550 stereo | FerrariChat

550 stereo

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fatbillybob, Sep 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Guys,

Where do you think the weak link is in the 550 stereo system? Even for the year 2000 it is very weak. What would just make is as decent sounding as the stereo in my GM suburban? Does the whole thing need to go? How about just better speakers? Or is the source of the problem the headunit?

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    a huge kicker box on the rear shelf would look great. likely what those straps are for.

Oengus likes this.
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Would it be too gaudy if I put a giant prancing horse on it so people can see it in the rear window?

4. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    then we'd have to shoot you.

;-)

ketel

5. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    #5 sclja, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 550 audio sytem suffers from #1 speaker locations (behind non transparent carpet and leather) #2 low quality speakers #3 amplification or lack there of... Ferrari though all they needed for a good audio system was a cd changer. The stock becker can easily be replaced but it is not the major problem. There is a 4 ch line output availiable on the becker for adding an amplifier. There are many options on fixing the poor audio system depending on what you want to do.

Scott la jolla audio
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. snowblindfriend

snowblindfriend Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2009
    West Texas
    +1 :)

7. Jsuit

Jsuit Formula 3

Jul 12, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    John
    I ripped it all out. Replaced it with McIntosh head unit, changer, amps, speakers.

Stock was junk all the way around.

8. snowblindfriend

snowblindfriend Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2009
    West Texas
    I REALLY helped the sound of my 1991 TR back in '92 by replacing the stock speakers with JBL's down at foot level and using the grills that came with them, so carpet has to be cut. Installed ADS tweeters in the doors and put 4x11's (i think- been a long time) behind the seats. The 4x11's were box speakers, so virtually no mods were required. A Kenwood deck made this sound awesome.

That was MANY years ago, but the basic concept is the same. Get the carpet and what not off the speakers and let them breathe! Ford really raised the bar with the GT's McIntosh Labs system. My dad's wife gave him a GT & I love it.

All the best-
    SBF

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stereo? We have a stereo? Have to reread my Owner's Manual.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. Jettafanatic

Jettafanatic Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    +1 ;)

11. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    My last car was a MB SL500 and the <stock> sound system was truly amazing! When I was buying the SA, I told the guy at the Ferrari Dealership that my last car had a great sound system and I hoped this one would have too. He said "This car has an even better sound system....it's got 12 cylinders".
    Quite right that the Becker audio is crap, but who cares. I only drive with the top down. Love the "sound system"

12. Robie

Robie Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2008
    Hsiang Kang
    Full Name:
    C. Camillo Negroni
    I just count myself lucky that my stereo doesn't have a (battery draining) life of its own anymore. It's all about lowered expectations.

13. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #13 GaryReed, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oengus likes this.