FCA Trip: Drive To The Sun Sept 18-20th, 2009 | FerrariChat

FCA Trip: Drive To The Sun Sept 18-20th, 2009

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by synchro, Sep 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 synchro, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Arrowleaf Bistro hosted us for a fabulous dinner and followed it with a fantastic dessert menu. Kuzi recommended this restaurant last year and it is simply amazing.

Afterwards we retired to to the Sun Mountain lodge game room where we were served refreshing water and held our international ping pong tournament, foosball games and watched sporting events

We also found out that on the road up in the afternoon only one Ferrari was stopped by an officer - for going too slow... but hey the four twisty sections through Diablo pass all have yellow, 30mph signs separated by a quarter mile and there is no white "50mph" sign indicating a speed up zone. Of course he wasn't able to write a ticket for that...
    Perhaps he just wanted to see the cars?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FerrariWA

FerrariWA Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2004
    Seattle/London
    Full Name:
    Thomas Summerfield
    Thanks Scott for filling us in! Hope the weather there is better then here!

3. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Thanks for posting Scott. Looks like a great turnout. We'll see you guys tomorrow.

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Looks like fun!

5. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    Thanks for posting some pics mid-trip, Scott! Looks like a whole lot of fun. You've missed a rainy Saturday west of the mountains. Have fun!!
    - Will

6. ST&A

ST&A Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Lake Stevens
    Full Name:
    Sid Thayer
    Hey Guys you have been spotted, i was in eastern wa, today and saw a group of you, heading north near Okanogon. I was going south heading over loup loup pass. I have been hunting in the Aeneas Mountain range, Absolutely beautiful, i also spotted Don's and Romeo's Ferrari in Winthrop and a small group in Twisp.

Looks like you were all having a great time. Take care and have a fun safe trip home.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 synchro, Sep 20, 2009
    The weather has been great. Some dramatic clouds to the West were seen but we were never sprinkled on. The fall colors were nice and several of us went for a drive that skirted the Candian border. Tried to find a new back road through Loomis and it was fun. These routes are remote but the road is great as you can cruise along and not worry about bottoming out or kicking up gravel. Stopped at Trinos for a great Mexican lunch.

The FCA Desert Region President attended and brought his F355 - Allen was a hoot to drive with. Tapped the V1 cause I couldn't believe that it was so quiet - I only got one X band ping at the start. Some of the remote canyons are so scenic with the North facing hills lush and green while the Southern facing was completely different, barren and nearly dessert like.
    Bottom line: found a new driving route that is wonderfully unimpeded but we'll need to get up a bit earlier next time to do it all. A true driver's dream.

After we returned we had a Cowboy chuckwagon ride down to the Hough Homestead for dinner. We made our own entertainment, had "walk off" on the catwalk to determine the best cowboy.

A startling transformation from Roy appeared...Ahem... before returning for our ping pong tournament and tequila pool game and general social time.

Got your call at 11:18AM and couldn't return it for 20 minutes (can't hold a conversation in that car) but your phone only left you VM. At the turnoff from 153 to 20 two doe deers with fawns and juveniles crossed our path and we had to stop. They're around en masse and the locals scared when they said that more are killed on the highway than by hunters.

8. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    I HAD a blast...great fun great people

Thanks Scott and all the others that worked so hard to put this together.

9. ST&A

ST&A Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Lake Stevens
    Full Name:
    Sid Thayer
    Hey Scott i would have loved to stop and have lunch but i have this terrible mobile service, "T-Mobile" that i did not get your voice mail till i got to Winthrop. It looks like you guys had a great time, i guess i am going to have re-join the club.

Hey Roy it looks like you and Ted were have to good of a time.......LOL

Roy got to love your outfit though, you are the life of the party..........

10. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Scott and Janet thanks so much for putting together a great event. We had a blast.
    Scott thanks for taking one for the team on the way over. I'm sure he would have come straight to us :)

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #12 synchro, Sep 20, 2009
    Another beautiful day for the trip home. The group of 51 broke into smaller factions for the drive back. Suntan lotion was a must.

This was definitely the "more cowbell" trip.
    The third photo of the Dino close-up is Mike L.'s, used with permission.

Thanks for coming, this was THE best trip ever, mostly because of the people. Congratulations on your announcement!
    How was the "back way" through 97 & Wenatchee?

At Washington Pass we picked up an over zealous BMW 3 series that must have been myopic as he was inches from our tails. After 20 miles I just had to pull our group over to let him by and he stopped with us wanting to chat about the cars.
    LOL
    Talk about generating enthusiasm!

12. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Looking like an awesome event!

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Glad the weather worked out for you guys. Saturday on the west side was a drenching downpour in the convergence zone, which was fine, It got me out of mowing the lawn.

14. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    very fun event, thanks again Scott!

15. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    #16 h2oskier, Sep 21, 2009
    Scott we had a fantastic trip back across Hwy 2 actually. We had heard that 90 was shutdown to 1 lane for construction so suffered through goldbar sultan concrete monroe etc etc etc but .......HWY 2. We had plenty of fun within the limits of our cars :)

I've got no car pics...but we went for a nice hike saw a little bit of nature. Industrial sized Beaver Dam a Little Baby Rattle and a shot of Our own pro photo guy and girl on the cuff of most likely an amazing photo if both stop to look....gotta haul 25lbs of camera's on a 6 1/2 mile hike don't you Atomic

also thru in 2 canadian's so they wouldn't feel left out ;)

16. TommyJames

TommyJames Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2008
    Thanks Scott and Janet for a great event!

17. lpm 505

lpm 505 Karting

Aug 26, 2008
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    William
    Looks like a lot of fun ! Tommy, that's a lot of driving for you in one week ! See you soon !

18. TommyJames

TommyJames Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2008
    Hey William! Yea it was. I was rather worn out by the time we hit Sun Mountain but it was still very fun. I'm glad you made it down to OC and got to enjoy a different environment. You've also done your share of driving! Hope Vegas was fun. Hopefully more of us can make the next Ferrari or Lamborghini event.

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks!
    I was hoping somebody got a few photos of the Cowboy contest winners getting their commemorative wine glasses!
    Leanne Lee won the Cowgirls category
    and
    Brant Mash won the Cowboy category.
    These guys really went all out in their costumes, even Ted W did his best Willy Nelson impression (without trying).

BTW, we thought those pink, frilly fringed cowgirl hats with LED hatband flashing red-green-blue would be embarassing so we bought EVERY SINGLE HAT in the Duck Band store at Winthrop. Turns out every lady loved them (note: Roy was envious), and folks were not even the slightest bit afraid to wear them. Boy what a fun time!

For those who noticed the camo cowboy hat and wondered who won that category, well Ken L won that for most likely to talk politics with a duck while hunting it.
    LOL!

Did anyone get a shot of the newly engaged Andrews couple in their hats?

20. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks like it was a great trip!

21. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    For those who noticed the camo cowboy hat and wondered who won that category, well Ken L won that for most likely to talk politics with a duck while hunting it.
    LOL!

I thought it was for talking politics with a duck while hunting a liberal.

22. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Scott I am sure that Atomic has pictures he is working on for you....Remember he's newly in Love and doesn't have time on the computer like he used to.......

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Eric really needs photos for the Club magazine and we're already past teh due date.
    Jason perhaps?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.