250 lusso opportunity- not barn find but close | Page 6 | FerrariChat

250 lusso opportunity- not barn find but close

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jav, Jul 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    Sounds like a dream; congrats and best of luck!

Would you mind sharing how you stumbled upon the car? I'm guessing you paid way less than the market value of the car, but was it like, tons less? I won't be gauche and asked how much you paid; it sounds like the prev. owner knew the value but wanted you to have it.

cheers,

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Minor correction ;)

Pete

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    John,

Good to hear that her heart is strong and without undue noises.

It sounds like you're getting very close to putting her in gear for the first time and roll out your driveway. It'd be great to have someone catch some video of that, I think there are a good few here who would like to see it.

No, get 2 camera's: one to register the moment from the outside, another one focussed on your face. It'll be a moment that won't repeat itself.

4. Rey

Rey Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    Rey
    What a great post John! The whole thread has been a pleasure to soak in. Guess the weather here in MA has given you and your Son good opportunity to work on the car without real temptation to test that beauty out on our messy roads. Spring is drawing near and hopefully she'll be ready for her coming out! Sure hope we get a chance to see it out and about.

-Rey

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba

Hey, I thought I'd chime in.....if you register as the current owner of the car at the Factory Website, and enter the VIN, in a few days they come back and confirm the build date and OEM colors....I have all the info on my three, the red one was blue....LOL!

Anyway, you can also put your pictures into My Garage there..

And don't take any more crapola from your "Regional Rep"! LOL!

If you start pulling interior trim you'll likely find enough overspray to get a good scan of some unfaded paint.....so there's two ways to run at it. Man, if you have a VIN that Macel doesn't know, you HAVE found a "sleeper"!!!

Alan

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #131 BigTex, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, it's her "job description" to sell the Classiche Services, certainly, but to be unaware of even the rudimentary features of the normal Factory support is a bit odd.......

Maybe she has OTHER redeeming assets........:D :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. mdsaxon

mdsaxon Karting

Sep 18, 2006
    S.W. Florida
    And you should know, we are ALL grinning right along with you in your efforts! Thank you for the continual updates.

8. cabaynes

cabaynes Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Oh man I am so jealous. I would give ANYTHING for the chance to have this kind of opportunity. Please keep this thread updated with lots of pictures so I may vicariously live through your efforts!

Best!

9. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Since there hasn't been an update in a while I thought I would check and see where you are with your "refresh" and if the reason for the lack of posts might be the fact that the car is out being enjoyed as it was intended to be!

In all seriousness this thread is one of my favorites as I like to see nice cars end up with true enthusiasts, and the fact that you're sharing this experience with your son makes it that much better. So all the best and don't be afraid to post the progress (with pictures of course).

10. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Marc,

thanks for asking.... due to lifes demands, progress has been slow of late so unfortunately, we aren't out and about enjoying the car. Nice thought though.

We are very much enjoying it's presence and tinkering as time permits but progress has slowed quite a bit. I look at it everytime I open the garage and even as it sits, it brings me enjoyment and a smile which these days, is very welcome.

About the only thing to report is that I had a highly respected paintless dent technician come look at a small ding which he attempted to correct (and did)- but the paint spider-webbed ever so faintly. He predicted this was possible, even likely, given the age of the paint but I opted to try it because it took me months to get him out. I'm not sure how or if I'm going to address that.

I wish we were further along but as we approach busy season for me, sports season for the kids and with the economy still in limbo- I don't expect too much progress until the fall but ....one never knows.

Regards

John

11. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I completely understand that life can get in the way of one's automotive pursuits and it sounds like that's exactly what's happening.

As for the paint repair, it was worth a shot and depending on what you intend on doing with the car it might best to smooth the webbing as best you can and just drive the car. After all a little patina never hurt a driver. It's also great to hear that the car causes a stir just by looking at it in the garage. You're fortunate to have such an example and I envy your view.

I appreciate the update so best of luck with her and I'll stay tuned to see what's next.

12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi John,

You're certainly not the only one here to be stalled due to the economic woes of the world. Things will get better.

Regarding the small paint damage: I'm sure there will be a competent shop near you where the damage can be adequately repaired without too much bleeding.

We need more pics!

13. gamby

gamby Karting

Aug 17, 2006
    Absolutely.

This is an awesome thread. Wow...

14. 4za

4za Formula 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Edmonds, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    How's the progress coming?

I have great memories of restoring a car with my dad too ('60 Buick LeSabre coupe), it's something every father and son should do!

Kudos to you and your son - enjoy the car in good health. :)

15. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    #140 jav, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    Actually- we're just now wrapping up our summer commitments and thinking about getting back into the car.. so unfortunatly- nothing new to report. I did have one interesting consequence that I attribute to the car though...

My son really took an interest in the work we had been doing on the car and took some of his money and bought a fixer-upper quad- which we fixed together for his use. Nothing too crazy- mostly mechanical work and he really enjoyed it- both the work and riding it.

The freind he rides with has a dirt bike and my son decided he'd like to try one of those but, we really didn't have the room for both the quad and a dirtbike - nor did he have the funds for the KTM bike he wanted.
    I suggested putting the quad on craigslist to see if he could fund the new purchase and he put it up not expecting much.

