Canadian Grand Prix - June 6, 2010 | FerrariChat

Canadian Grand Prix - June 6, 2010

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Monteman, Aug 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    The 2010 F1 Schedule was released yesterday and it looks like Montreal is back. I'd love to go but have never been so I don't know my way around. Anyone have recommendations on where to stay, restaurants, etc? How about a group trip up?

2. redtrman

redtrman Formula 3
    BANNED

May 16, 2008
    VA - Heart in Pitt
    Full Name:
    Jason Bourne
    You should talk to our prema ban leader, Wetpet, he has all the "connections" both on and off the track. Wait a minute, he has been perma banned so I guess that is out of the question due to his ostracization from our family.

Here is an idea, post a request to Wetpet to contact you and I am sure he will read it and contact you. :)

3. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    My wife's family lives an hour outside Montreal so we've gone to the races several times. If you're buying tickets, but early because they go very fast. Ed has some contacts that let him into the pits etc - if you don't have his number I can PM it to you.

There's tons to do and see in Montreal. I would recommend taking a few days off work and reaching on the Wednesday as the Ferrari street party is on Wednesday nights. Every night you'll get to see some drivers (different teams on different nights) on Masoneve or on St. Catherines. Quebecers party hard so be prepared for late nights.

Tons of great restaurants in Montreal, but if you like foie gras don't miss Au Pied de Cochon - its the most sinful place on the planet when it comes to food.

4. stormin

stormin Karting

Sep 16, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Norm W
    I could use some recommendations as well, please post them online for all to view if possible. Thanks!

Norm

5. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just drop by Competizione sometime. It's Ed's other home, he'll probably be there.

6. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Gamma Radiation

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Lashdeep always had good connections in years past also....

8. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Montreal/Canadian GP is the best. Sit in the hairpin...plenty of action and there's a big screen right there so you can track the broadcast.

Great story:
    We stayed at the Vogue Hotel one year. I check-in and head to our room and am simply blown-away by the fabulous room we recieved. It was huge! We're unpacking, and the phone rings. I answer it, and the voice on the other end asks me (Mr. Weber) what time I would like to have the masseuse come by for Mr. Shumacher. At that point I realize that they inadvertently had given me Willi Weber's room. I say that I am Mr. Weber, but not THAT Mr. Weber. They apologize for the inconvenience and tell me to enjoy my stay.

Later that evening I'm in the bar and I see the real Willi Weber and he seems to actually recognize me when I come over to introduce myself and explain that I believe that I have his room. He smiles and tells me that he understands and that I should not worry, after all, we might be distantly related...Nice!

In the bar that night we saw Flavio Briatore, Alain Prost, and got to hang with Mika Hakkinen...who turned out to be a great guy! What a weekend!

Cheers,

9. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thats a pretty cool story.

While I was at the Canadian GP several years ago I ran into Juan Pablo Montoya and his wife (I believe) in downtown.

10. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    285 is right, a group of us from the Mid Atl region have been up there every year since 1998.

It is an amazing trip...here's a vid of our 2005 trip:

http://exhaust.tv/Montreal05/index.php

LS

11. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    That is a great story!

I did get to meet Emerson Fittipaldi one year at the track. We've also seen Kimi wasted off his arse Sunday night after the race as well as some other not so important but famous celebrities.

The ultimate was when one of the guys pissed off Anthony Michael Hall (yes from Sixteen Candles) in a bar. He apologized but was holding back the laughter.

A wonderful city...

LS

12. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    #12 ALPO, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ah memories...

In the Ferrari garage, garage, and paddock and VIP section
    Then the following year in the BMW garage, paddock and VIP section
    Limo pickup by the race teams to/from hotel -- fabulous
    Got to meet the Scumachers, Montoya, et al; dinner with Peter Windsor (Speed), talking to Braun

Remember go-karts and the famous 'accident' as someone drove counterclockwise? Hmmm

We crashed an F-1 party hosted by Outback Steakhouse at the go-kart facility

Dyeing Sean Murphy's hair red in the hotel bathroom after remodeling; red dye in the marble and the maid screaming as we walked down the hall with 'bloody red towels' to toss down the laundry chute

My "adopted son Sean" hanging w/the LS crowd only to wind up in an ambulance ride on the track and hospitalized w/an 8 hour IV drip to rehydrate him?

Ah, fun times LS - time to party in 2010
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I can't wait... In 08, I almost missed the race from sleepigng it off from the night before. I finally showed up in time to meet Puff, sat next to the infamous Rob Lay and then met up with LS at the Bud tent to do it all over again.

14. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
  15. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    #15 ALPO, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some of my fav pics I took were from the Paddock lounge in Montreal 2002 of JPM winning the pole and coming in to line-up for the press conference. The other is one of Ruben B. pulling into the pits also taken from the Paddock lounge. Decadent --tour of the garages, meeting the drivers, signed hats/pics, champagne, caviar, lunch with the drivers, dinner with the team principals (BMW) and closed circuit TV and scoring monitors in the Paddock.

What a special weekend in 1998 (Ferrari guest) and again in 2002 (BMW guest).

16. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    ALPO, love those pics. I remember seeing those a few years ago...amazing.

I would love to post some of my favorite pics from Montreal, but would probably get banned like Wetpet!

LS

17. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    #17 ALPO, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
    Go for it Deep.

My fav is Gail and Lee Anne looking in Michael's car while in the garage (below) and asking "where is the steering wheel?!"
    Schumie was standing directly behind me w/Ross Braun when I snapped the photo.
    The guys both laughed.

Ross then handed them Mike's steering wheel and explained all the buttons and dials.

At least the girl's didn't ask about the a/c and radio.

FREE-ZE WETPET -
    Miami Vice!

Peace

18. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I just had a great MTL memory...Atwater tunnel entering downtown.

A delicious mix of construction dust, leaking Qc infrastructure and high bhp makes for a nice ride through.

God bless MTL...only 9 months away.

LS

19. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I beg you guys...keep me in the loop for the pilgrimage in 2010. I am so excited I can barely see straight!!!!!

20. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Tunnel...Nice ride...at warp speed in a land missile piloted by a certifiable maniac with the audible roar of an F16 on afterburner in a sewer pipe. All good stuff with fond memories!

Spang

21. whitlock

whitlock Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    ATL
    Full Name:
    Whitlock
    Couldn't hear the F16 over the terrified screaming of the girl sitting next to me. And I'm not talking about GRC.

Can't wait to punch some holes in ceilings and get kicked out of the clubs in '10.