Birdman's Wonderful Fuse Box! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Birdman's Wonderful Fuse Box!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nickt, Mar 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #26 spiderseeker, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
    ** On the previous page of this thread, Birdman did post something, just click on his name and send him a private message. If he's not making them anymore(I doubt it), you can make your own(I did), the fuseholders are available from NAPA stores. It cost me just as much as Birdman charges plus a couple hours of my time to assemble them. It's much more cost effective to just buy them from Birdman if possible.(He does an excellent job and they look professionally made)

2. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Yes, his fuseblocks are still available - he's on-assignment to Antarctica this week, he should be back soon.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #28 Newman, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agreed especially if its just a simple glass type fuse block where money is an issue. If penny pinching isnt in mind then Sam's fuse blocks are the ticket. Current fuse technology coupled with a design that accepts the fuse covers like OEM cant be beat. I put a set in my 308 and boxer. For me, being able to reuse the OEM fuse block covers was a selling feature, first rate in every way.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    Where would one get those?

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    PM sent.

6. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    If you don't mind would you please PM me as well. Thanks

7. Itsa GT4

Itsa GT4 Karting

Jun 8, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark Sanderson
    Me too if you would be so kind?

8. AndyMc308

AndyMc308 Rookie

Sep 14, 2009
    Hi, sorry this is so long after the last post, but I was about to buy the Birdman fuseboxes, but read this about there being another option which can keep the original covers (which look so nice). Where can I get "Sam's fuse blocks" from (delivered to the UK)?

Thanks,

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    To the best of my knowledge Sam only made a prototype run of his fuse blocks that quickly sold out. I don't think he's made another run.

They are quite pricey, around $300 IIRC.

10. Mr. Nice Guy

Mr. Nice Guy Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Southern NH
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I can't speak to the quality of Sam's fuseblocks - but Birdman's are absolutely FANTASTIC... they are superb quality and reasonably priced (and Birdman is a pleasure to deal with and offers GREAT service and support!!!)

11. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    Has anyone had any problems replacing the stock 8 amp fuses with (I assume) 10 amp? I have not been able to locate anything other than 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 amp fuses for this conversion, and am a little hesitant to run more current than stock through 30-year-old circuits. Comments or ideas?

12. AndyMc308

AndyMc308 Rookie

Sep 14, 2009
    Oh, OK thank you. Spade-type fuses and the original covers would have been nice, but function is most important so if the Sam ones are no longer available I'm sure the Birdman ones will be fine - I see that they get great reports.

My original fuse block looks like the one on the Birdman photo - with melted terminals - and my electric windows no longer work at all!

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day all,

Indeed, Verell is mostly correct in that I only made a limited of my blocks, however, they were not prototypes but production devices. Sadly work duties keep me way too busy to do another run. Birdman's blocks are indeed well made and will certainly work well!

Cheers,

Sam

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Cameron,

I would not use a larger fuse, as your wiring protection will be reduced proportionately. Remember that the fuse itself does not instantly let go when the rated current is reached... Consequently, you could have your circuit operate at the 10A level for several hours or more before the fuse let's go... Would an extra 2A cause issues? Perhaps, as it is a dependent upon the wiring (size, age, solid, stranded, etc), connections, etc. Personally, I would keep searching and find the rated fuse size... There is too much to risk.

Cheers,

Sam

15. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You could always try dropping it down and seeing if a 5 amp blows.

16. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    #41 Jet Lag, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agreed... I'm not a super mechanic, but I know better than to put higher rated fuses in anything (I had an electrical fire on my boat thanks to previous owner not understanding that a fuse should give before a wire turns red hot).

I didn't think I had a problem that required replacing the fuse bus, but I thought it not a bad idea for insurance; and I wanted to support Birdman for all his contributions on this board. Since I put Birdman's fuse bus in: my speedometer works ALL THE TIME, my windows go up and down twice as fast, and I can actually see the instrument lights at night.

I'll admit that the newer-fuse bus and keeping the covers would be nice, but I just scanned, labeled and taped the fuse information to the main cover (like the solenoid lay out), and enjoy a refreshed electrical system.

Thanks again Birdman

17. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Sam, if you could find the time I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me where you sourced the fuse blocks.... and the part #'s would be fantastic also.
    Thanks in advance, Walt

18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Guys, I have had no problem finding 8 Amps. Napa has them. It's the 16's I can't find, so I use 15 and they are fine. In truth, I seriously doubt there is anything magical in Ferrari's choice of 8 amps--and a 10 would be fine. I'm not even sure that they are that precisely manufactured. (Does an 8 amp fuse blow when you draw exactly 8 amps?)

