355's in the mid 30's | FerrariChat

355's in the mid 30's

Discussion in '348/355' started by TonyinPalmBeach, Sep 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonyinPalmBeach

BANNED

Sep 18, 2009
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Tony Green
    I'm paying cash and I don't want to overspend. Maybe I need to keep my original plan of buying a Mondial T Cab for around $30K but if I could get into a F355B for mid 30's, then I would spend the extra cash.

With a volatile economy I thought it might be possible.

If I plan on keeping the car for life (which I do), should I be overly concerned about the miles? Resale on the car won't matter to me at all, so a driver is what I'm after... Thoughts?

I'd be putting about 10K miles a year on the car. Could I safely estimate around $2,500 a year for general maintenance?

Anybody got one or know of someone selling one?

All advice WELCOMED

2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    #2 Chupacabra, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    Hi Tony,

I'm fairly new here, too, but after a lot of Ferrari research and shopping, I think I can probably answer your question pretty easily. If you find a 355 in the mid-30's, you probably don't want it. To get that low (and still be in good cosmetic condition) you're probably looking at a good amount of work, possibly including bad valve guides and bum manifolds.

There may be some higher mileage cars that are well kept that are approaching that number, but I haven't come across any. I'm sure someone will here direct you to such an example if there is one. Best of luck -- Ferrari shopping is kinda like a fun little scavenger hunt! I've found lots of rock and very few eggs, but I'm enjoying it. :)

3. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The day you find a 355 for mid 30s price is the day it snows in Trinidad. If there was one around it would be trashed and you would be looking at 40K just to make it right. Good luck and happy dreams.:)

4. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    Even if you found one in the 30s I GUARANTEE it will need Major Service ($10k), possible clutch ($3-5k), etc....

5. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    +1.......ain't gonna happen!

6. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Even a 348 in the mid 30's will probably be either cosmetically or mechanically a piece of poop. Finance the rest and get a good one, or just wait until you have more money. what I would do in your situation is buy a really cherry used 911. Way cheaper to maintain and purchase, and 10k miles a year is no problem. Unless, of course, you HAVE to have a Ferrari, which is understandable.

7. TonyinPalmBeach

BANNED

Sep 18, 2009
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Tony Green
    OMG!!! G'z did I start an excellent "fantasy forum". I figured with the end of the 430 era drawing nigh, and the market there was a possibility ...LOL. Thanks everybody for setting the record strait.

There was a 95 Berlinetta on craigslist with 80K I could have bought for around $32K but the engine photo alone scared me off.

I'm probably looking at Mondial T Cab money. I'm in the process of buying a boat too. I live on the water and have a boat dock that's been empty for a year driving me nuts, but maybe I should offset some $$$ from my boat budget and apply to the car? Truth is I'm a stocky guy so the Mondial seat to me isn't quite as comfortable as the 355. I bought a Mondial and had for 2 weeks b/c of title problems. I drove from Palm Beach to Miami and back and thought about fasting for 6 months!

True money to buy a decent Berlinetta what am I looking for and what should I be paying?

8. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    #8 rbellezza, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    I agree as well, in my opinion you could perhaps look in to 348's, even if I doubt would be well maintained for that price, at least would be easier to fix. Remember that a major service run for 10K if you are lucky on those cars. Also, I doubt $2,500 would be enough to run 10.000 miles a year. Anyway, I wish you luck and who knows, you could find a good one instead ...

A good Berlinetta with major just done .... 60K +

9. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
  10. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    $65-75k, you'll get a good car that has had the known issues fixed and needs nothing.
    $55-65k, many solid cars in this range, but might need some points tended too
    $45-55k, still *some* decent cars out there, but more will have potential issues / need a major, haven't had guides and headers taken care of.

Under $45k...better off gambling in Vegas :D

11. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    +1, you get what you paid for. I spent over $15k on just keeping up the maint. in almost 5 years of ownership; fortunately, I only have to do annual fluid change until 2013.

12. TonyinPalmBeach

BANNED

Sep 18, 2009
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Tony Green
    The more I think about the annual costs of a 355, the more I think it wouldn't be that bad in comparison to what I've got now. Presently I'm driving a 2004 MB CL500. Let me tell you, I've never owned a bigger pile of SH*T!

