i realized something, most people who cant buy Calis dont like them !!! | FerrariChat

i realized something, most people who cant buy Calis dont like them !!!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by johns930, Sep 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    when i was younger i used to think people in dubai or sultan of whatevers are crazy, they buy everything, every car in any line up, 4 colors of the same model.... whatever. Before, I see them as retarded.

And then i realized, its because they can.
    No manufacturer out there produce too crappy cars today, especially ferrari.

Spending hundreds of thousands on a car is stupid from a finance point of view anyway, so I'll not get into that.
    But saying the 430, 458, or Cali is a bad looking car is more stupid, because i dont think there is a vocab called stupider. In short, its playa hating.

People are comparing the scud and 458 already, whats the point??
    Just get both if u can, and if u can't, keep it to urself and start talking some **** ????!!

I heard guys bad mouthing ferraris, saying its not practical or the cali's butt is too ugly, etc etc ..... all day long.
    They are not stupid enough or brave enough to plunk down that kind of cash for it. So they have to make up some excuse not liking the car to cover their ego for not having the cash.

I know people talk **** about the cali or 458, but knowing their most expensive ride in the garage is $50k or 150k is funny. Somebody (i want to say loser) even tells me many times that a ferrari is not for him because its so and so when he drives a bimmer whatever, and they have the nerve to express strong opinions of something they dont have or cant buy, (notice i didnt say afford).

I never liked the Cali when it first came out, but i never bad mouthed it, only because i cant afford it after i have some other more costlier ones, so i dont wanna form an opinion.
    I will only form an opinion AFTER i OWN it. But now im looking at a cali, CGT, or a LP640, and the only reason i dont have a cali is because dealer's order wont come in till next year.
    I can wait for the Cali or i like my next purchase to be flashier. Not much of it is because the butt is too big or whatever.

If i can, i buy every ferrari, every lambo, every mclaren, no matter how ugly others say it is, because how can any manufacturer now come up with anything bad today, especially ferrari??!!!
    If u dont have one, its maybe u like ur 430 spyder more, not because u dont like the way it looks, who cares what it looks like when u can buy everything???!!!

Thats why the people in dubai are ahead of our times, they really dont care, they just want everything.
    And i wish i were like that, not having to make choices is the greatest luxury in da world, just say : "wrap them all up!!" wow!

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Why would I buy something I don't like or want?

I could buy a California.

I think it's butt is ugly.

How are those two facts connected?

3. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    You're in denial ;)

Subtile hint to the old IBM commercial ;)

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    +1.
    A very wrong and simplistic assumption by the OP.
    California is the most "affordable" Ferrari in the entire range and for the first time in that manufacturers history is purchased by "first time buyers" more often then the current Ferrari owners.
    Anyone thinks that they can afford $300k + cars but can not afford a $200k???
    As Napolis already said,why should anyone buy something he does not care about just because he can afford it????

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1.

Even if I could I still wouldn't.

Even if I was a billionaire I wouldn't, not for myself at least. If I wanted a front engined Ferrari with a folding roof I'd spent my moneys on a 575 Superamerica. Glass roof, V12...

To me the California looks silly. It looks way to small (length wise)

6. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    oh my god that is so stupid...

What about all the ferraris (or other cars) we like and love but still can't buy ?
    with your logic we should talk trash about them too, just because we can't afford them ?

7. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Aesthetics are a totally personal thing and, if not the deciding factor, weigh very heavily on any purchasing decision, regardless of the amount of money you have to spend, as so eloquently stated by Napolis.

On the other hand, money doesn't buy taste, which is why you see orange Phantoms in the ME and lime green Murcielagos with bling dubs in South Beach.

In other words, they don't buy ugly cars because they *can*, they buy ugly cars because they they look good to *them*.

Same with the Cali, I may not like it, but I can see why some people do and don't look down on them for wanting to buy one- the car drives well is comfortable and looks good to some. Myself, I'd wait for a 458 Italia, but as we've seen in the 458 section, some people think those are ugly as well!

8. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    im just sharing some of my encounters & thoughts

9. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    The Ferrari California deserves neither its name nor its surname, regardless of its affordability to any particular individual.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What a dumb thread.

Who are you to say that saying a "Cali or whatever is ugly" is a stupid thing ? Taste cant be stupid.

I cant afford a Cali right now but even if i could i wouldnt consider one. Not even if i had 15 Ferraris in my garage.

It's ugly, heavy and not what i want from a Ferrari.

11. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    exactly.

12. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    johns930...what you're saying makes no sense at all to me.

13. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Exactly what ?

14. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    He is saying that people who cant afford a California dont like it because they cant afford it. Not because they find it ugly/heavy/insert whatever you dont like about the Cali.

15. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I know what he's trying to say...

I just think it's ridiculous.

There are MANY people who could buy the Cali but don't want it.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Jim, with all due respect, people said that and worse about the GT4 and the Mondial 8 and they were still purchased -- and continue to be loved by their current owners.

You can't have a top without a bottom. Some people like these cars and for some people, it's all they can afford or want to spend to be part of the marque.

The California may end up being the most popular model they produced in modern times -- not because of it's looks but because of it's price vs what else is in the Ferrari line up and it's practicallity.

Heaven forbid the day that Ferrari becomes Bugatti... selling cars only radical cars for the super rich. It's going to be a long day before any average Joe has a Bugatti parked in his garage. But, there's a lot of average Joes out there with their dream car Ferrari just waiting for them to take it for a spin. I don't see the harm in the strategy they are taking here. The California may prove to be the best used entry level Ferrari of all time, and I'm sure it's owners will love it for that.

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    4 Sure. I'm not saying no one likes it. I'm not saying no one will buy it. All I'm saying is that I won't.

I was simply responding to the OP's statement that those who don't like her Butt can't afford one.

I really hope a lot of people buy one as Ferrari has invested heavily to expand capacity to make them and I hope Ferrari Prospers.

I do hope that those driving them will pull over and let me pass so I don't have to look at her Butt.

:)

18. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    lol :)

19. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    #19 sailquik, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    What you are saying will only be true if the price differential between a Cali and a 458 is over, say, $50k.

If it's less than that, even price sensitive buyers will opt for the better car.

Look as an example to the Boxster vs 911- When the Boxster came out in 1997 it was @$40k and the 911 was @$65k, or 62% more. In that case, there were many people who couldn't afford a 911 so they bought a Boxster. (And the Boxster was arguably the better handling car!)

In the case of the Cali, it is $215-225k optioned, while the 458 is rumored to be between $235 and $250, or a 15% difference more or less. I would argue that if you've got $225 to blow on a car, another $25 is no biggie and you are probably enough of a car guy to stretch it to get the better car (even if you have to do without a few options).

In short, I doubt the Cali is aimed at the people who can't (or don't want to) afford a 430/458. Instead, Ferrari are probably trying to attract new customers who would otherwise get SLs and Conti GTs: Luxury car buyers and wives/girlfriends of car enthusiasts. Even then, as the newbie in the segment, I still think it is overpriced.

I want Ferrari to be successful with the Cali so they can continue to build great sportscars, without having to resort to gross SUV's, but I can't understand the pricing strategy here, at least initially.

If when they set the pricing they thought cost would be no object, then the Cali is aimed at guys like Napolis, who might get one for their wives- take a look at his comments to see how well that's going over.

20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The most ironic thing about the California's styling is the fact that I believe, although I have no inside confirmation, that the designers tried to evoke some of the
    style of Ferrari's older classic road cars.

Unfortunately many of the lovers of those classic Ferrari's don't find the Cali appealing at all.

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Interesting observation.

22. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Absolutely spot on!

But I wouldn't worry, many Cali drivers likely will be busy checking the vanity mirrors and never actually notice you blowing by...I'd venture the guess some may not even know its a Ferrari you're driving :)

Only point I'd make differently is I'd actually prefer it not be too successful--not that I want Ferrari to take a hit because I want them to prosper, too, but I really don't want to encourage them to do another one of these big butts again.

Instead, maybe Ferrari will snap out of it and simply let the Cali "quietly cruise Rodeo and then take the left turn to its Sunset".

I agree with one of my good bud's thoughts: "the only California I'd buy has 250 on it".

23. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    That's what I did plan initially,get the Cali for my wife as a Summer toy.
    She saw it and did not even want to drive it,said it did not look like a proper Ferrari and there was no chance in hell she would drive that thing.
    Who am I to argue?
    She wants 612,"nice family car" she said.

24. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I would only buy the california if I have money to waist. But otherwise I wouldn't because its just plain ugly.

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #25 Napolis, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    My wife grew up in Brooklyn and never drove until she met me. She really didn't care about cars. One day I got her a BMW 733i which she admitted handled better than the Ford Granada she had worn out. When the 733 wore out I got her a 750. When that wore out she took a look at Bangles Version and said: "That's too ****ing ugly to drive." I said "OK tell me what you want." She saw an add in the New Yorker for a Dark Sport UTE driving through the night with the slogan "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and said that's what she wanted so I got her a Cayenne Turbo. She wore that out and I got her another one. Now she's thinking about a "Greener" car. At Pebble however she did see and like the new RR Ghost.

Go Figure...