I give up. I don't think owning a 308 would be worth it (for me). | Page 7 | FerrariChat

I give up. I don't think owning a 308 would be worth it (for me).

Discussion in '308/328' started by SLC Tortfeasor, Apr 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Of course they will, if you insist on paying someone ELSE, at Ferrari-labor prices, to chase every little gremlin down. I don't see anything on his list of maladies that I couldn't tackle myself. He paid a mechanic to do it. HUGE difference in cost associated with that strategy of maintenance. And that's the big problem with cars of the 308/328 category - modern labor rates don't line-up with the cost/value of the car in a way that easily justifies the impending professional-maintenance costs. Most every 308/328/Mondy owner I know has a DIY mentality, unless we encounter something that is just WAY over our heads mechanically. But that's the price we pay for entry.

2. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    But his starter problems should have been corrected by the mechanic the first time. There is no excuse for that except shoddy work. Just because he decides to have a mechanic perform his maintenance does not mean that he should not get quality work.

3. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I thought his diatribe was well written and funny...maybe he's really Dave Barry? As a guy getting close to pulling the trigger on his first F-car I have to admit I was squirming in my seat.....hope my late 80's 328 is not possessed like Surfdoc's car was...

4. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    "Heaven is where the Police are British, the Chefs are French, the Mechanics are German, the Lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.
    Hell is where the Chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, the Police are German and it's all organised by the Italians."

5. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    I resent that. ;)

6. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    I suspect his Mondial repeat starter issues are more likely cable and ground issues.
    And yes the Mondials do have alot of electrical gemlins--carry wiring diagram, a tester meter and jumper wires to get home.

I cured the starter issues on my Mondial 8 with cleaning all connections including doing away with the quick connect at the drivers side frame disconnect and adding a redundant ground strap. That was after replacing the starter with a lightweight reduction model that did not cure the problem.

I figure the Mondial 8 hs been alot cheaper to own than the wife's Volvo V70XC that has cost about $36K in depreciation and repairs over 7 years vs. about $4k for the Mondial over 2 years, including replacing the TRX wheels and tires with later convex Mondial wheels and 16 inch tires--do almost all own maintenance and repair on both. That leaves enough "savings" to buy a Jeep as a rain car. The Ferrari is also cheaper than a mistress and sounds alot better.

Owning a 3x8 or Mondial Ferrari is a manageable risk for reasonably situated (high 5 figures) people. But you have to be willing to live with the quirks to enjoy the rewards. My history of owning Fiats and Bertones as well as 60s Chryslers helped prepare me for living with and enjoying a high maintenance high rewards vehicles. And yes they may sit for a bit if they need something until I get the time parts and money to repair. My Baby Girl's Volvo 240 is sitting now waiting for headlights to come in after she rear ended a Saturn Friday on way home from High School so the Mondial wheels did not get finished to go get the new tires while I put a replacement nose on the Volvo. She asked if she could drive the Ferrari to school while her car was out of service--yeah right. Kids gotta love em.

Wife won't call when she gets to the school to work at to say she saw a Porsche, but did this week to say she parked next to a 328. Coworkers will remark if they see a Ferrari in the lot or deck at the government center--asked if I had seen mine first time I drove it in, they are used to mine now.

If ya want boring reliability get a Volvo, Toyota, or Corvette.

If you want to live go with the Prancing Pony.

As the 82 factory brochure and ads said--

"Only those who dare...truly live"

7. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    They're also a good way to meet tow truck drivers. After the second time the same guy towed me for AAA, he gave me his card. The next two times I just called him up before I call AAA and they sent him right over. He knows where I live and drops me off at the house, and the last time I was so pissed off he even bought me a Coke. No kidding.

8. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    #158 fgcfire8, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    Owning a car trailer helps prevent meeting tow truck drivers.
    Most of the fleet has been hauled home at one time or another, including the V70.

9. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Whenever I take the 308 out, my wife hands me the "flatbed phone".

I've never had to use it for the 308, but the 330 was a different story...starter, alternator, and clutch all went during my ownership.

10. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #160 davebdave, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Hey doc,
    that sounds like an Alfa we bought years ago. We spent all kinds of money on it and ended up donating it to the salvation army. After we gave it away I happened to run by an Alfa shop. I stopped in and casually told the owner that I used to have an '84 but that I couldn't afford to keep it. He got really pissed off. He said that I bought a piece of s***. Of course the difference is that when all was said and done we had about $5,000 total in the Alfa. We spent that much on the Mondi in the first hundred miles. Since sorting out the existing problems our car (knock wood) has been very reliable. I hate to say it but if I were you, I too would consider cutting my losses. It sounds like you might have a piece of s***

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #161 spiderseeker, Sep 18, 2009
    Unless you have deep pockets, old cars are for enthusiasts, that enjoy tinkering on them, to keep them running properly. To me it's part of the bonding experience, with the car. People that have to take the car to the dealer, for every little problem , need to buy cars with warrantees.
    I've put many times more money in my 95' Lexus, than I have in my 85' 308qv. After taking a few months initially, to sort little things, the 308qv has been bulletproof for the past 4 years.

12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #162 AceMaster, Sep 18, 2009
    That is more than enough to own one of these. I make less then $65,000 per year yet own a 348. If I had your income, I wouldn't be looking at a 308, I'd be looking at an Enzo.

It seems that you are not the type of individual who could be a Ferrari owner. If you are not willing to pay the price for the expensive maintenance, then you should buy a Honda instead.

13. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    #163 bertspeed, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Hi guys just joined after reading this thread.I too had doubts about getting a 308 gtb myself ,my doubts were I`ve already got a daily drive golf ,an austin healey sprite and a fiat dino coupe,and no garage.Having had the two classics for many years I cant bear to part with them and an extravagant fourth car seems too much.But your comments enlightened me more to the rewards of owning a 308 gtb.I am now definate on the decision to get one .I had always wanted a 246 gt but prices have gone silly and the only alternative that I liked was a 308 gtb ,I have been for a test drive and am definately hooked.My ideal car is a fibreglass one but a good carb steel one would do.My main problem is that here in the U.K the is a big difference in the prices asked and what the "market" will pay.I know there is more to it than purchase price but I just cant pay an over inflated price for a car that if I had to sell the next day I would lose a huge amount of money on.any advise

14. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Bert,
    1. don't be in a rush to buy.
    2. don't buy a car if you will have to sell the next day.