Should I revive this camera or upgrade to a DSLR? | FerrariChat

Should I revive this camera or upgrade to a DSLR?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by F430GB, Sep 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    My dad and I were going through some of his stuff and found something interesting. In a bag was his 1981 Canon AE-1 camera with 3 different lenses. I wanted to experiment with it, but it needed a new battery and new film. Would it be worth saving the old thing or upgrading to a modern-day DSLR? If we got the DSLR would the lenses be able to work with the new camera?

Thanks,
    -G.B.

2. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I'm a Nikon guy, and most of the older Nikon lenses work with the new DSLRs, although some don't autofocus or don't meter. I heard that the Canon has more backward compatibility, but there surely some of the posters around here have more knowledge on the subject :)

3. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #3 ylshih, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
    Old Canon lenses like those that suit the Canon AE do not work with new Canon DSLR's. The switchover to autofocus in 1987 marked a change in Canon lenses to an electronic mount (EF mount) versus a purely mechanical mount (FD mount). Nikon stuck with the "same" mount (they added electronic contacts but made it backward compatible), but that forced some restrictions in future lens designs.

For most people, a digital camera is more convenient as you get pics back immediately, can take as many as you want (buy-in costs are medium to high but fixed) and you can learn to use the digital camera more effectively (faster learning cycle). If you only want to take 24-36 shots a few times at low cost, an old film camera works to do that; but otherwise film is becoming a specialized use niche for serious photographers that have specific objectives (certain look or medium/large-format images).

4. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk

Thank you guys VERY much. This is very helpful in my decision. :)

Thanks again,
    -G.B.

5. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    So my dad and I have decided to sell the AE-1 and the lenses that we have as well. The camera and lenses are in EXCELLENT shape. We have the following lenses: a Canon Tiffen 58mm with 70-210mm zoom, a Canon HOYA 52mm lens with 50mm zoom, and a Canon Tiffen 52mm with 28mm zoom. How much do you think a package like this would go for? $300? more? less?

Thanks,
    -G.B.