I bought it with higher miles on it then average but I've driven it less than 10K miles and it's cost me about $12,000 in major expenses. This is my 3rd and last Benz. I figure that's the costs of owning an exotic not common MB.

I don't owe anybody any money so a little extra costs on driving a dream, won't hurt me too bad. I just gotta pray boat troubles don't hit at the same time as car troubles!

Your input is very helpful and much appreciated...

13. 355 Shwing

355 Shwing Karting

Sep 9, 2009
    Gulf Breeze, Fl
    Full Name:
    Craig Payette
    Tony,

The cost of ownership of a boat exceeds that of a Ferrari. Trust me, I have both. Also, I think that you would be better off spending the extra cash on a 355 rather than buying a lesser model. Sometimes, you can pick up a 355 that has had some damage history for less money. There are some out there that have been fixed properly. I had bought a 355 a few years ago that was in a wreck. It was fixed properly, and there wasn't a soul that could tell that it every was wrecked. Good luck to you.

Craig

14. barada

barada Karting

Jul 12, 2007
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have been surprised to see some really good 355's, cars I am personally familiar with in the mid to high 40's.

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have seen that too especially spyders. For some reason they are cheaper than B's or T's. My guess is that there are more spyders. If the dealers can sell these cars mid 40's+ and they are not selling by the way, you know the dealers got them for the 30's. So people are willing to sell them in the 30's. The 355 line is the only ferrari where the spyders are the cheapest. Does anyone really know why?

17. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #17 eulk328, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    I don't think anyone really can say they know why Spyders are cheaper but I certainly noticed that too.

I like Spyders too but my opinion is that they add a LOT of complication to a complicated car and this is certainly the time frame when they can start to have additional problems surface. If it were a fully manual top it would be another story. Having said that, I don't think that most people attracted to the Spyder are going be thinking about the additional complication. That would be too rational. Ferraris are not about being rational :)

I'm sure there are Spyder owners out there that have not had problems with the top. Not picking on this version so need to defend your choice :) I like them too.

18. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I know of a local car that was bought for high $30s and it is taking at least $20K to make it road worthy and safe. The old cliche of "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari" definitely rings true. Buy the best you can afford and you will be happier in the long run.

19. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
  20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #20 Bullfighter, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    This is a good point, although I've had a Mercedes and they aren't exotic (I've ridden in many Mercedes taxis in Europe.) You can get the car serviced promptly, and every part seems to be available through every dealer.

Modern luxury cars can generate four-figure repair bills left and right. The first question people ask about my 328 is whether it's reliable enough to actually drive and whether the repairs have bankrupted me -- i.e., the usual Ferrari stereotypes. The truth is that the 328 is more expensive to maintain than a lot of other 1987 cars, but when you put it up against the complicated Intel-inside modern stuff it starts to look almost "normal" with regard to costs.

The 355 is a much more complicated car than a 328, and the parts can be far more expensive, but I think you make a fair point that when you consider the crap that can go wrong in a modern Merc/BMW/Porsche, then an older exotic doesn't look as bad as it might.

That said, I have seen an $18,000 major service + incidentals bill for a 355. Aside from a Testarossa, I don't know of any other modern-ish Ferrari that can bite you in the a$$ the way a needy 355 can.

I agree. Having been involved with Ferraris for some time, I wouldn't put a 355 Spider on my want list, and I would avoid the old F1 system. But I wouldn't turn down a drive in someone else's. ;) They are probably the sexiest Ferrari after the 328.

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was gonna say "you have a snowball's chance in Ecuador"....

22. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    would have been a poor choice as Ecuador gets snow :)

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ok, let's stick with Trinidad then.

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    1 min search I see this:
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=267723594&dealer_id=64542069&car_year=1997&rdm=1253377190721&model=F355&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=FER&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=90503&advanced=y&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=2245&standard=false

1997 355 spy 25k miles $39k and not selling. So I bet you could show up with $35k cash and do the deal!

And there are a ton like this:
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/1378074971.html

for $10k more NOT selling and easily gotten for $5k less or maybe more.

So is it snowing in Trinidad?

25. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Bottom line is you get what you pay for. After having owned all the Ferraris from 1980 on, I can say the 355 is the most reliable and practical one I have had, period. If you spend good money on the right car, you will be rewarded in the long run. The 355 is the best selling Ferrari of all time, there is a reason why. I say wait for the right one, and don't settle for less.