Would I put a 20 where an 8 should go? Of course not. A 10? Probably fine. Of course using a smaller value will never hurt anything, except it may blow when it shouldn't.

Birdman

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Kevin,

In all of my testing, I found that the Ferrari circuits drew approximately 1/2 the rated fuse size in normal operation. Consequently I think that the 5A would be a bit too low. However, one can only try.

Cheers,

Sam

20. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #45 samsaprunoff, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
    Good day Walt,

The entire assembly was designed and manufactured by me and was not something I procured. Well, actually to be more precise, the block bases (my design) were CNC milled by the machine shop, the printed circuit boards (my design) were fabbed by a PCB house, and the PCBs were automated assembled by a contract assembly house. Even with all this automation, I still spent additional time hand-reflowing (solder) the connectors, tin-plating the copper bus bars, and creating the cover retention pins. There was a lot of work to create these blocks.

Cheers,

Sam

21. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
  22. wards70

wards70 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Coto de Caza, CA
    Full Name:
    Ward Prickett
    I just wanted to give a two thumbs up for Birdman's fuse blocks. Just installed them this weekend in my '77 308. The only issue I was hoping the fuse blocks might "fix" was a non working clock. I figured it was a long shot but thought replacing the fuse blocks was just a good idea anyway. Guess what, I replaced the fuse block and now the clock works! Great upgrade and an easy project. Thanks Jonathan!

23. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I had to go "One size UP" on all fuses. Watch everything like a hawk and so far no issues .......

24. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    I have owned my early build 1974 GT4 for 29 years, and everything electrical pretty much worked. After reading the chat about improved fuse blocks, I could not resist, and bought them. Just swapping the fuse blocks changed the car beyond belief.

These installation instructions may help GT4 owners in particular as you must work over the glove book door and the space inside is very tight and cramped. If your wires do run behind the fuse blocks, immediately glue the distance spacers to the back of the fuse blocks and allow the glue to set overnight. Loose spacers are guaranteed to drop into the wire cavity and you will never see them again. I used Shoe Goo, but Clear (non-expanding) Gorilla Glue would also work. Test the holes to make sure that they are clean and open BEFORE starting the mounting process, or you will fell as dumb as I did, working to clear the holes of a fuse block with wires now attached, in a tiny space with no clearance. This will not be a difficult installation if you have little tiny fingers shaped like ET, and no arthritis. Eyes like an eagle are a plus, too. I used a small LED light bar inside the glove box. Keep small children away from the work space unless you want them to learn some new words. My car has less than an inch of wire slack for the left hand fuse block lower wires, and swapping that block is 80% of the entire job. Start with that one. Disconnect battery first. Do remove the screws on the right hand block and push it to the right as much as possible, leaving the original wires attached, because every fraction of an inch will be important. Do number the wire connectors with a Sharpie pen before removing anything. I installed the lower double wire clips and rear wires before the front wires, and I worked from one end to the other, installing the upper wires last because the longer length makes them easy to install. I did test the electrical devices before finish mounting the fuse blocks, but that is not necessary if you install the wires in their correct positions.

The new fuse blocks do not support snap on installation of the original fuse box covers, but I like having them so that I know which fuse controls which device, and metal stuff floating around in the glove box is less likely to short out connections, compared to leaving everything open. One inch wide Velcro strips can be attached to the sides of the fuse blocks and sides of the covers, and then the mating side holds everything in place. I only connected the covers to themselves in the middle. I tried cute little Velcro dots, but go with the 3/4" wide strips and use as much as you can install without protruding out front, for best results. They stay in place pretty well.

Here are my observations about things electrical, after installing the Birdman fuse blocks. For 29 years, as soon as I turned on the key, my fuel pump screamed like a kid that dropped his ice cream cone on the pavement. I assumed that it was just Ferrari design. Turning the key after Birdman, there was no pump noise, and of course I thought that I screwed up the wiring, but the car started and ran just fine. Out of curiosity after a few days, I stuck my head inside the engine compartment, just to hear a gentile purr from the fuel pump. I did not touch anything else, just the fuse blocks. Next surprise was when I turned the key from on, to ignition start, and it fired up with what seemed to be ten times the cold cranking amps. It cranks so strong and fast that I don't have to play with the choke lever at all any more. Windows go up and down twice as fast, with the original rock hard 1974 motor grease still in place. Headlights seem to pop up faster, too. The car seems happier in general, although I am driving it more than ever, and I cannot attribute anything else to the fuse block change, but the noted improvements are beyond anything that I expected. This has been the best investment in my car, yet! Don't wait until you smell smoke, change them out now!
    John McCoy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider likes this.
  25. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    A live .22 caliber bullet used as a fuse will also give you an audible when it blows...….

mwr4440, 308 milano and absostone like this.