Young People and Exotics | FerrariChat

Young People and Exotics

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by DonJuan348, Sep 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #1 DonJuan348, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    How many people under 40 are driving exotics in the area?

2. Pantera1889

Pantera1889 Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Maryland
    I am under 40.

Ron

3. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am under 40, but my wife correctly notes that I putz around like a 70 year old man.

Does that factor in?

4. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Funny Joe

... in having a decision with a friend in the Philly area I dont think there are many younger (less than or about 40) driving exotics not like in NYC area.

5. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Many, many in the DC area...

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    do they go to shows and gathering?

7. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    We have had "on" and "off" years with regards to frequency of events, but yes...lots of people under 40, lots of events around the DC area.

We've been arranging drives/lunches/car shows/club nights/race viewings since 1997.

Most were owners under 40 and even under 30.

Obviously, all are invited and welcome regardless of age...but in a way, we specialize in these types of events in the DC area.

It sounds like you are starting something like that in the Philly area...a great idea especially if it hasn't been done before (or done well) up there.

LS

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Myself and another guy have been trying but it doesn't seem like there are many young people with exotics in the Philly area. If there are, they don't bring them out.

I go to all type of shows/gathering ... I even to go cruise nights

9. Immanuel

Immanuel Karting

Jun 23, 2009
    Philadelphia, Pa
    #9 Immanuel, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
    Exotics meaning everything except Porsche 911's, boxter's,cayman's, because everybody is rocking those under 40, really 30's. With that been said I dont see many people at all in Philly running around with Ferrari's, Lambo's, Aston Martin's, etc. let alone coming out to events/ shows that I go to. I see all the time Porsche's, and the Audi's, BMW M crowd.

10. WRXracer112

WRXracer112 Karting

Jan 6, 2005
    Richmond Va
    Full Name:
    Gray
    #10 WRXracer112, Sep 11, 2009
    Although I do not technically own my exotic, I am the only one who drives it, is insured for it...and I pay for the maintenance,etc...and I am 27 I am one lucky SOB!

and it will be at many many meet and greets as soon as I get the exhaust sorted...:rolleyes:

11. NomadM3

NomadM3 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Damon
    A couple of my college buddies drive Lotus', NSX, SL55, 911 Turbo etc. No Ferrari or Lambo, but not bad for being in your early 20s.

I agree, though. This is not NY or SoCal. The car culture is not the same. I think there are plenty of younger people with the money, but the passion for cars is not there.

12. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    there's a few of us in DC

13. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    And a few of us that are 40 but feel like 30 LOL!
    MB

14. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    #14 jimangle, Sep 11, 2009
    I'm 35, and I've had my 308 since I was 29. The philly area isn't big for young people and exotics. There are just too many other places for younger people to put their money.

Yes, and most people in the Philly area are into BMW/Porsche/Mercedes. My guess is that it also takes some knowledge to get into exotics, and most young people are dissuaded from them by their elders.

15. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Jim, you just opened a discussion that could go on for years... :)

LS

16. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Lashss,

I know of a few people that wanted to get into exotics, and their parents were the ones that stopped them, or opinions from other people. I also think you need to be somewhat of a car guy, or at least have some knowlege of mechanics to be in exotics. If you're not, then you'll be a freaking nervous wreck everytime you take your car out, and you won't enjoy it.
    At least that's my take on it,
    Jim

17. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Agreed, interesting angle and very valid.

Car person and exotic owner are two very different things these days. 20 yrs ago, the combination of the two was almost a requirement...nowadays, it's certainly not.

Do we thank (curse) the NSX for that?

Is the world a better place? Hahaha...

LS

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm WAAAY over the age limit on this test. But I think you need to more clearly define exotic. Is EVERY Ferrari and exotic? 400i? 308GT4, Mondial? The entire run of 308-355?

Does exotic now mean FAST AND FURIOUS? Gotta be a 430, or a scud or a Lamborghini? Is the current Aston Martin an exotic?

Is a Porsche NEVER an exotic? I don't think so. 959, Carrera GT, GT3, and a couple others sure are. How about a BMW?

Is there a magic number, either price, number of cars manufactured, or HP that defines it? Or is it more subjective than that.

Just wondering where we draw the line. I owned a 246GT, clearly a very limited run Ferrari, but not an exotic by my definition. Classic yes, exotic no. Same applies for a bunch of Ferraris, and of course some of the older Lamborghinis and Maseratis.

I bought a Porsche when I was 23, used, of course, but it was about as exotic as I was going to own. Owned several more, and didn't buy a Ferrari until about 7 years ago at age 46, and I hope never to have a time where I don't own one, going forward.

I probably could have afforded one by age 35, but I had better things to spend the money on. Now, I don't, so I do.

DM

19. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    I know one when I see one. Bob

20. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    EXOTICS: being defined as Ferrrari, Lambo Aston , Viper , Porsche GT, Spkyer, Audi R8 , GT-R.

Limited production sports cars that you do not see on a daily , weekly or monthly basis iie Porsche 911

HELL YES all Ferraris are exotics ... Its in the NAME!

PS any guy who sells a 348 and buy a 308 ...has to be over 50

21. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I think if it catches your eye/makes you say wow!, it's exotic. Your 246 was exotic because of it's beauty and size. Carrera Gt, definately exotic, just the exhaust note makes it exotic.

22. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Well the NSX made Ferrari build a better car than the 348, which was engineered horribly. So we have to thank them for that, although the 355 in terms of service costs are a nightmare to deal with. 5 grand for cracked headers, and more for valve guide problems, on top of the engine out service is enough to make me to never consider one. Especially when you can get a 360 for not much more.

23. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Owned my first Ferrari at 34, sold that and now on my second..

24. JoeT

JoeT Karting

Jun 16, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe T
    +1!

25. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I bought my 355 at 27. I hope to sell it and buy a Ferrari older than me soon.