Opinions on BMW 2002? | FerrariChat

Opinions on BMW 2002?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by smj113, Mar 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smj113

smj113 Karting

Oct 23, 2007
    Philly Suburbs
    Looking for feedback on driving impressions/durability/reliability/parts cost/ownership experience.

I may have the opportunity to pick up BMW 2002 for next to nothing (maybe even for free). My cousin has an late-70s orange one that she no longer drives. It has been sitting for about a year, so it may need fluids/belts/hoses/battery to get it running well again. I haven't driven it before, but I believe that it has an engine from a BMW 320 and a 5-speed trans. Her brother-in-law (who is a car-guy) gets it running for her every now and then, but then she forgets about it again. It has been sitting (in a garage) for a while now.

Not looking for it to be an original showcar, just a fun driver. I could register it as an antique/classic to save on insurance costs and drive it occasionally. Antique plates in PA allow for 2500 miles per year and no inspections. I can't imagine insurance would be too bad.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Fun and easy to work on. I learned every mechanical skill I have on a 2002.

3. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    my friend has one. They are fun and pretty simple cars. The cost of ownership is nothing krazy like an Fcar.

4. smj113

smj113 Karting

Oct 23, 2007
    Philly Suburbs
    Good to know that it is easy to work. I would also be looking for this to be a learning experience from a mechanical perspective.

5. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    I had a fully restored '75. While it was restored, it wasn't a show-car by any stretch of the imagination, but let me tell you that thing was so much fun. It was neon green with a gorgeous tan interior. I drove it with collectors plates on it which basically meant my insurance was next to nothing. The car was slow as hell and taking it on the highway wasn't exactly wise, but for getting around town, it was a ton of fun. Easy to drive, engaging, and drew a lot of attention from on-lookers. I wish I had pictures...

I say go for it!

6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    See above, +100. Lovely little cars, loads of character, rewarding to drive with faults that are easy to overlook. Rust ate tons of them up here, check to make sure nothing looks soggy (ie; shock towers etc.) before spending time or money.

7. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I had a 71 2002 with a TI/SA cylinder head, a 290 degree cam and 45mm DCOE Webers, Venolia pistons and a 13:1 compression ratio. Along with the ZF 5 speed from a TI/SA it was a true hoot to drive and with almost 200 hp it would do 0-60 in about six seconds flat. It was huge fun surprising muscle cars in the stoplight 500...

2002's are simple honest cars. They are pretty robust, and fun to drive. In comparison to today's cars the steering will seem a bit loose, but with a modern set of tires it is a very enjoyable car to drive. And yes they rust in the rockers, and at the back of the front fenders where junk can get trapped and then get wet and rot, and of course in the area where the struts mount.

If it doesn't cost you much go for it.

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    The 2002 was so far ahead of its time . In 1970 they had overhead camshaft, four wheel independent suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes. The TII would be my choice but a standard car was still loads of fun to drive. I actually prefer the original engine over the 320 engine.........

Go ahead and try to get it if you can. Loads of fun.........and inexpensive to keep.

9. Turner

Turner Karting

Sep 6, 2004
    EC
    Full Name:
    Turner
    i fully restored a 72 2002tii years ago and learned alot. there is seriously only ONE thing that is wrong with these cars and that is RUST. make sure you know what the rust situation is on the car before getting involved with one. check the rockers, firewall and the rear shock mounts. Those areas are really suspect for rust. otherwise they are cheap, fun and reliable. good luck!

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

An absolutely awesome, but potential, rustbucket of a car...........be careful and check it over well.......clean rust free examples are rare, treasured by their owners, and an unreal blast to drive.

11. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hey guys,

Glad to see a thread already exists about these cars! I am going to look at two of them today. The first one is described as:

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1374227452.html

"Very nice little car with very strong motor and drivetrain, round tail light model. Rebuilt motor by previous owner with Tii pistons for higher compression. Body
    has some rust, but certainly fixable, has flush mount front turn signals. Interior needs some fixes. New brake pads, rebuilt calipers, and new front wheel
    bearings this year. All lights work, all chrome is present, good heater, and very good tires on her. Updated rear axles with CV joints, not the straight axle
    typically found on this year of 02. Not perfect but is good running and driving car and is very dependable. Some parts to go with it. Need to eliminate some
    cars, so this one needs to sell. No trades, scams or out of country buyers."

The seller is only asking $1800 so I am not expecting much. I will definitely check out the rust. I live in Boise, Idaho where we don't salt our roads but the rust concerns me. Any other tips? What do you guys think about the engine rebuild and "updated rear axles"?

Next is a 1972 2002. I haven't called on it yet and his Craigslist ad is minimal at best:

"very nice little car needs to finishing make my an offer I need a van ford or chevrolet 1980 to 1997 cargo or passenger that I ken trade for info.
    call 447-7677 thanks for looking
    the car runs good"

Any good websites to look at for parts and info? I've checked out bmw2002faq, Ireland Engineering, and Only02.

Thanks!