Leather re-dye? | FerrariChat

Leather re-dye?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jjmalez, Sep 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Looked @ a 20+ year old Ferrari for sale. The mileage was low for it's age, but the leather seats looked tired. Does anyone have any before-after pictures of 1980's Ferrari seats re-dyed?

Thanks

2. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    Plenty of threads on this. Do a search on leather. Plenty of opinions either way. I'm probably going to do my 308 seats with leatherique in the near future.

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    i could not believe the difference after using leatherique. on photos but the results were WOW!! my first and only try was on a 77 Maserati Bora with seats and panels that felt and looked like fish scales. All is now soft as baby bottom

4. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Yup. You will certainly find many post of this topic using the seach feature.

Leatherique is the ONLY cleaner/conditioner you'll need.. They also match original color to the "T"... I know b/c as we speak I am touching up one of my seats secondary to my error.
    Pics to follow....

Search for the member "h00kem" and see his work using a dye.. Incredible..

Good Luck..

Post some inter/exter pics too..

ps: You come to the Right Place - the ONLY place...F Chat.

5. ferrari_envy

ferrari_envy Karting

Sep 5, 2009
    I agree with Easyrider on going with Leatherique.

I was going to re-dye the M3 and was recommended by a lot of people about them.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I have some current data for this:

I have a 15 year old F355, I am currently restoring the (tan) interrior to a zero miles condition. When I started, I was thinking that I might need to redye some of the leather, especially the drivers seat with almost 60K miles. It looked tired, dirty, and faded. Just Saturday I pulled the seats out and started to restore the leather. After I got through the layers of dirt, the leather was essentially perfect, needing only a touch up here or there.

I had used letherique several times on this leather over my 8 years of ownership, keepign the leather soft and supple. However, less than perfect cleaning of the leather had allowed layers of dirt to make it look like it needed a redye. After actually getting the leather clean, it does not need anything but a few little touchups. The trick is getting in there and cleaning it really good. Much of the time, once you do get through the layers of dirt, you will find the actual dye in pretty good condition.

{It is taking me about 2/3rds of a day to get one seat perfectly clean. its a lot of work, but it avoids the "Ive been redyed" look where the stitching is the same color as the leather. Undyed leather and the stitching are subtly different colors.}

So, give the leather a good leatherique treatment; restoring the leather to soft and suppleness, and clean it really good. Then see if the seats actually do need a redye. If they do, then letherique is also the place to go for the dye. My cleaned seats are practically glowing with new life and vitality. {And for now, I'm going to wear the refreshened seats in a Glickenhouse manner--as a badge of courage; without a redye.}