Wouldn't you know it- he had 5 inquiries in less than an hour and ended up getting TWICE what he had into it the following day! After doubling his money, he was still short for the KTM but realized what he had just done, was a pretty good deal. SO -he banked half his money and with the other half bought another project bike and "REALLY" went to town it. I mean right down to bare metal respray, new plastics and graphics, every wear item replaced... the works. It looks absolutely new and fantastic! BUT- it seems I have a new problem. Now that it's done, he thinks it's too nice to ride AND wants to put it up for sale before anything happens to it.

SO - I'm a little torn. Being able to work with him IS my reward but I'm hoping he learns to "enjoy" the fruit of his labor instead of worshipping the buck his labor can bring. I explained that to him, and re-assured him that since he's redone it once, he can surely repair any damage he may inflict enjoying it - but so far- he's not biting. In his head- he's planned out several more projects- doubling his money at each venture, and having enough for a Yamaha R1 by the time he's 16- which my wife and I have forbidden until he's 31 or within our influence.

He's a great kid but at that age where he's fighting back pretty hard so I'll have my hands full getting him to accept that he doesn't know it all.... yet.

16. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

You had better figure out a way to convince him that it is okay to drive the restored vehicle or else he will try to hide the keys on you after you finish up the Lusso! LOL!

As for the "know it all 16 year old", I am in that phase with 15 year old twin girls and I am not too optimistic that I will see the end of that before they are likely to be paraphrasing Mark Twain's observation: "When I was a boy of 14 my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. When I got be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in 7 years!"

17. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John

I feel your pain! My son is almost 15 and my daughter is 16 which means mom and I know absolutely nothing and they humor us by letting us "think" we have an impact in their lives. At least my son still needs me as he gets "stuck" quite often on his projects and he does still enjoy helping with my mine.

My duaghter... good lord! Can she push our butttons! I can't imagine 2! I have plenty of beer in the fridge is you ever need a free therapy session! I'm sure it's just the age and she is a fantastic student BUT- we'd be damned if she had access to her own cash!

18. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    John,

As a similarly situated parent, I think you are extremely fortunate to have successfully cultivated a strong sense of initiative in your son. At a time when our society has endorsed wanton expenditure and irresponsibility, it's fantastic to hear of someone his age recognizing the value of hard work. Rather than criticizing him for "worshipping the buck" (which happens to be the motive force that has throughout history most improved the quality of human life), I would applaud his maturity in delaying gratification.

Starting at his age I took a similar course - buying abused sports cars, improving them and selling at a profit. In addition to enjoying some fantastic rides (e.g. a nearly new E-type OTS at age 17, then Ferraris, etc), this process enabled me to leave grad school debt free and buy a nice house. The same process works with houses . . .

Please don't slow him down - our country needs more like him, especially now when enterprise and initiative are being demonized.

And please let us see and hear more of your project and work.

Don

19. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    Don-

I hear you. I did very much the same thing and am very proud of his work ethic and thought process- with one minor exception. Having watched my father wither away too early and over several years, I came to realize that it's not the material things that make memories or bring joy- It's all the little things along the way that we get to experience with those we love. I saw my sons pride when he finished it and when he first rode it (on our paved road- so he didn't get it dirty)! He loved it! I want to see him enjoy it! Covered with mud- washing it, dumping it trying something new... that's living. He'll still get to sell it- I just want to see him find joy in the whole experience- not regret having sold it without enjoying it.

I can't help but be reminded of something I read in one of Jim Napolis's posts (I think ??) which in effect said - not enjoying your car so the next onwer can is akin to not enjoying your girlfreind to keep her desireable for the next guy. He said it much more eloquently than that but the gist is there and I'm a believer.

20. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    John,

Certainly agree that losing a parent focuses the mind. But I think the definition of "enjoyment" or "use" varies considerably from one individual to another.

In another thread, someone speaks proudly of using a vintage Ferrari to run errands, e.g. haul bags of potting soil, etc. Maybe such use enhances his experience of the car, but it undeniably accelerates the depletion of various finite elements. I'm more conservation-minded and demanding in the way that my cars look and operate, so I limit the depletion of my collector cars to more meaningful occasions. Although I drive my cars aggressively and reasonably often, I also derive great enjoyment from seeing these beautiful objects in my garage in fine condition, year after year, without potting soil in the carpets.

Napolis' comment is of course somewhat tongue-in-cheek, on several levels. I don't think it should be construed as an endorsement for imposing your sense of enjoyment onto your son. He probably derives great pride from selling to an appreciative buyer the flawless product of his work. He can always find a less perfect machine to enjoy riding. Maybe he's reached a level of maturity where he can strike his own balance. He'll know soon enough if he made the wrong decision - seller's regret is a virulent affliction.

21. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    Don-

very well put and I mostly agree. If his project were something of significance like an old Triumph or Indian- I'd be more inclined to respect it's conservation -(although I'd still want to enjoy experiencing it). And perhaps I shouldn't impose my thirst for the experience on him...(not that he's letting me anyway)... but - my greatest hope is that he finds a way to smell the roses during our rather short journey. All work and no play...

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Good thoughts.

Best

23. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    No connection between roses and potting soil, I hope . . .

24. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    This was a great thread and it suddenly died! What is going on with this car?

25. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    I apologize for the lack of regular updates and I wish there was more to report but the project has taken a back burner to life's demands....which have been heavy for a while now. This indulgence seems a little selfish and secondary to my daughter school visits and college preperation.

The good news is it's still in MY garage and we start it regularly. We tinker as we can but the big push awaits better circumstances.