Ferrari vs. Porsche upkeep | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs. Porsche upkeep

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by cosmicdingo, Sep 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Quote of the day, I think I may make that my new signature!

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually, my preference is based on how they drive. Sorry, it must be my fault, but the 3x8 cars have never moved me. I like the way they look, but if I'm going for a romp down a country road, its gotta be a 911 for me over a same year 3x8.

Dale

3. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    There's good reason why you don't see many high milage Ferraris or many low milage Porsches.

4. bwiele

bwiele Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    West Harrison, NY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I owned a 2002 360 for 2 years (bought it used at 4.5 years, very low mileage car). I never had a single mechanical problem with the car, but it still cost me $5k to do the major service, which was a bit overdue based on time, and $1k to change all the fluids the next year. I sold the car in March of this year as a defensive move - I wasn't sure how bad the world was going to get, and I figured I'd rather have the $100k in cash rather than in car. The world hasn't completely melted, and I recently decided to buy another toy, so I bought a 2008 911 C2S Cab for about 80% of the cost (not a great exchange, I realize, but it is what it is). I don't expect to have maintenance costs of more than a couple hundred dollars a year (tires don't count). Plus, I'll get more use out of the car because it doesn't attract the attention, my kids can ride in it with me, they love the convertible. So I'll get more non-economic "value" out of this car than the F-car. I loved the 360, and it's clear I haven't owned my last Ferrari (financial situation permitting), but I'll definitely enjoy the 911 for a while. Let's be honest guys, we're not married to these cars. Trying different brands and models of cars is, IMHO, an important part of the enjoyment of being a car guy.

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    What would you like on your pasta, huettenkaese or parmiggiano?

6. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I put over $25k in a Testarossa that was a daily driver in three years.

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why are there always comparisons between Ferrari and Porsche?

8. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Is the Pope catholic???
    Parts are both expensive. Its just that the Ferrari requires more attention and tender loving care.

9. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The only point that the Porsche guys make, in my opinion, is that Ferrari owners have thicker wallets. Point taken, but doesn't need to be made. Example, when I was growing up and if I saw a Porsche I would think "nice car", but when I would see a Ferrari I would think "amazing and that guy is rich". If somebody feels that the upkeep of a Ferrari is high, then don't buy one, buy a Porsche instead.

10. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol...I've got lots of lovin' to give for my Ferrari

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I would like to add to this discussion, but all (most) of my Ferrari expenses are related to driving the snot out of it on race tracks. The only time the F355 has let me down on regular roads is when it blew out the passenger side radiator on the interstate in the middle of nowhere-ville® Indiana. You simply cannot blame a 15 year old car for blowing a radiator. You can, however, blame the packaging engineer for putting said radiator where it takes 3 hours of labor to get at it--but in the large scheme of thing; this is a pittance compared to the 3 day wait for the radiator to arrive.

I can tell you that I get 5 track days and 5000 miles on a set of road tires (S03s), 5 track days on a set of brake pads (Ferodo DS2500), 30 days on a set of brake rotors, and get just under 7 MPG on the track. This is actually lower in cost than to run my Vette at the same race track at essentially the same speed (tires, pads, and rotors mostly).

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Porsches are great cars; no doubt about it. Fast, durable, etc. On the other hand, at a recent IRL party, on the side of my house parked end-to-end we had my 88 Mondial, a new Corvette, a Miata, an early Turbo Esprit, a BMW, and a black 911. When viewed from across the street, the black 911 in that lineup looked just like a London taxi cab. Even the 911 owner said so.
    Just an observation.

13. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    This statement says it all. ;)

14. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Was the BMW an M1? Otherwise, I'd figure it looks like a delivery van in that company! :D :)

15. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    A miata, so where was the cheerleader?
    As far as my taste goes there was a Porsche and a lotus.

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #41 PhilNotHill, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    Porsche's are nice. I have owned a few.

But there is nothing like driving a Ferrari. Most fun I've ever had with my clothes on! Worth the extra cost IMVHO.

We are only on the planet a very short time. Live your passions and don't look back.

17. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I wonder if you drove a pos. I've driven 911's and there's no way I would chose a 911 over a 308 on a country road. The 911 doesn't even compare.

Jim

18. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    #43 330GT2+2, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have to agree here. I had a 2007 997 TT and recently traded in for a 2006 F430 coupe ... no comparison, on country or any other roads. The noise! that alone is worth it IMO

20. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Well wrong Porsche, a gt3 or the rs versions are the ones. A c2s is even more entertaining the the new TT. The noise worth it? Well it depends to buying new vs used.

21. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Having an 08' TT I have to agree with you.......I prefer the C2S in every aspect except for power. I've never driven a GT3, GT2, RS, etc, but I will say that my recently sold 430 blows away the TT or C2S which are 2 cars I know VERY well.

In terms of upkeep.....well......my 430 was famous for issues, so in general the Porsche has been MUCH more reliable than my 430.... but my wife just called me ten minutes ago from a Porsche dealer. She freaked out cause the seat belt wont clip into place. The guys at the dealership are doing the best hey can but the car has to go in for a new part! This is the one and only issue I've had in 8K miles on the car but my wife and I now have to deal with taking it to the shop......I dont care if it's a major repair or a belt clip, it's a pain in the arse!

Just goes to show that no car is immune.

22. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #47 Testacojones, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    Exactly.

Too bad to hear you had troubles with your F430, mine has been good.

The 360 before which I bought used from a dealer had the alarm beep going out, the ac ecu broke, front passenger side bumper air outlet cracked with no provocation, the headlights needed to be taken apart twice to fix the ugly soap stains, all this in a year while waiting for the F430.

My Porsches have been perfect and the yellow one with GT3 aero package gathers more good comments and looks than the 360 did.

The 328gts, f430 thumps up. The Testarossa was great but wasn't serviced properly and garaged queen, so when I got it was lots of money to make it an everyday car.

I like Porsche and my favorites are the 908 and 917, over any classic Ferrari.

23. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

A P car is far more user friendly for daily use. More stealth, no scraping,(on a basic 911 anyway) no dick head challenges while driving, no fear of parking etc. Higher production numbers put it into a lower league as far as service is concerned. It's best to own both but each has its purpose and the P just happens to be more well rounded. Do what you like it's your car :)

24. hilton5221

hilton5221 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2009
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Dave
    WElll,, my experience was that I owned a 1988 TR for 2 years and spent 2K on scheduled maintenance. Car was bulletproof. Owned another TR and spent 3,800 on maintenance in 1 year. Purchased a 430 have owned it 1 year and spent less than 1k on scheduled maintenance. Purchased a 550 three months ago and spent ....nothing.

Had two porches and spent 4 grand in 2 years on them. Personally I think Porsche is an ugly toad - like piece of ****.

My opinion. Ferrari or nothing.

25. rsqrd308

rsqrd308 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick Roth
    Truth hurts. Hurts so good.

I changed the clutch myself in my 87 930 Turbo.

No such luck on the testarossa.

Different cars, different service etc etc.