califonia in manual?? | FerrariChat

califonia in manual??

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by pmotoring, Sep 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    may I know is there any 3 padals califonia..?? possible any pictures of it..???

2. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    dont hold your breath

3. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    probably only in a fantasy

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Technically and financially difficult to do because of the dual clutch gearbox, which is not compatible with a clutch pedal and manual shifter. Would require a completely new transmission, which Ferrari will likely not build for the California. They have already stated there will be no manual shifter transmission for the 458, and there is less justification for one in the California.

F1 and manual shifter transmissions use the same transmission and clutch. Only the shifter mechanisms and clutch throw-out bearings and position sensors are different. Dual clutch transmissions are a completely different animal from F1 electro-hydraulic shifters.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    ^^^ that is correct

6. Lars Theunissen

Lars Theunissen F1 Veteran

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    Yesterday I got a tour of the Ferrari factory and asked the tour guide if any manual Californias had been built so far. The answer was "no, all are F1".

Interestingly, the tour guide then told that Ferrari is currently considering building a limited edition manual California. No further details available on "if", "when" and "how many", but at least Ferrari seem to be considering it now.

Ciao,

Lars T.

7. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Great rationale why not. This 3 pedal question just will not die in various model forums. Even if they made it a perhaps only very small minority would opt for it.

It is hard to understand why Ferrari would do it since they have invested so much in the DSG and it has come out so incredibly well.

8. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I think there will be a group of followers, the cult of the gated shifter, that will always want 3 pedals and a stick shift, even if they are in the slim minority. Not everyone must have the latest iteration of the paddle shifter.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Charlie- It could conceivably cost $50K extra per car to do a new manual shifter transmission for the 5% or so Ferrari owners who want one. How many California or 458 owners would step up to the plate for that kind of money?

This is not a shifter question, like it was for the 355/360/575/612/f430/599 Ferraris with identical transmissions for either choice. The yearned for capability requires a completely new transmission in the California and 458. Would take some owners with deep pockets (think of several like Jim G/Napolis) to convince Ferrari to pull that off, and it might still be too steep an investment.

In the past, Ferrari underestimated the demand for F1 style shifters. Not any more.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. technician F

technician F Karting

Sep 15, 2009
    califonia has 7 speed DCT and 6 speed manual transmission to choose.

11. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Manual transmissions are for men what 'nice guys' are for girls. Everyone says they want one, but when it comes time to step up to the plate almost everyone balks.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    technician F- Afraid you are wrong on this one.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    #13 410SA, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  14. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The 6 speed manual comes with a bridge in Brooklyn

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alex- Always wanted a bridge. Have bombed a few, but never owned one.

What is the option price on the mermaid?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

16. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Well I won't refute what you suggest; I'm just saying there will be for some time a cult of gated shifter following. The market and numbers dictate what is offered.

IIRC, Nissan's GT-R has a rear mounted DSG, and the GT500 version, the tube-framed race version, uses the same unit (a version of it) and that car has a sequential manual, with 3 pedals. So as far as that is concerned you can retrofit a DSG with a stick. Don't ask me how they did it ;) have no idea.

Sure the sequential is a straight back and forth setup, but it will still give you the whole manual/3-pedal feel.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Charlie- Will have to do some research on how they do it.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

18. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I was at the unveiling in Santa Monica just about a year ago, word was that a 6 speed manual option would be offered "in the future". The future is here and still none and like Taz, I doubt there ever will be. Even when the choice was 6 speed paddles or stick, only a smal minority (of which I am one) ordered sticks. With a choice of 7 speed paddles vs 6 speed sticks, I'm sure the number of stick buyers dwindles even more, especially in a car like the CA. A 7 speed sequential would be cool in any model and can certainly be marketed as a racing type even if not F1. Trouble is, very few people who aren't hard core race fans have any idea of what a sequential is.

Dave