what it is, and most people don't have one. The only time i've seen a Spyker was in the showroom of Symbollic Motors in La Jolla, CA. While on the other hand i could drive 10 mins down the street from where i live and see half a dozen of your typical 360's, Gallardo's, etc. Not like there's anything wrong with owning one; but i'd prefer something unique.

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The Spykers are neat looking cars in person, lots of little details that they apparently worked on quite a bit. First time I saw it was a few years ago out at Monterrey and thought the fancy metal steering wheel it originally came with would make a hell of an impression on one's face in the even of an accident.

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive only seen one once in downtown LA. As you know living in LA we see exotics every day and I dont even turn my head at an Enzo anymore.

But that Spyker made me give a double take and I had to follow it for a bit just to gaze at how gorgeous it was.

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#7 Kds, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    It is an Audi engined kit car.

Therein lies the problem.

Audighini is having trouble flogging new Gallardo's for half the price of a new Spyker.........do you think Spyker can do any better, they only sell 100 cars a year worldwide.

The interior is really nice, the exterior styling is OK.......but it is an Audi engined kit car, from a factory that almost no one has heard of, with ZERO resale history to support it. That is a long road to hoe............

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The workmanship looks fantastic though. I've seen a few at meets here (demos from the dealer) and they *look* well put together.

My thought is that they are underpowered HP-wise given the price point. You're right, Gallardos are kicking out 150 more HP for less money, let alone the 911TT, GTR, ZR1, etc. It's a novelty car that's not faster than anything in it's price range but you buy to be different.

9. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I agree.....they do look like they have been assembled with pride. The details are nice....etc....

10. Kristian

Kristian Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2008
    Seattle area
  11. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    #12 Stackhouse, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Please provide your driving impressions for those that got to ride/drive one! It is the best looking car made IMHO. I got to see a 2006 C8 spider last weekend. WOW the details are extraordinary! The more I see the Spykers the more I like them. Nothing wrong with the Audi V8 upgraded by Cosworth to produce a solid engine. Would you really want a car with an engine built inhouse by someone who only produced like 26 cars in 2006 and 43 in 2007? You get the best of both worlds this way. I hope Spyker makes it and people who can afford $230k will chose them over the same ole F430's ect. for a change. More people need to see how expectional and unique and how well put together these cars are.

13. Kristian

Kristian Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2008
    Seattle area
    here's mine :) - http://www.apexrally.com/2009/09/spyker-c8-aileron-test-drive.html

14. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Having had the opportunity to sit in one at a showroom before, I must say that I love the steampunk design of the car, especially the shift stick. I've never seen anything else like it!

15. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    From the video, it looks like the distance between the top of the steering wheel and the top of the windshield is extremely small.

I wonder what the forward vision is like, looking through a slit like that.

16. Kristian

Kristian Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2008
    Seattle area
    I'm 6'6" and the visibility was pretty good but not wonderful. For people not that tall it would be good.

17. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
  18. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    To me this Spyker is a step away from the wonderful uncompromising cars they started out with. There were some design cues that really stuck out (some of them literally) and they got 'ironed over, smoothed a little too much, taking away much of the character and moving it much closer to 'generic'.
    I liked the old steering wheel too, but it wasn't going to do much for your fascial integrity in case of front impact, so a welcome change too:)

19. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I have Spyker #107. Driving them is wonderful, because the C8 Spyder is 500LB lighter than my 430 Spider and, besides ABS there are no electronic overrides. No power brakes, no power steering, no traction control, no stability control etc. Driving a Spyker can be a little intimidating at first, especially the non assisted brakes. When I let other people drive, all I talk to them about is how to use the brakes.

I have put in the original propeller steering and four point seat belts (to avoid getting an imprint of the metal sttering wheel in my face).

The original C8 is a very "pure" car and is only right for car fanatics. This makes the market segment tiny. There are enough fanatics, and there are enough people with money, but the combination of the two is too rare to built enough cars.

The new Aileron is for a broader public. The non-conformist styling remains, but the car has all electronics by now, and got 250LB heavier. Next step is a more powerfull engine.

For pictures of my car see www.spykerowner.com