911 Targas : bad stigma? | FerrariChat

911 Targas : bad stigma?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by thecarreaper, Sep 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i have had 3 911s, and a bunch of other cool cars. i have been on the hunt for a m491 turbo look car, and have had help in the other thread.

i keep finding targas for sale, and i have been warned by a a friend i trust that 911 targas are hard to sell and have a "stigma" attached to them. i am missing what he he has been trying to tell me i guess, becasue the 911 boards have some great deals on older 911s right now.

note : i am focused on 84-89 911s only.

i have never liked open topped cars, but i delt with my lotus, and two lambo jalpas just fine. two of my three 911s were sunroof coupes. are targas " that bad" . i can get a very, very clean low miles targa for around $15k. i may drop the hammer on one i found later today ot tomorrow. ( waiting for Pelicans site to be back up !!!!)

so what say you about the Taga 911s!!!

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Don't drive one through a car wash!

Sooner or later, they all leak.

However, there is a guy in Colorado who is supposed to the best at rehabbing targa tops. I can't remember his name, but I bet he advertises in the back of Excellence.

Dale

PS I'm gonna start a thread in the general car forum about pony cars, and you're invited!

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No real stigma that I can think of. I had a nice Targa years ago, and I did sell it while in search for a coupe (the Targa back glass was just not shaped right to my eye) but it sold super fast.

Dan Patchel is the Targa top guru - but if you buy a good one the top should be fine.

http://www.carsincnj.com/

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

or, put one on a lift and try to open or close the doors! targas are flexible flyers...i always say that as a porsche owner, you will only own 1 targa. the one you own and the associated issues will keep you from ever owning another.

btw, my first 911 was a 74 targa...it was also my last targa!!!

pcb

5. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A three word summary of targa ownership: leaks, creaks, and squeaks

6. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    I didn't like my Targa at all, I cut a top off a rusted coupe and converted mine to a coupe.

7. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    They spoil the smooth flow of the roofline. If you want wind-in-the-hair drive, you need a convertible - better still, the Speedster.

8. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Dig those early 911 'softtop' Targas, though.

9. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #9 thecarreaper, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Looks nice. Frankly, this is why I'm a fan of same year 911s over 3x8 Ferraris. The buy in is $10k cheaper, parts and expertise are relatively cheap, and they are a blast to drive.

Dale

11. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    seller wont go for $15k. i understand , as its seems really nice. i can get a beater slopenose for $17-19k. ill have to think on this a day or so. never paid attention to targas before, so i dont know much about them.

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My brother had a '92 964 Targa and got tired of the creaking and squeaking.

I don't know if an '84-'89 would be better, but they're all unit-body cars (like the Ferrari 348/355), so I suspect you'd have to accept some noise and leaks. If you don't like the 308/328 targas -- which are old school body-on-frame cars -- you probably won't love the targa 911s.

I have driven an '87 Targa with the roof panel off, and for casual use on public roads I actually preferred it to an '84 cabriolet. It's kind of a signature Porsche look, although I think the whale tail on a Targa has always looked a bit "busy".

13. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#13 Kds, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
    I like Targa's......they are one of the classic looks, as defined by Porsche, and much safer than cabriolets if you roll them over. They are also more structurally rigid than cabs, and just as much fun IMHO.

Only problem is that the seals on the windshield "A" frame and targa bar wear out with age, and you eventually have to also pay for a complete targa top recon at some point. Figure on $5K +/- for everything to make one right, including hours of door and window adjustment time as you break it in. A big % investment on a car only worth between $15-30K...........

14. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great posts. i have always been the GTB guy on here, so i guess i will go with my gut and hold out for a slopenose coupe.

you would think i could find another euro 911, there are easy to register where i am, and not so easy in other States.

i miss the green special wishes ZZZ vin 84 Carrera i had!

thanks again for the help.

i will keep looking.

15. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    I've owned several older targas. Never had a problem with selling them. ;)

I've always like them more than the coupes. More headroom, more vesatile, and that curved rear glass has always been one of it's most beautiful features...to my eye.

Never had any problems with "squeeks". But they're getting older now, maybe that's the difference, I don't know.

16. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ok, i deserve to be burned at the keyboard.......

i bought the Targa today.

hoping Demoise Trucking can pick it up asap in zip 12540 (New York).

i will now see if my dislike of open top cars will be changed by this targa.

it is in super nice shape, with low miles, and was cheap ! :)

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Put sunscreen on your scalp.

18. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    pics when you have'em please.

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Congratulations, Mr. Reaper Man, Sir. How many cars have you had now? 200?

20. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    since the age of 14 i have had about 150. thats counting the beater parts cars too though!

been thinking on your comment, and i realized i totally agree with you. thats what was wrong / different that i could not put my finger on. i ordered some silver carrera side graphics for the car. i think i will remove the whaletail, store it, and buy a fiberglass decklid with a ducktail and install it. i think a ducktail would look better with the targas lines.

:)

21. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  22. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    enjoy. looks groovy in black.

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Buy the MA Shaw ducktail........it is much better than the GT Racing part.

Expect to pay $500 for prepping, painting and fitting on top of the part cost.

I've done about 6 of them.

24. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    #24 James_Woods, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    In 1969, Car & Driver tested each of the Porsche models:

911S coupe, 911E coupe, 911T targa, 912 coupe.

The 911T targa made the second fastest lap times - beating the more powerful 911E coupe.

The C & D comment was that perhaps the more flexible suspension (yes, they mentioned the frame stiffness too) and relatively greater low end torque of the 911T made this possible. Many early 911T targas had the optional hydraulic front self leveling shocks instead of the torsion bars.

All of my Porsche 911 cars have been Targas except for one non-sunroof coupe I ordered with some Autocross style suspension options. My current 993 is the glass-roof Targa.

The Targa carried no stigma in the early 911 days. And none now, as far as I am concerned.

25. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    James, would you say that on the early 911s that the coupes sell for more than the targas?

I've found that to be the case, at least up to 1974 and the Great Disfigurement.