Full 30k service or just change belts and tensioners? | FerrariChat

Full 30k service or just change belts and tensioners?

Discussion in 'New England' started by davem, Sep 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Its been 6 years and a bit over 7k miles since its last 30k service. My Mondial 3.2 has been pretty much trouble free since sorting it out when purchased. So does it really need a full 30k service???

Also if anyone has recent experience with costs from any shop in the area, and would share here or thru PM that would be a great help.

I called one shop here in Ct. The quote seemed high, but to be fair to them they were my first call. Im hesitant to name them just yet.

Thanks,

Dave

2. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    There are a few folks in your area that have there car serviced here...PM me or give me a call (if you still have my number). Personally, I always pull the valve covers to do the timing belts...and do a full major. Six years is a pretty long time on the cam seals and other rubber components.

Best,
    David

3. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    David,

I met David (Fastradio) last weekend. He seemed to be very knowledgable and trustworthy. He is up in New Hampshire. If you are looking for a shop a little closer, I use Black Horse Garage in Bridgeport, CT. They will probably be a little more expensive than David, but a little closer.

After 6 years, I would start planning on the full major service to adjust the valves and replace all the gaskets / seals.

Joe

www.blackhorsegarage.com

4. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    A friend recommended Nino's Performance in Bethany. Anyone here have any experience with them?

David i wish you were closer! Black Horse seemed high. Wanted to take the engine out.

5. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Might also consider Pocono Sports car. Jim McGee did my gearbox last winter with outstanding results. A very capable Ferrari trained shop with reasonable pricing. He's located in the NY, NJ, PA corner. I'm guessing about 1.5 or 2 hours from you.

http://www.poconosportscar.com/

As far as "just belts", thats a risk you'll have to consider. Some feel its best to handle the wear items while your in there, others wait till they break. Problem is if you wait for failure it's gonna cost more, possibly a lot more.

Lane

6. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    I think I'm about 1.5 hrs away...Not really a big deal, as I store everything that comes in during the Fall months through the Winter; Inside, warm and happy! Need a ride home? Not big deal, either...

Regarding pulling the engine for the major; Yes and no. If the car has seen good care through the years, I do not pull them. However, every second or third major on a Mondial, I do pull them, as it gives me an opportunity to address all of the water and fuel hoses, with greater ease....as well as degreeing the cams is (more) possible.

Regardless, it is possible to do a top notch major without pulling the drivetrain!!

For perspective, pulling the drivetrain adds about $1,500-$1,600 to the cost, plus any additional "while you're in there" labor and materials needed....

Best,
    David