slow down light flickering 1988 mondial conv | FerrariChat

slow down light flickering 1988 mondial conv

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sonfield, Sep 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    help.
    I am a mechanical novice.
    My 1988 mondial conv...(major service in last year) is having the slow down light come off and on... Car seems to performing and sounding fine...What do I need to do? What do
    I worry about?
    thanks in advance
    john

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Slow Down Flicker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When my 1988 Mondial cab started to flicker the slow down light, but was otherwise running fine, here's what I did:

At the cat, remove the temperature probe sensor (just undoes with a 10mm wrench). Use a small brass wire brush and give it a light surface cleaning. Be gentle, it is an expensive item. In the trunk, on the right behind the carpeted cover (a couple of screws to remove), there is the other end of the cloth woven/braided wire from the cat sensor, that goes into a "black box". This is the ecu brain for the cat sensor. Take off the connectors, there are two bullet type connectors, use some radio shack electrical cleaner, and then put on the some DeOxit or Stabilant to ensure good connection. If you are inclined, put DeOxit on the relays and other connectors in there, probably prevents other electrical problems.

This worked for me. Of course, it could be something more serious, but if the car runs ok, flickering means it is simply the connection. The sensor or the ecu itself might be shot, but not much to go wrong unless the wire is cracking (it does take alot of heat), which you would spot visually. If it is the cat ecu, more big bucks, but it does serve an important function of letting you know if a bank of cyliders fails (probably from a coil failure, which is not that uncommon as the cars age), and raw gas pumps into your cat, potentially causing a serious fire. Such is the price of a racing design with two distributors...

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    My 88 1/2 3.2 had a flickering light also. When I put on a cat bypass pipe, it never flickered or illuminated again. It also ran a hell of a lot better, so maybe my cat was beginning to clog up or deep six altogether.