Car Won't Start - Help! | FerrariChat

Car Won't Start - Help!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ari Car, Sep 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ari Car

Ari Car Karting

Aug 29, 2009
    NE United States
    Full Name:
    J
    Okay, yes I am a noob to the board, but I have used the search function in a BIG way since joining and especially so last night and this morning since my car wouldn't start. I THINK I know what's going on, but wanted some input from more seasoned veterans.

First some history. Took delivery of the car on Saturday night. 2003 360 with F1. 9k miles on delivery, complete PPI that checked out beautifully pre-purchase. Put 150 miles trouble free miles on the car Sunday (drives like an absolute dream), 75 or so on Monday. Both days included multiple trouble free starts.

Yesterday (Tuesday) evening I went to use the car. When I pressed the FOB button to disarm the car, I heard the usual F1 pump hum and the driver's side window dropped the way its supposed to. Got in the car, did the normal start sequence and nothing happened after the "Check OK" light came on and I tried to fire her up.

I DID notice that the F1 display showed the car still being in first gear, but despite holding both paddles forward in an attempt to get her in to neutral, nothing happened.

I tried everything I have read on this board...leaving the car be for a bit and trying again, shutting of the battery power to the car (using the nob in the trunk) to see if clearing the ECU's helped...nothing works. Now I can no longer even hear the F1 pump come on and I get the F1 error light on the display when I try to start her.

So, my thinking is that I must have left something on when I parked her on Monday and drained the battery enough so that the F1 does not have enough battery power to shift the car out of first gear and intro neutral so that it can start.

My plan is to hook her up to a battery charger today and give it another shot. Any other ideas? HELP!

2. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #2 jjsaustin, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    If the car is not in Neutral it will not start.

Press down hard on the brake pedal while pulling the paddles back. This should work.

If that does not work, I seem to recall people having to "rock" the car a bit to get into Neutral.

-Jim

3. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Don't hook it up to a charger just yet, it's too easy to damage the gauge lights. Pop the hood on the passenger side (right if facing forward) firewall is a main power cut-off. Shut the power off for a few minutes (the switch can be hard to turn) this should re-set everything. It wall also lock your stereo so have your pin handy. I had this happen a few years ago and this took care of it and a subsequent SD2 scan showed no problems.

4. technician F

technician F Karting

Sep 15, 2009
    Press down hard on the brake pedal while pulling the paddles back,if still cannot shift to N ,i think the battery voltage is too low for the F1 system,you can try to jump start by the other battery.You can check the F1 pump work or not when jump start,if voltage is enough,battery is ok the F1 pump not work,maybe damage of the F1 pump,relay or fuse,F1 pump failure is common in F360.

5. Ari Car

Ari Car Karting

Aug 29, 2009
    NE United States
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks for the input. Between all of your good advice and my local service guy (who is fabulous), we figured out that the car was stuck in gear (NOT a battery problem). Put it Reverse then pressed really hard on the brakes and then pulled back on both levers and voila...it went into Neutral and started immediately. Phew! Thanks again...

6. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Well done, glad you got her started. Now go sell that F1 and get a Manual (just kidding).

7. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I never heard about the "put it in reverse" part before as pressing on hard on the brakes worked for me in the past. I will have to make a mental note and keep it in my bag of tricks.

I'm glad it worked out for you and congratulations on the car.

-Jim

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo

That would be quite a shift!

9. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX