1981 top left relay part number? | FerrariChat

1981 top left relay part number?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Big Daddy, Sep 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    I have an '81 GTSi.

Does anyone know the correct replacement part for the top left relay in the fuse panel?

The previous owner stuck a new relay in there, and it sticks out so far I cant get the fuse panel cover to stay put. It may be the correct replacement, but I'd like to make sure.

Thanks.

2. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    most of the relays are cross referenced to new bosch part numbers.The relay should have a part number stamped on it somewhere. I ordered a bunch of relays a few years back. There were three different types for my car. What does your owners manual say the function of it is?

3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    I don't have the original relay, just the one that was in there when I bought the car last year, and it is obviously a replacement. Like I said, it is interfering with the cover, so I think maybe it is the wrong unit.

I don't have a manual so I don't know the function. I downloaded a manual for a QV, but the relay lay out seems to be different.

4. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    OK then, Paul_308 may be able to help you out with a wire diagram set. You should consider getting this as its been pretty useful in trying to track down some of my wiring issues.

5. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Also try going to the Ferrari Owners site... register your car then download the manual.

6. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    +1 on diagrams and owner's manual

The top left relay is the turn signal flasher and is physically different. Get one at AutoZone or Schucks, taking the old one with you to insure the contacts are in the same position as there are 2 and 3 terminal devices out there.

One unlikely caveat, if you have changed your turn signal bulbs to leds, you will need a special flasher which can adapt to the lower current. On mine, I had to modify the socket placing a note for the next owner. Reason for special relay:

Turn signal flashers are speed sensitive to the current in the circuit which is good. If a turn signal bulb burns out lowering current, the flasher will go slower. Being an alert astute driver you will note the click of the relay has changed and rectify the situation.