Aftermarket high torque gear reduction starters....any problems? | FerrariChat

Aftermarket high torque gear reduction starters....any problems?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by surfdoc37, Aug 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    #1 surfdoc37, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    Shop suggests my starter is bad. I'm not 100% sure they're right, as it was rebuilt about 3 years ago and I'm thinking it might be more of a voltage delivery issue than a starter issue.
    However, assuming they're correct, has anybody had any problems after installing an aftermarket starter (i.e http://www.ferraristarters.com/ or www.gustafsonmachine.com
    )?

Specifically, will they tear up the flywheel requiring further, even more expensive repair?

Add: my car is a '84 Mondial cab

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    I have installed them in Vintage 12's and was very pleased. It no longer sounds like a Ferrari starting but it really gets the job done. When my 328 goes back together I will be putting one in it.

As far as I am concerned we are no longer rebuilding older Ferrari starters.

What car are you dealing with?

3. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I put one on my Dino after multiple attempts to keep my factory starter happy (it never was).

They are so much better than the factory unit in every way. The Dino starts like its injected, even when its hot.

I have a friend with a 512 Boxer, he made the change and loves it.

There is no downside to this starter.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    have one in a Mondial 3.2 - never a problem, always starts

5. frankty

frankty Rookie

Oct 5, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Full Name:
    Frank Yonkers
    I bought one 2 years ago. Works GREAT! The original starter is a Fiat PoS and weighs about 3 times the Denso and adapter bracket. It has a lifetime guarantee.

'85 Cab/Euro EFI
    http://www.employees.org/~fty

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I installed one of the Gustafson starters in my '78 308 about 2 1/2 years ago. It works flawlessly. Cranks the engine over very strongly and is highly dependable. Gustafson makes an excellent product. I've used his starters on several vintage Jaguars that I've restored, including a V-12, and they just work so much better than those old, heavy, ugly Bosch starters that seemed to be installed in all European cars 30 or so years ago.

I highly recommend the upgrade!!

7. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    I put one on my Daytona after the engine rebuild. Works just fine.

Only problem is it sounds like a Toyota until the cylinders fire!

8. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Funny!
    I installed one of these starters on a 1966 Lotus Elan...she sounded like a Honda, until the engine fired!

9. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I went by to a local starter repair shop...and there are as much high torque gear reduction starters to repair as OEM.

So, maybe when new, all work fine...but in time those starters have problems to.

I hope to go back this week and take a picture of all starters wich have to be repaired.

Guido

10. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    The difference is the gear reduction starters are warrantied for life, (I have never heard of any needing repairs) the Fiat starters cost hundreds to rebuild and do not have a warranty...

It cost less to replace than rebuild, turns the engine over faster, and never a hot start issue. Pay once or pay and pay and pay....

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So what?

They are not the junk starters we have that don't work well even when they are good. You are making an apples and oranges comparison.

12. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #12 mustardfj40, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    This is interesting but on my Land Cruiser the stock starter look just like the older Ferrari starter which is huge and heavy:

http://ferraris.server273.com/images/ferrati%20starter%20comparison.jpg

And I replaced it with Nippodenso gear-reduction unit that looks again just the one on the above picture.

On the trails, I always start my 5000 lbs truck in-gear, many times when the truck is in a very steep incline, you can hear the starter pulling the heavy truck up the big rock with no problem.

13. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    You've heard of one now....in fairness, and if the shop is to be believed, it did last almost 24 hours and six starts before failing.

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    And did they honor the warranty?

15. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #15 theunissenguido, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Toke some pictures in a nearby starter/alternator repair shop. This is only 1 week collection. For a small town, a good exemple. There are as much high torque gear reduction starters for repair as OEM's. Most problems are the internal relays. A OEM is much easyer to repair....
    And lifetime warranty is only for the first buyer...once the car is/whas sold, warranty is not valid anymore. You have to send the starter to the compagny who sold it ...shippingcost is always for you.

Guido

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    I bought one from the ebay guy, who i think is probably ferraristarter, mentioned above.

Had a hell of a time getting it in, as one of the cables/lines off of it was -barely-(and I mean barely) long enough. Also, the plastic sleeve a clip hooks up into was too small for the clip, so I had to grind that out.

Way too tight of a fit, etc., plus, probably coulda had a better selection of tools, etc.

Not near as light in comparison to OEM as the ads state(nor as small as seems in the pics).

All that said, once you get the damned thing in, they work just fine.

If you buy via ebay, be aware that the guy has 'em listed for different prices/shipping etc., so take a bit of time in pulling the trigger and you'll save a few bucks(if you're not in a hurry).